Game 113: Nats at Rockies

Aug 6, 2011, 7:00 PM EDT

US Presswire file photo
The Nationals look to make it two in a row at Coors Field tonight.

Last night's game was less notable for the final score (Nationals 5, Rockies 3) than it was for the scary scene in the top of the second that saw Colorado right-hander Juan Nicasio plummet to the ground after getting hit in the head by a line drive off Ian Desmond's bat. For those who haven't heard the latest update, Nicasio had surgery to stabilize a fractured C-1 vertebrae in his neck. Though the club said he's "resting comfortably," it's by no means an insignificant injury. The Rockies training staff is scheduled to update media members later today.

As for tonight's game, Livan Hernandez gets the ball for the Nationals. The veteran right-hander had been suffering through a rough stretch, but he bounced back nicely Monday to beat the Braves and allow only one run over six innings. The talented Jhoulys Chacin (who held the Nats to one run in seven innings last month but hasn't won in his last eight starts, pitches for Colorado.

I'm out of town for the rest of the weekend with limited access to my computer. I'll try to get the lineups posted later, but in the meantime I wanted to get the game thread up so everyone could read the latest on Nicasio. Enjoy tonight's game…

NATIONALS at ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 8:10 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Partly cloudy, 86 degrees, Wind 8 mph in from RF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. NatsLady in Minnesota - Aug 6, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Thanks, Mark. We needed a new post, the threads on the one from yesterday were getting seriouisly tangled. We're pulling for Juan Nicasio. Saw lots of posts on the MLB site from all over the country.Enjoy your break.

2. joemktg - Aug 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Many baseball safety innovations have come to market, e.g., Rawlings and their S100 Batting Helmet (protects up to 100MPH), Evoshield and their custom forming protective products (chest, shin, and Espy wears an Evo on the elbow). And Easton-Bell cannot come out fast enough with their new pitching helmet. Our pre-HS player wears the Evo for the chest, and uses the S100, and once Easton comes out with that pitchers helmet, it'll be on his dome. But pro baseball is not moving fast enough to adopt these protective measures. David Wright caught grief for wearing the oversized S100. And baseball is adamant about not extending protective netting around the back of dugouts. Until baseball (owners, players, union) starting moving faster than a glacial pace, I fear more accidents in the future. And it may be that death is the impetus for actions, e.g., Mike Coolbaugh's death a few years ago, that poor young girl from behind the goal during a hockey game. Do we really have to wait for tragedy to strike before adopting greater safety devices?

3. Will - Aug 6, 2011 at 7:36 PM

It looked like the real damage was caused after Nicasio was hit by the ball. He took a nasty fall onto his neck, maybe after losing consciousness in the split seconds after being hit, which is probably what caused the damage to his neck.Here's to hoping for a speedy recovery in time for next season!

4. Wally - Aug 6, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Joemktg – I am with you. Misplaced machismo and blind adherence to tradition causes these holdbacks. In my daughter's 10 yr old softball league, all the infielders wear faceguards (a little over the top, if you ask me, because most of them can't hit it on a fly to an infielder, but I have no issue with it)The pitcher issue is not as simple as putting up dugout protection though, because the helmet isn't addressing the bigger concern (the face). That moves you to masks, which may restrict lateral vision to holding runners on, etc, and also may distract a pitcher when they are in their wind up. But manufacturers should be able to address it, and something should be done. For instance, in the 7th inning or so, Morse hit a rocket up the middle for a hit (after 10 pitches or so) and it missed the pitcher by a foot. Could have been another nightmare.I also think broken bats are going to result in a really bad injury one of these days, but that has been talked about a lot.

5. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Really shocked by the severity of this injury – and it does appear that it happened when he fell. In general, it seems like the worst injuries actually happen in collisions, like Buster Posey. Everyone was talking about Lannan last night, watching as it happened, but Jordan got hit with line drive in college and had his jaw wired shut. That must have brought back scary memories for him, too – and he had to go out there and pitch after it. Freak accidents can happen in any sports and baseball players wear almost no protection of any kind. I think even if you get hit in the head wearing a helmet, it would ring your chimes. Wishing the guy a speedy recovery – and I am so glad that the training staff was so well trained and kept him so still so as to prevent further damage. Good for them that they recognized the seriousness.They never let him move at all, thank goodness.

6. gonatsgo - Aug 6, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Everyone knows it's not Desi's fault but I bet he feels kind of strange about it. Ironic that he just really started hitting….2 weeks ago he would have struck out. Was it really just last Saturday that they traded Jimenez mid-game and this guy came in? Their team must be in shock over this.

7. Unkyd - Aug 6, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Gregg Easterbrook writes a column for ESPN.com, Tuesday Morning Quarterback (highly recommended by Unkyd! A long read, but wide ranging and witty…), during the football season. TMQ is relentless in his criticism on many subjects, but none more so than head protection, and the professional athlete's reluctance to wear anything that looks unusual! There is some very effective concussion-preventive head gear out there, but if the pros perceive it as goofy looking….notgonnadoit! TMQs issue is not so much the silliness of needless risk, over looking "cool", but that youngsters emulate their heroes, and wind up with more head injuries than they might otherwise have. One would think that, if products exist which significantly reduce risk, without affecting performance, that it would be in the interest of management, as well as labor, to mandate it's use, and even provide regular PSAs, during game broadcasts encouraging youngsters to follow suit…..I yield the soapbox… Get well soon, Nicasio!!! And GYFNGOGOGO!!!!!

8. Unkyd - Aug 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM

In response to FS, at the end of the previous thread: I don't recall having any points re: racial demographics. However, I've been reading about the decline of youth baseball, in urban settings, for years. Hoops seems to have supplanted it, on popularity. MLB demographics (according to Pro Sports Daily):MLB Total: 60% W-EUD, 9% B-AFD, 28.5% H/LD, 2.5% ASD70% National, 30% InternationalAt 9%, one can only expect to see a couple of AA players on any given 25 man roster, less than a third of the Latin representation. So, the comment overheard by NatsLady, would seem to ring true about most clubs.

9. CBinDC - Aug 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I have always said that baseball is the only sport that the objects you use to play the game can be used to kill. It does not make it a violent sport but one that has a hidden danger that you should be respected. That is what is great about baseball it really is so much like how your life plays out in the day to day. As for protection, well that can work against you. Have you ever seen the Clint Malarchuk throat cut from his protection shield, that was some horror. Ohh Natslady could you just answer one question where did you hear those comments thankz

10. FS - Aug 6, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Sorry Unkyd. I must have imagined it then. I forgot who mentioned it.

11. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 6, 2011 at 9:32 PM

"I have always said that baseball is the that the objects you use to play the game can be used to kill."CB, I take it you don't consider hunting a sport. Or watch much hockey, I think. Or lacrosse, for that matter. Still, point is a good one.

12. Grandstander - Aug 6, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Just weighing in on the race thing, I remember someone saying about how after Nyjer got into some kind of trouble in Milwaukee Rickie Weeks and Fielder pulled him aside and kinda talked to him.We've never really had too many African Americans on our team (Livo, Bernadina, Guzman etc. don't count because they're not American). The ones we do acquire seem to have a hard time in the clubhouse (Milledge, Dukes, Nyjer). I wonder if there has been some hazing? I know Billy Wagner hazed Milledge pretty hard when he was in NY. Bo Porter was working closely with Morgan in ST but that didn't seem to have an effect as he wasn't playing hard (according to Jayson Werth). Either way, we have enough problems on this team without bringing race into it.Laynce Nix has been struggling mightily as he takes a seat against a righty. Since the ASB he's batting a paltry .170/.220/.319 with 10 Ks in 47 ABs.I think we're close to the point we need to bring Marrero up and move Morse back to LF. I just hope we don't have to wait until the rosters expand to do it. Marrero up and Bixler down seems like a fair trade to me.

13. Exposremains - Aug 6, 2011 at 9:48 PM

Not to make excuses for Werth and the Nats for paying him a lot of money which I thought and still think it was the right move but Looking at C. Crawford line he has about contributed as much as Werth while making even more money.Yet, you always hear about how much the Nats overpaid and how ridiculous it was but I never hear how the Red Sox were so dumb to pay Crawford so much money.

14. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Exposeremains – Tom Boswell predicted that Carl Crawford would be a bust at Fenway. I'll try to find it and post it for you.

15. Exposremains - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Thanks Flynnie, I think I do remember reading that article.

16. Anonymous - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Call me when y'all are ready to discuss Nationals baseball. I have never seen more "off topic" discussions during the season and most are so-n-so said this and that. Sheesh.

17. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:08 PM

In looking, I found this, which should straighten up some criticisms wrongly directed at Rizzo: This is Boswell on December 15, 2010:"The key man in the Nats' future was probably on display on Wednesday. But it wasn't Werth, even though Rizzo praised him as a combination of "skill-set and an attitude – he has superstar talent and a dirt-bag mentality."That man is probably Rizzo himself. Ever since the Nationals came to Washington, authority has always been divided at the top. No one person has ever spoken to the team's board (the Lerners) with the full weight of the front office's baseball expertise.As recently as this July, Rizzo had a deal done to send Adam Dunn to the Chicago White Sox at the trade deadline for pitcher Edwin Jackson, 27, who has only a 48-51 career record but catches Rizzo's scouting eye with his 96 mph heat. Former team president Stan Kasten preferred to keep Dunn and try to sign him – immediately – to the kind of $37.5 million, three-year deal that Paul Konerko just took to stay in Chicago with the White Sox.Either solution would have constituted sensible baseball judgment. Tell Dunn: Sign by July 31 or we trade you for Jackson. Happens all the time. But the Nats did neither. The board followed Kasten's advice not to trade Dunn but didn't make an ultimatum and settle the issue."http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/15/AR2010121506929_3.html?sid=ST2010121507078

18. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I don't answer anonymous letters.

19. CBinDC - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Well I have seen about 1500 Hockey games in person and on TV in my life does that count as a lot. I guess i should have said team sports and lacrosse could count among that group but the point was all you do is take a baseball or bat and with nothing else kill. But I am not saying you should just it's the hidden nature of the object used to play the game. Break a hockey stick and you have a good spear. Guns do not kill have you not heard only people do and baseballs and bats

20. FS - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:15 PM

Honestly no player deserves the kind of money Crawford and Werth got. But a case can be made for Carl since he had a better career until last offseason than Werth to ask for that kind of money. So fans expected him to receive a deal like that, whereas Werth was expected to go to one of these big market teams with not as much money. Nationals upset those teams and overpaid Jayson. thtat's my understanding.

21. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:16 PM

From the same article:Rizzo is now under enormous pressure to produce. But that's the job he has wanted all his life. He's born and bred for this. For example, will he sign free agent first baseman Adam LaRoche, formerly of the Diamondbacks? His first piece of homework was to call his father, the lifelong scout. "Dad sat on Arizona all year," says Rizzo.If Rizzo seems down to earth, almost humble to the point of homespun, he's also the kind of uncomplicated straight shooter and dogged worker who seems to have connected with Ted Lerner.

22. LoveDaNats - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:20 PM

23. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:20 PM

Here's what I was looking for:Throughout his career, Crawford has hit Red Sox pitching just as well as he has hit against everybody else – that is, as long as the games were in Tropicana Field. There, he had a flashy slash line of .327/.363/.482. But in lopsided Fenway Park, which works against all his tendencies as a hitter, Crawford has only hit one home run every 85 at-bats. In 338 career plate appearances in Fenway, a large sample over many years, he has an ugly .275/.301/.406 line.There's a name for speedy, weak-armed left fielders with those numbers. They're called AAAA players. Or young prospects. Many teams have one. The Nats' example is Roger Bernadina, except he can throw. Last year, Crawford's OPS was "only" 75 points lower in Fenway than elsewhere.Crawford's other flaw is that his career numbers against left-handed pitching are even worse than his stats in Fenway. Now, in the same lineup with lefties such as David Ortiz, J.D. Drew, Adrian Gonzalez and Jacoby Ellsbury, the Red Sox will see every team's southpaws. Calling CC Sabathia. And Andy Pettitte and Cliff Lee?Few phrases are as filled with tingles and terror as "$100 million contract." But add the word "guarantee" and the hair really stands up on your neck. Nats fans have that double-edged feeling now. But Bosox fans who think Crawford's a safe bet should, too.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/12/10/AR2010121006172.html

24. Gonat - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:21 PM

flynnie, I am lost at the point you are making. Rizzo reported to Kasten until Kasten left after last season. Now Rizzo calls the shots. All decisions after the 2010 season ended were Rizzo's.

25. Sec3MySofa - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM

6:08, you go wait by your phone, and we promise to call you just as soon as we're ready. Really.In the meantime, maybe this will keep you company.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULOjT9GYdQ

26. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Rizzo is a complicated guy – great eye for talent, steely negotiator – perhaps lacking in people skills and very strong-willed. I am glad that I don't have to deal with him on a daily basis. A GM job is certainly not a job for the faint of heart. Of course, I am so sure that he cares what we think of him. Building a successful baseball team does not seem to be an easy thing to accomplish. Flynnie– agreed on responding to anonymous trolls…

27. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Her him/her! Hear him/her! You speak for us all, LoveDaNats! I gave $50 to send Mark to Viera when he was orphaned by the Times, and then NatsFan1a invited me over here. I've felt very welcome – "where everybody knows your name!"

28. Gonat - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM

LoveDaNats said… I read the thread from last night. I was unable to stay up for the end but had to comment on the "feel" around those posts, especially as the game was coming to an end and afterward. It felt like it was a group of friends sitting around a bar talking about the team and game they love. I was almost jealous I wasn't there! Just another reason I love this blog.GYFNG! August 6, 2011 6:20 PM ___________________________Nice perspective! I think all the young ladies that post on here make this a unique place to comment. JaneB, NatsLady and NatsFan1a are all great! If there are other young ladies I missed, thanks for your contributions!

29. Exposremains - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Sec3: I was gonna say the same thing. Finally an anon that gets it!

30. phil dunn - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:30 PM

50 games left this season. The Beast needs 11 more homers and 36 more RBIs to reach 30/100. If he doesn't slump, he will make it.

31. LoveDaNats - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:33 PM

GonatThanks for calling me a "young" lady. I'm grateful to the bottom of my baby boomer heart!

32. Gonat - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:44 PM

baseballswami said… Rizzo is a complicated guy – great eye for talent, steely negotiator – perhaps lacking in people skills and very strong-willed._________________________One big plus that Rizzo hasn't received credit for is that Rizzo didn't trade Lannan in the off-season. He stuck with him which worked out. Maybe he saw something, maybe he didn't. As mentioned yesterday, Lannan is making a name for himself so I think Rizzo deserves credit.You get grief for the ones you stick with like Wang, Slaten, Stairs and Burnett and maybe even MPHRod, so you deserve credit for the ones you stick by.

33. Gonat - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:46 PM

LoveDaNats, if you are younger than me, you are young. If you are female, you are a young lady. So the roll call is 4 young ladies! Nice!

34. NatsLady reporting from Target Field - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Twins are commemorating 20th anniversary of their 1991 World Series. They were a last place team. It CAN happen!!! Not sure there will ever be a baseball game, tonight, though. Great park.

35. Mark'd - Aug 6, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Gonat, I believe the Nats were the last team in the league to option a players not due to injury or Designate a player. Change is part of the game and Rizzo seems too commited at times like Stairs and Burnett and I fear HenRod and Wang.This bullpen is in really bad shape. 50 games to go. If the team plays .500 ball the rest of the way they finish with 79 wins. That has to be the minimal goal.

36. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I've been watching premier league baseball on Fox, NY v. Sawx broadcast by Voice of Doom Buck. Superior talent – Annapolis' own Mark Texeira just hit a HR to make it 7-4. I feel sorry for the O's in the same division with these teams. All-Star teams playing in packed ballparks, but none of the charm of rooting for the underdog.

37. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:06 PM

NatsLady, the Twins have the luxury of competing in the AL Central, not the AL East, and I think that keeps them in the playoffs. The O's – I don't know how they did it in '97, and I don't know how they will ever do it again, up against all that money in NY and Bos. The Nats? I agree-it can happen!

38. Unkyd - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:07 PM

I too, have felt welcome, since I found this joint, back in February. Love the wit, love the knowledge, love that folks share that knowledge, without condecention. Love the friends! I would love to comment more, during games, but I'm listening on iPhone, after sunset, and it seems to get a little warm, if I try to do too much, at the same time… I look in a few times an hour, though…Pretty easy to doze off… During these western trips….

39. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I don't like the west coast swings — about now I am just sitting here waiting for things to get started! Hoping Livo has his good stuff tonight and the bats are still awake. GYFNG!We need a game to talk about – that's why we have to fill in with Rizzo talk and other stuff. Last week it was trades, next week it will be signings. Is the Hagerstown Suns game going to be covered tomorrow – is anyone going to be there that could post during the game?? Please — if you are going , try to report in!

40. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:09 PM

After I publish Boswell's taunt that Crawford can't hit lefties, he chases Sabathia, going 3 for 3 w/2 rbi's.

41. DCGuy7 - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:10 PM

and speaking of crawford, and speaking of the Fox afternoon game – he's having a 4 hit day, at Fenway.

42. Gonat - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Mark'd, if you mean "due to injury" that someone went on the DL and the replacement player was optioned back I believe you are correct.The first true release was Brian Broderick on May 23rd I believe. If you scan MLBTradeRumors you see players optioned in April 2011 on other teams and many DFAs in early May. Problem is with the Nats, the players that keep getting mentioned didn't have options. By the way, watching the Red Sox Yankees game and Carl Crawford is 4 for 4 today.

43. Exposremains - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:14 PM

hopefully talking about werth will also make him good tonight.

44. Gonat - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Exposremains, talking about Werth, it appears that he is swinging again slightly opening his stance as his front foot pulls left.When Werth is hitting good, he is going with pitches opposite field and keeping his head still.. Would love to see him get on a consistent hot streak because when he does, this team will be scoring a lot of runs!!!!

45. Exposremains - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:21 PM

It might not be true but it seems that when Werth has a good game the Nats win.

46. MicheleS - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Well, my two cents on the "everybody knows your name"… I am one of the ladies (of any age on this blog).. Mostly a cheerleader, but love all the insight that everyone brings and for the most part we chide the Neganons and they are only heard from a few times. I have watched baseball from birth.. A product of a long suffering Cubs fan, and everyday I still learn something new thanks to all the insightful commentary on this blog!

47. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Werth in the 5 spot really does seem to have an effect on the team. It seems like Ankiel, Danny or Zim can get on and then we need rbi's from Zim, Morse or Werth. Things seem to stall when he doesn't hit. I like Desi in front of Ramos, if he can get on maybe Ramos can move him, or the pitcher can and then we can turn over the line-up. I hope Desi doesn't hold back tonight.

48. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Thanks, Michelle! And when the starter goes into the 7th, the Nats win. And now Joe Buck, in his voice of strongest, strongest steel, funereally says, "If you don't have fun watching this Boston lineup swing the bat, then I don't think you like baseball." Incongruity is the heart of humor, and that had me laughing. Joe does not sound like he's having fun. Maybe he wants to – and that's why he uttered such a bon mot. I'm sure there's millions in Yankeeland who don't have fun watching the Boston lineup swing the bat. I don't have fun watching Todd Helton swing the bat for the Rockies.

49. NatsLady - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:29 PM

Adam Dunn playing 1B w/ Konerko DH.

50. Gonat - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:30 PM

MicheleS, impressive. That makes 5 young ladies and there is probably more!

51. Gonat - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Yep, Desi to the 7 hole was strategically sound. I remember Davey said he discussed it with his coaches and 4 agreed and 1 didn't.I wonder why Screech didn't like the move?

52. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM

NatsLady, let us know how Dunn is doing. Him busting out of that slump is high on my wish list. I'm really pulling for him.

53. Unkyd - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:34 PM

This just went up, atop the left gutter:http://m.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2011/aug/6/rockies-pitcher-juan-nicasio-stable-alert-moving-a/Positive prognosis… Keep praying…

54. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Yeccch, Dave's talking about The Injury Last Night. Juan Nicasio is lucky to be alive. The ligaments at C1-2 are stronger than the vertebrae, which fracture before the ligaments stretch to protect the spinal cord. You see this injury – a fractured C1 – in head on car crashes. Juan has screws in his head affixed in a halo to keep him from moving and injuring his spinal cord.

55. MicheleS - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:43 PM

@NatsLady in Target Field…When you get to Chicago.. PLEASE got to Al's Italian Beef on Taylor Street for me! I didn't get to go when I was there a few weeks ago for the Houston series!.. God I miss that place! Plus the little Italian ice shop across the street! Okay.. now I am hungry..I really hope Nicasio comes out of this okay! Hate to see anyone go down like that. I remember when Mussina got drilled in the eye… that wasn't pleasant

56. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM

Ray Knight has some keen insights into last nights game. They'd have lost a few weeks ago, but last night they "scored in 4 stanzas" with 2 run triple in the 1st by Zimm, double by Ankiel, Desi, and homer by Michael." He said that HRod was breathing fast in the thin air, and just could not settle. I'd like to know how vigilant MLB is with those soggy, humidified balls. I wonder if the Rockies pitchers are the only ones throwing the balls from the humidifier.

57. baseballswami - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Good news and bad news — the good news is that HRod is unavailable out of the pen tonight, the bad news is – so is Clip. Were any of you watching last night when Clip was in and HRod had taken the game from 4-0 to 4-3? Jordan was standing at the rail in the dugout – literally hiding his face – he just could not watch. He doesn't show a lot of emotion, but he was under a lot of stress and it really showed.

58. gonatsgo - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:53 PM

I think this would be a good night for Livo to pitch a complete game.

59. Gonat - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:55 PM

I want to hear Carp's "See..You..Later" many many times tonight!!!!

60. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:56 PM

I was swammi, and saw the same thing. But I thought I heard Davey just say that HRod and Clip were available. I'm with gonastsdgo – hope we don't need 'em.

61. flynnie - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Or as F.P. said last night after Morse's homer, "It takes a man to hit it out to the Christmas trees in center!"

62. NatsLady - Aug 6, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Dunn looks happy in the imfield. Made a couple routine plays, but K'd twice. Took a big cut for strike 2 and looked at a beauty for strike 3 in the 4th inning.

63. FS - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Natslady, I recommend Lou Malnati on North Wells or North State st (you probably know about it already). Awesome food and cheap.I think for $17, I had an appetizer, soup, and personal pizza. Next time I go to Chicago, I am definitely going there again.

64. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Ray Knight's math, uh, the Nats need to go 42-17 to make the Wild Card. Who fed Ray those numbers? Ray, 50 games left. Maybe 38-12 to make the Wild Card?

65. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Both Henry and Clipp had control problems last night. To induce a grounder, they must have to put spin on the ball that would cause it to end up in the dirt at sea level just to get it to break normally at a mile high.

66. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:03 AM

Will try to eat for everyone in Chi. Go Nats! Kid announcer is from a town named Zimmerman.

67. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:04 AM

I like the math FP just talked about. When Storen and Clip appear in the same game the Nats are 30-4.

68. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:04 AM

If you need to know how not to post anonymously, we'll tell you.

69. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Davey's pre-game interview – he said Clip and HRod won't pitch — but then , he has been know to reverse course quite often. Loved Drew Storen's interview last night – he is really articulate — talking about Clip making "man pitches" – quite funny.Their apartment must be an interesting place.

70. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Thanks, Swami. Did Drew graduate from Stanford?

71. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:10 AM

I don't know if he graduated yet but I know he was taking classes this past winter. I never know when they are drafted how far they have gotten in school.Really smart guy.

72. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:11 AM

How many more times are they going to show the clip of the pitcher getting hurt? Gives me the chills.

73. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Rick Ankiel is actually taking some pitches – that is great to see!

74. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Swami.. go to the MASN page to see exactly how interesting Clipp/Storen apartment is.. Clipp is a Bieber fan! Those two are hilarious!

75. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Leadoff walk, Nats need to make them pay! Good job Ankiel!

76. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:16 AM

uh,oh — picked off.

77. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Danny can't make contact. Was that a straight steal or a hit & run?

78. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:17 AM

WHAT IS ANKIEL DOING???? someone please explain

79. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Gonatsgo, that was definitely not a pick off.

80. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM

Zim is just EN FUEGO!!

81. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM

And on a happy note, at least they are in CO tonight… I have a feeling if they were in DC.. we would be having a rainout.. Raining hard by Dulles Airport, so I am sure it's on the way to DC

82. SCNatsFan - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I just can't understand why we don't sit Espi for a couple of games. He is just ice cold.

83. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Ankiel wasn't running on his own. I am thinking it was a hit & run.

84. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:19 AM

Gonat — so right — caught stealing.

85. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Question: Anyone going to Hagerstown Tomorrow? I am.. got tickets as soon as Mark Z Tweeted.. it's SRO and Pudge maybe catching…Since Stras is only going two…Is there anyone that I should be looking for tomorrow? I know one of the kids we got on 7/31 is there, but not sure who else to look for at this level.

86. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Anonymous said… Zim is just EN FUEGO!! August 6, 2011 8:18 PM ___________________He is but if there was a man on 1st, Tulo would be cheating closer to 2nd for a double play and that one wouldn't have squirted through.

87. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:22 AM

88. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Michele, Pudge is not catching. He had another set-back.

89. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:23 AM

MicheleS – Pudge has had a setback and has gone to Philly to see Zim's Dr. for a second opinion.

90. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:24 AM

baseballswami said… SCNatsfan – Espi had 2 hits last night – but then, so did almost everyone. Well – except for Werth. Even JZim had 2 hits! August 6, 2011 8:22 PM __________________Espi's 1st hit was that questionable Tulo error. The 2nd hit was a nice double!

91. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Gonat.. Kilgore has it on the WaPo site that he got cleared by the guy that did RZim's surgery and if he makes it through BP tomorrow, he might catch. I am thinking that Pudge would love to by Stras's personal catcher for the next few years.. kind of like he was with Nolan when he came upl

92. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:25 AM

baseballswami, JINX

93. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Livo's DEALIN'! He spears the line drive – abracadabra!!! And Jayson doubles!

94. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:29 AM

NatsInsiders, there you go! WERTH

95. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:31 AM

atta boy werthsomethin…

96. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:36 AM

And Jayson is stranded on 3rd. Livo to lead off next inning. Desmond strikes out on a slider "just a bit outside" and Ramos come-backer to the pitcher. I hope the Nats hitting is less herbivorous for the rest of the game, but I think they might be tired of running around in that thin air. I could barely have a snowball fight when I was there.

97. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:37 AM

Can you believe that blooper by Tulo.

98. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I can't believe Helton swinging and reaching on a 3-0 pitch. Thank you very much!

99. SCNatsFan - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Espi did smoke the ball at his last at bat but one good AB doesn't make up for the bad ABs he's had. I'm not saying to give up on the guy I'm saying sit him once in awhile, let him get a little hungry to get into the lineup.And he did have a sparkling defensive play last night too.

100. Mark'd - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Werth made a risky move going 2nd to 3rd on that grounder to Tulowitzki but what was so smart was taking Tulo's throwing lane away.

101. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:50 AM

Really? You hit the pitcher?!

102. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:52 AM

You know what, I knew eventually Livan's nonchalant style would cost him. It never has and with the law averages….

103. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:53 AM

Well this sucks.

104. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:53 AM

"law of averages"

105. LoveDaNats - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:54 AM

What the heck?

106. NatsLady - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Dunn k'd in 5th to kill Sox rally. Threw his bat about 30 feet. Sox fan next to me wished he would get ejected but he didn't. Nice base hug in 6th inning for DP to kill Twins rally.

107. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Am I hearing things? Did Tulowitzki just walk up to Justin Bieber playing. I have now lost all respect for him. I mean, really?!

108. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Wow – was on the phone for a bit – remind me not to walk away….What happened to Livo? And with no outs? Well, how many times have we had an early lead and then not scored again and lost. Maybe it's the Rockies turn? Is it ever too early for a rally? Looks like we're going to need some offense, boys. There's a big hole up there on the scoreboard that needs to be filled. Ok – 2 outs – now one more without another run…

109. LoveDaNats - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Too bad about A Dunn. At least here he felt the love.

110. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 12:59 AM

111. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Very un-Livo-like. Ouch. Glad to hear updates about Dunn – wish the news was better for him, though, good guy.

112. LoveDaNats - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Beeeaast!!!

113. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:05 AM

What a great at-bat by Werth! He didn't swing at any of that junk!

114. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Plenty of game left here – way to get things started!

115. LoveDaNats - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Gomes is starting to grow on me. The helmet tic has got to go though..

116. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Bases loaded no outs – this is where it has to happen.

117. FS - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:18 AM

well it did not happen. thanks to a wild pitch, we picked a run. otherwise all batters followed by Gomes' walk failed.

118. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Wow – we are not very good with runners in scoring position.

119. Sec3MySofa - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:18 AM

Hmmm, 4-2. Did I miss anything?

120. Sec3MySofa - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Apparently, I missed Bad Livo tonight.

121. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Gonat said… Those pile-on runs are so important. I give the Rockies credit. The Nats have a deep hole tonight. Another one in Livan's recent ups and downs. August 6, 2011 8:59 PM __________________________There is the difference. Nats rarely pile-on to take advantage of a struggling pitcher.Then Livo %*($s up to give back a run with a center cut ball for a Wiggington HR.

122. LoveDaNats - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM

I can't remember the last time Livo has been effective.

123. dryw, another "young" lady on the blog :-) - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:23 AM

LoveDaNats, Dunn felt the love here because Dunn hit here! Werth hasn't felt a lot of love, and even he is hitting better than Adam this year. I'm pulling for him as much as anyone, but….OMG, there go the wheels falling off!!!

124. LoveDaNats - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Take him out!! Train wreck!!

125. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:29 AM

LoveDaNats, it was his last start. Just sayin.Seems a long time ago.

126. dryw - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Wheels falling off, axles breaking, engine falling out….that was UGLY!!

127. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:30 AM

Glad to be called YOUNG (a while ago,but I've been distracted by phone calls. Don't theynknow it's BASEBALL TIME?). Glad Nicasio's surgery was successful. Glad Pudge is cleared to play. Worried about Livan, though. He is leaving the ball up and we are about to get into a huge hole.Is it that the atmosphere is that different, or is Livo just tired? No snide replies please. It doesn't look like the Rockies are hitting great, just that they are getting meatballs tonight. Just wondering why.On the other hand, I think our guys will still be fighting, and I will still be watching.

128. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:30 AM

he should be dropped…. ill pitch for him

129. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Ooooof…capcha was….. rocked.Indeed.

130. FS - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:31 AM

alright so it is Lannan tomorrow against Cook. I think we can at least hope for a series split and then on to face two of the hottest teams in NL, Cubs and Phillies (I think).

131. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:32 AM

I'm going for a smoothie. Or a barley pop. Maybe both.

132. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Livo was really good in his last outing. Not so good today. The on-air guys were saying that they were worried he would have trouble because he relies on junk stuff and balls don't break in coors field. But — this is kind of silly now. That bases loaded situation with no outs for us — 2 paltry runs. Big hole now. Hope Gorzelanny has got something – he hasn't pitched much.Come on, Nats — epic comeback of the year! But first – please can we get out of this particular inning? Looking at another long one tonight.

133. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:33 AM

We all love Livan but his up and down season and 4.40 ERA won't cut it. His nonchalant style while entertaining always kind of bothered me as it isn't how you want the youth thinking they can play with that carefree attitude. Tonight showed why and it bit him back. This makes Wang's last start look good in comparison.

134. Unkyd - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:34 AM

Well… I'd say the bullpen for '12 is shaping up nicely! Storen, Clip, Matheus, Livo, Detwiler… That's a solid core. Livo and Det can work 2, if need be, Clip and Matty to set up, Store to shut down… What's not to like?Now, let's get some of these babies up, to see who's gonna fill out the rotation… :-)

135. Matt - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:36 AM

Given the score and how much work the 'pen has seen recently, I think Gorzo's going to be up there for a while. I hope he ate his wheaties this morning…

136. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:36 AM

disgusting to give up 9 runs through 4. Too many pitchers on this team who just flat out STINK anymore. Wang, Livo, Coffee, Burnette, H rod. UGLY.

137. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:37 AM

I'm opting for the tried and true bourbon and maalox myself, and I'm not even kidding.

138. JayB - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:38 AM

I have been basically happy with this team since Riggs left. BUT>>>>>I am done with Livo…Cut him today. Bring up some young arms….HE SENDS ALL THE WRONG MESSAGES WITH HIS I AM TOO COOL TO TRY FIELDING CRAP>>>>>>I HATE IT!

139. Drew8 - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:38 AM

As Livo stumbles toward the elephant graveyard, look on the bright side.So far tonight, Harper is 3 for 4 with a homer, a triple and 3 RBIs. His average is up to .263. Danny Rosenbaum, in his first AA start, gave up one earned run over 5.2 innings.Livo is joining Wang in the hard-to-watch category. I'm about ready to find a movie and say: See. You. Later.Figure next year's rotation starts with Stras, Zimmermann, Detwiler and Lannan. It will be interesting to see who takes the fifth spot. Peacock? Milone? FA?

140. Mark'd - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:42 AM

141. Grandstander - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:43 AM

I really think we need to shut down Livo for the rest of the season and get some of our kids up. Hell, let him say his got "shoulder tightness" or something and let him ride out the season on DL to save face. But with nothing to play for, and nothing to gain from his starts, I'd rather use this time to answer some questions and get some guys some experience

142. Unkyd - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Really not buying that nonchalance and carefree style is an issue… That's a looooong career's worth of making it happen. The youngsters won't be ruined by seeing they don't nessecarily need to bring an intimidating scowl to work, to be effective. The Seven Dwarves had it right….. Whistle while you work…(tweety tweet tweet tweet tweet tweeeet…) :)

143. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Gonat, I don't think it's nonchalance. Everyone who knows him says he is a real competitor. I think other guys glare and stare, and Livo's way is "okay, you and me. Let's play some ball. See if you can hit THIS." Turns out, tonight, they can. But I think it is every bit as much a game face as the Clippard glare and the cutting eyes of Lincecum.

144. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:46 AM

JaneB…cracked open a bottle of wine tonight.. won't say how much is left…Any one else looking forward to September Call Ups besides me?

145. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Drew 8 I luv your 4th paragraph. HAHA I'm with you. How about we let Wang and Livo mop up for Gorzo instead of the way it is now. God Weth stinks

146. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:49 AM

I just noticed that they have Strasburg back in the commercials! That's something to smile about,

147. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:49 AM

What a crap pickup Gomes was.

148. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:51 AM

For me it will be wine and ice cream –any excuse for comfort food. And yes – I am ready for some call-ups. Is this officially a laugher yet? It's only the 5th – and this is coors. I think McCatty needs to tell Gorzelanny that he is now the sacrificial lamb and he is just staying in the game no matter what happens. Save the bullpen for tomorrow and the hot Cubs and just suck this one up.

149. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Mark'd said… Livo's starts. Good, bad, good, good, bad, good for March/April. Bad, bad, good, good, good, bad for May. Good, bad, great, bad, good for June. Good, bad, good, good, bad for July. Great, awful for August. Nats could be 7-17 in games Livan starts after tonight. That record coupled with a 4.41 ERA won't do it. August 6, 2011 9:42 PM _____________________________________Well that is more ups and downs then a yo-yo. I still go by simple stats and 4.41 ERA and diminishing returns will end the Livan era in Washington. The team doesn't need an "innings eater" any more.

150. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Michelle, I am too. I hope you have a great time tomorrow! Keep us posted!

151. LoveDaNats - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:55 AM

MicheleSAmazing how a glass of wine makes a game like this better. Not.

152. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Livo looks out of shape to me this year – who do you think weighs more, Livo or Coffey? Coffey's face gets so red when he runs in that it is kind of scary.

153. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Why does a guy like Desmond go 4-4 and then fail twice to bring runner from 3rd . Livo hasn't been consistently good for a while. Somehow, I didnt think that he would do well in COL. I think that when pitcher sees the offense keep missing opportunities you feel let down and you kinda start not caring so much about the game.

154. skidge (50-yo female) - Aug 7, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Ah, this one's been hurting… I got hooked on DC baseball from going to Senators games with my father from ca. 69-71.. Pretty much lurk here and don't post much cause I'm mostly ignorant about baseball, but I just love having a team and am learning so much from this wonderful group. Thanks all!

155. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:00 AM

livo and coffee are both out of shape. But neither as bad as Rex Grossman.

156. Wally - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:01 AM

If Livo gets bumped, and I agree it might be time*, I think it is back to Gorzy for a bit. It can't be ALL kids right now, and Gorzy is young enough that if he turns it around, he could stay for a few years. I am betting the under, but I think it is worth a shot. I guess that I would go JZ, lannan, Gorzy, Det and Wang for now. Hopefully JZ stretches to Stras, and then keep Peacock, Meyer and maybe Stammen in reserve (I think Milone is for next year). I am done with Maya, I just don't think he is a major league starter (or even bullpen, actually).But the rotation looks creaky the rest of the way, for sure.* I do think Livo is ready to be bumped out of the rotation, but this isn't the best example for him because altitude is bad for spinning pitches, and Livo lives off that.

157. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Ankiel don't hear no fat lady singin'! Neither does Espi! Come on, Zimm!

158. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:03 AM

Drew8 said… Figure next year's rotation starts with Stras, Zimmermann, Detwiler and Lannan. It will be interesting to see who takes the fifth spot. Peacock? Milone? FA? August 6, 2011 9:38 PM_______________________I guess you missed Jordan Zimmermann's pre-game interview yesterday. He didn't say Detwiler for next year when asked about the 2012 rotation. It doesn't mean it won't happen. Just not sure what you have seen to proclaim that now? I see a 3 to 5 inning guy and that doesn't cut it as a starter. Detwiler's Syracuse season wasn't much to write home about either.Clearly, Zimmermann, Strasburg, Lannen, and then 2 open spots. The Free Agent market is light for starters as Mark Buerle and Chris Carpenter are the 2 best and Carpenter is not having a great year and some guy named Jason Marquis is the next best. The Yankees and Red Sox are going to take whoever they can so I don't see the Nats getting anyone great and may not even get Marquis next year so it may be 2 internal candidates.

159. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Yes, Zimm! 9-6! Arena baseball!

160. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:04 AM

They are back in it! GYFNG!!!!!!!!

161. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Morse plates Zimm – 9-7!!! Huzzah!

162. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:06 AM

we are hot. But it ends now with Werthless. PINCH HIT.

163. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:07 AM

To quote Blutarski: WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEAL HARBOR! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

164. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:07 AM

JaneB said… Gonat, I don't think it's nonchalance. Everyone who knows him says he is a real competitor.____________________I have golfed with him so I know he is competitor. I love the guy. It doesn't mean that you can't appear to be nonchalant and not be a competitor or vice versa. It is more the appearance to kids who watch him as they don't know the difference.

165. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Great fight… but they shouldn't have to be fighting like this…

166. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Anon 1006 – good call – we could help you make up a name….

167. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:11 AM

how many rallies killed by Werth this year? First 4 hitters deserve better.

168. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Oh, for Henry Aaron! Hammerin' Hank was the best at beating a two strike count I've ever seen. Werth, after fighing off 9 pitches, goes gently into that good night, and is, once again, a multi- millionaire rally-killer.

169. sjm308 - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:11 AM

I am flying blind here, not willing to read thru 157 comments. I am also betting this will not be the first suggestion on this and I won't come back to hear what others think but I just wrote one of my season ticket holder partners screaming about Livan. When are they going to get rid of him and bring up the young guys so we can see what next year is going to be like? Livan can't be a part of what hopefully we are building. What really gets me mad is this friend is the eternal optimist and I keep winning beers from him because he makes stupid bets. There are still 3 beers out there and I wanted to actually lose one of the bets but its just so easy to take him to the cleaners. Problem is, like I said, I want to lose some of the bets because I do want us to be good. He actually bet that Livan would have an era under 3.9 this year. So thats one. Second bet was the Nationals make the playoffs! and the 3rd was a .500 finish. Really hope I lose the last but it doesn't look good right now.

170. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Nice 2 -out rally! Funny how so many rallies end with the same person, though. The 2,3, and 4 hitters are tearing it up.Ankiel surprising me with his leading off — he has really adjusted his approach. Very important not to give up any more runs here. Gorzelanny is a starting pitcher – he should be able to stay in there.

171. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Hold 'em, Gorzy! We could use a win! And might I point out that baseball, even 9-2 baseball, is neva eva boring!

172. Drew8 - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:18 AM

OK, the movie can wait awhile.P.S. Skidge: as a 49-year-old who grew up with the Hondo Senators, welcome.

173. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:18 AM

And this game is officially a slugfest.

174. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:20 AM

F.P.: Somebody turned the humidor off last night. 10-7, with Davey causing a Blue Confabulation where the umps are making their plans for the evening and then confirming that it stayed in the park, so the runner doesn't have to go back to 3rd.

175. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:21 AM

having once been to Coors Field, it's like watching a pinball machine with baseball.. Balls going all over the place and it will be a slugfest..

176. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Flynnie – I second your motion that things are not boring. This series has been eventful so far.

177. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Minimal damage in the 6th….

178. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Anon. Rally Monkey – Love a good old fashioned slugfest, and a gorgeous DP 5-4 line drive speared!

179. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:24 AM

Ryan Zimmerman is a very special player.

180. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Morse was good before but having Zim hitting in front of him makes him even better

181. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:27 AM

Anon Saber Tooth – That's what Bill James thinks! He has his Red Eyesawx on Zimm for 2013

182. MicheleS - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:28 AM

183. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:30 AM

MicheleS said… And they better sign RZ to a Tulo like contract soon.. I DO NOT WANT TO SEEM HIM WITH ANOTHER TEAM! August 6, 2011 10:28 PM ________________________Tulo signed a big hometown discount. The Nats would do that deal in an instant. They are going to have to pay him a few bucks above that Werth contract!

184. baseballswami - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:31 AM

exposremains – I think you are onto something with the combo of Zimm and Morse. In order to get through the order, you have to deal with both. Somehow, though,it seems like mlb has not caught on to Morse and they continue to let him hit – was it last night that they walked Zim to get to him? The 2 of them together seem to protect each other. On the few occasions where Werth joined that party, it was awesome.

185. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Just say NO to Ryan Zimmerman in any kind of pinstripes!

186. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:37 AM

I know, swami! I was shocked they pitched around Zimm to get to Morse. He made them pay, too.Gonat, how lucky you got to play golf with Livan! That must have been a truly fun day. But I think kids know he isn't a slacker. Especially the ones in the dugout with him. These owners better pay RZimm whatever he wants. Seriously.

187. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Typical Coffey break. he can almost never go with a clean inning.

188. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:39 AM

How many days till September? And do rosters expand on the first, or only after minor league season is uber?

189. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:40 AM

There's no bugs in Denver – too high, even in the summer, you can sleep with the windows open. No swarms from Lake Erie all over Joba Chamberlain. But something looked like it bit Gonzalez in right field. Maybe a nuclear spider. And now we're 11-7.

190. Exposremains - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:41 AM

I think they should try again hitting Espinosa 5th. Werth 6th but I dont know who should hit 2nd.

191. JaneB - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:41 AM

Over, not uber.That's the maalox talking. Or typing.

192. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Todd Coffey – not very effective. Next?

193. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:44 AM

JaneB said… Gonat, how lucky you got to play golf with Livan! That must have been a truly fun day. But I think kids know he isn't a slacker. Especially the ones in the dugout with him. August 6, 2011 10:37 PM _____________________My buddy set up the outing and asked me to play. On the first hole we pull up to the gold tees and Livan stops his cart 30 yards behind us yelling. He goes we are playing the pro tees. He is quite the athlete. I have played with many of the Nats and former Nats.

194. Anonymous - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Now Burnett fails the 2012 audition. Next?

195. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:45 AM

13-6, and I am thinking the Nats might not win.

196. Gonat - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:46 AM

Who wrote this morning how bad the bullpen is. Burnett with a quick 2 inherited runners scoring. I just hit my Staples "That was Easy" button.

197. gonatsgo - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:47 AM

At least Clip and Store will be well rested for tomorrow's game. Seriously – is there anyone in this bullpen who can come in and shut things down?

198. flynnie - Aug 7, 2011 at 2:47 AM

Time for another "scoring stanza" as Ray Knight calls it.