Aug 5, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Stephen Strasburg has packed his bags and is leaving Viera.
It's been nearly one year since Stephen Strasburg last threw a pitch in the major leagues, that fateful, 91-mph changeup to Domonic Brown in Philadelphia in which the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow snapped and derailed perhaps the most-hyped rookie season in baseball history.
Strasburg has been mostly out of sight and out of mind since. That's usually the case with pitchers recovering from Tommy John surgery, who seem to drop off the face of the earth while rehabbing in Florida or Arizona, away from the spotlight of the big leagues.
So perhaps it took people by surprise this week when the Nationals revealed Strasburg's rehab in Viera is complete and he'll begin a minor-league rehab assignment Sunday in Hagerstown. Even more surprising to some, the Nats intend to activate Strasburg off the disabled list in early September and have him make four or five big-league starts before season's end.
For those who had all but forgotten about the right-hander, these developments might have come out of the blue. Wow, just like that, Strasburg is ready to come back?
For some, this plan doesn't make sense. Like Rob Dibble. You remember him. Former Nationals broadcaster. Got fired last September for a string of ill-fated statements on the air, includingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?
- Nats begin search for their next manager