Game 113: Nats at Rockies

Aug 6, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nationals look to make it two in a row at Coors Field tonight.

Last night's game was less notable for the final score (Nationals 5, Rockies 3) than it was for the scary scene in the top of the second that saw Colorado right-hander Juan Nicasio plummet to the ground after getting hit in the head by a line drive off Ian Desmond's bat. For those who haven't heard the latest update, Nicasio had surgery to stabilize a fractured C-1 vertebrae in his neck. Though the club said he's "resting comfortably," it's by no means an insignificant injury. The Rockies training staff is scheduled to update media members later today.

As for tonight's game, Livan Hernandez gets the ball for the Nationals. The veteran right-hander had been suffering through a rough stretch, but he bounced back nicely Monday to beat the Braves and allow only one run over six innings. The talented Jhoulys Chacin (who held the Nats to one run in seven innings last month but hasn't won in his last eight starts, pitches for Colorado.

I'm out of town for the rest of the weekend with limited access to my computer. I'll try to get the lineups posted later, but in the meantime I wanted to get the game thread up so everyone could read the latest on Nicasio. Enjoy tonight's game…

NATIONALS at ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:10 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Partly cloudy, 86 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from RF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:48 AM

I wouldn't have minded this so much last night, after that terrible injury. But tonight…sheesh.The third out in an inning just seems really out of reach for all our guys tonight.

2. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Anonymous said… Now Burnett fails the 2012 audition. Next? August 6, 2011 10:44 PM _______________Don't think so. Rizzo gave him a 2 year contract in the off-season.FP and Carpenter had the same conversation that some of you had last night about the really bad bullpen other than Clippard & Storen.

3. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:48 AM

Gonat, thanks for mentioning Staples, where I go whenever I see one of those dreadful B-Movie W.B. Mason ads.

4. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:49 AM

I just want there to be a trap door right behind the pitcher's mound — you let a run score and -BAM — down the trap door! What do you think?

5. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:52 AM

They're doing that gosh darn wave again! This was good for us last night. Maybe it will help again, by dissipating the energy of the Rockies! Morse…get a dinger.

6. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Michael Morse can hit the baseball – no?

7. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:56 AM

Psst – don't tell Jayson–there is a runner in scoring position.

8. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:59 AM

I don't know what Davey could have done differently tonight, apart from pull Livo a little earlier. But even if he had, he has no one to go to. Thats not his fault. I have to believe if we had anyone in the minors who could come in, we would have seen 'em up by now.Oh, Werth. I feel terrible for you. Another 9 pitch at bat ending in nothing.

9. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Oh, gee – Jayson with a K and a runner on base.Just shocked.

10. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Gonat – Who do you like the best of the Nats you've played with?

11. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:02 AM

HRod – this is interesting….

12. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:08 AM

And the game slows to a crawl.

13. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:08 AM

Dave Sheinen did an "All Nice Guy" team. Will Nieves was the catcher – always had a smile on his face, just so happy to be here. Sean "The Mayor" Casey was at 1st. Charlie Manuel managed. Jamie Carroll was at second. Vinnie Castilla may have been at 3rd – maybe Zimm would qualify among active players.

14. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:08 AM

After flyout to left, Dunn (0-4) lifted for Lillibridge who homers to put the game away for the Sox, and we come home to my brother's house. What the ??? is going on in Denver???

15. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:10 AM

NatsLady — Livo meltdown, bullpen – gas on the fire. Crazy night – it will take you a while to catch up.

16. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:10 AM

flynnie said… Gonat – Who do you like the best of the Nats you've played with? August 6, 2011 11:01 PM ________________Definitely Craig Stammen. He plays like a pro with birdie opportunities on most holes. I have never golfed with Clippard and heard he is really good. Old Nat Tim Redding was good too.

17. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Oh — NatsLady — you have missed an eventful night.

18. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Is this book a comedy or a tragedy?

19. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Gonat — both?

20. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:16 AM

NatsLady – It's a good ol' fashioned slugfest. The Rockies are slugging. The Nats are festering.

21. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:16 AM

gonatsgo said…Oh — NatsLady — you have missed an eventful night.——————-And, for the sake of your blood pressure, you should be very glad that you did…

22. Drew8 - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:17 AM

With the bases loaded and down six runs, he walks a .157 hitter.There are no words.He pitches like Carl Lewis sings.

23. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Didn't have good enough internet connection to watch the Nats game from Target Field. Saw from the out of town scoreboard it was 9-2 and then 9-7, come home it's 13-7. Guess I will check the gameday summary and boxscore, but they probably don't do it justice.

24. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:19 AM

The sense of humor seen here is what gets me through a game like this. I hope they can turn the page for tomorrow. Keep the hits and runs, fix the pitching.

25. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:19 AM

baseballswami, yep, both. Every pitcher except Gorzelanny has played to their scouting report and that isn't a good thing.Coffey can't finish an inning. Livan is inconsistent. Henry Rodriguez is wild and you can hit him when he misses his spots. Burnett will hang one to the 1st batter and score whoever he inherits on base.That sure wraps it up and a good thing Matteus didn't throw.

26. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:20 AM

We just need two grand slams to tie!

27. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:21 AM

I'm not sure how they can keep Hrod on this team. Johnson looked really pissed.

28. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Come on Brian — all we need is an 8 run homer to tie it! The tying run is somewhere in the dugout!

29. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:22 AM

They have a very funny rule at Target Field that they announce by loud speaker when you come into the park: You are allowed to have umbrellas in the park but you are not allowed to use them. Nope, you can't open them in the seating area (where it might rain).

30. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:23 AM

Exposremains, real simple:HRod=Josh WillinghamThe best we will get is a long trip to the DL

31. Eugene in Oregon - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:23 AM

flynnie said…We just need two grand slams to tie!———————–I think we have a better chance of getting a TD and a two-point conversion…

32. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:24 AM

Night all – it's been real……

33. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Seems so Eugene, seems so. And the game comes to a merciful end. The Nats pitchers don't have to pitch, and the hitters don't have to hit until tomorrow afternoon, after which they get a day off. Nights like this make the victories so unlikely and exhilerating! They did this with the Braves, if memory serves. Just got thrashed and came back to win the next day. But, to quote Whitey Herzog, "We're just one or two players short of the playoffs: Babe Ruth and Whitey Ford."

34. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:31 AM

And I will follow Swammi out the door. Thanks for making a trying night fun!

35. skidge - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:43 AM

AArrrggghhh!!! (But thanks, Drew8!)

36. NatsLady in Minnesota - Aug 7, 2011 at 3:45 AM

Huh? Day off? Nats have 3 against the Cubs after Sunday. No day off until Thursday. Boy, are we TERRIBLE on the road.

37. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 5:59 AM

Gonat, thanks for those snapshots of golf-playing Nats! I also love the idea Flynnie shared of the "all nice guy" team. Livo goes on my roster, as does Morse. But what the IDEA of an all nice guy team did for me was collapse the construct I've had in my heart about when and why I like various players, "All nice guy" team membership is 50% of why I liked Dunn so much (homers being the other part). And I truly didn't register how much the "nice guy, I like you" factor played into my views. I'm a little appalled, actually.

38. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 11:34 AM

JaneB – You're a moral North Polar Star. Stars should be likeable. e.g. Cal was at short. The whole world is rooting for Dunn – it was on the front page of the Wednesday Times! I would not want Barry Bonds, Jose Guillen, Albert Belle, or Roger Clemens (who beaned Piazza and then threw a broken bat at him from the mound) on my team. And Zimm et. al. where glad to see Jose Guillen leave.

39. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 11:38 AM

NatsLady – Condolences on seeing Dunn go 0-4, only to see the home team lose on a home run by his replacement! And when you turn to the Nats for consolation, you see that their piching staff has everyone thinking of doing a swap with the Sally league.

40. Another_Sam - Aug 7, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Regulars here know that there's no one more in Livan's camp than me. But after that inexplicable play he made on the bunt I'm thinking it's time for him to miss a few starts. Another thought: did I read correctly that Lannan has a winning record going into today? Knock me over with a feather.

41. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:32 PM

Agree on Lannan. Livo was awesome in Houston. I wouldn't ditch him on the basis of one bad start at one mile high. And, for perspective, this excellent post:Mark'd said…Livo's starts. Good, bad, good, good, bad, good for March/April. Bad, bad, good, good, good, bad for May. Good, bad, great, bad, good for June. Good, bad, good, good, bad for July. Great, awful for August. Nats could be 7-17 in games Livan starts after tonight. That record coupled with a 4.41 ERA.August 6, 2011 9:42 PM

42. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Another_Sam, for next season I am with you but he is still a better option than Wang as this is Livo's pattern usually. Bad then good, so we can only hope. Did anyone have the stomach to watch the post-game show? I think it was Amanda Cormack asked Davey what he thought of Livan's record in Starts: 7-17. Davey brushed right by the question.

43. Wally - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM

Well, that was a stinker. Not much worth rehashing for me, so here are some season observations.Nats 54-59, with 49 games to play. 27-22 gets them to .500, 21-28 gets them to 75 wins. 14-35 gets them to 68 wins (finish worse than last year). I see .500 as more likely than 68 wins, with mid 70's most likely. They have slipped to -23 run differential, 11th in the league. I haven't checked trends but it feels like this has worsened over the last few weeks.They have the 5th best home record n the NL, but unfortunately they are tied for 14th in road record. The feeling that they can't win on the road is backed up by stats. Luckily, they have more than half their remaining games at home (26).So, with all that, it will come down to pitching. Anyone got any to spare?

44. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Another note from the post-game show. Ray Knight thinks Michael Morse can get to a .330 batting average and win the batting title. Morse is now in 3rd behind some guys named Jose Reyes and Ryan Braun.

45. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Flynnie, as I read that list of players, my stomach turned. Now I feel better rooting for good players I LIKE! Thanks.Livo is streaky, and he comes back. And he had some fine starts with NO RUN SUPPORT, especially early in tne season. I still put him out there ahead of Wang and Gorzo, whether he is a nice guy or not. Why do people remember only the bad stuff?

46. FS - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:24 PM

So any coverage of Strasburg's first rehab here? Mark is out of town, will Chase be able to provide something on that? Please, if possible. Will be much appreciated. Thanks.

47. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Wally, good stats and agree it will come down to pitching. As bad as Wang and Livo were this week, the bullpen isn't helping. The game last night and the Detwiler game were in reach if the bullpen both games held firm.