Aug 5, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Stephen Strasburg has packed his bags and is leaving Viera.
It's been nearly one year since Stephen Strasburg last threw a pitch in the major leagues, that fateful, 91-mph changeup to Domonic Brown in Philadelphia in which the ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow snapped and derailed perhaps the most-hyped rookie season in baseball history.
Strasburg has been mostly out of sight and out of mind since. That's usually the case with pitchers recovering from Tommy John surgery, who seem to drop off the face of the earth while rehabbing in Florida or Arizona, away from the spotlight of the big leagues.
So perhaps it took people by surprise this week when the Nationals revealed Strasburg's rehab in Viera is complete and he'll begin a minor-league rehab assignment Sunday in Hagerstown. Even more surprising to some, the Nats intend to activate Strasburg off the disabled list in early September and have him make four or five big-league starts before season's end.
For those who had all but forgotten about the right-hander, these developments might have come out of the blue. Wow, just like that, Strasburg is ready to come back?
For some, this plan doesn't make sense. Like Rob Dibble. You remember him. Former Nationals broadcaster. Got fired last September for a string of ill-fated statements on the air, includingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers