Aug 4, 2011, 9:15 PM EST
US Presswire file photo
Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies.
Though they lost yesterday's series finale to the Braves, the Nationals played much better baseball over the second half of their homestand (once the trade deadline passed) than they did over the first half. Now, they begin their final three-city road trip of the season, one that winds up in Chicago and Philadelphia but starts tonight in Colorado with the first of four games against the Rockies.
Davey Johnson is sticking with the lineup that has begun to produce for him. Leadoff hitter Rick Ankiel has a .368 on-base percentage and .963 OPS since July 1. No. 3 hitter Ryan Zimmerman is on a 12-game hitting streak, during which time he's hitting .423. Cleanup man Michael Morse has actually been more productive since the All-Star break (.347/.413/.597) than he was before it (.306/.351/.535). And Jayson Werth has finally found his groove, posting a .900 OPS since the All-Star break.
Ross Detwiler starts tonight, making his return to the rotation after a short stint in the bullpen. If the former first-round pick is going to establish once and for all he can be a reliable starter in the big leagues, now's the time to show it.
I'm not in Denver for this series, but I will be covering the rest of the road trip next week. Enjoy tonight's game…
NATIONALS at ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:40 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Chance of storms, 76 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to RF
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions