Aug 7, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
The Nationals try to salvage a series split today at Coors Field.
After getting torched for 15 runs last night, oh how the Nationals could use a quality performance from their pitching staff in today's series finale against the Rockies. Fortunately for them, John Lannan is on the hill this afternoon. The lefty has been, along with Jordan Zimmermann, their most consistent starter and enters this one 6-2 with a 2.72 ERA over his last 13 starts.
If Davey Johnson can get a good start out of Lannan, he has to like his chances considering the production he's gotten out of his lineup. Over the last nine games, the Nats are hitting a collective .310 with an .843 OPS. That's pretty stout. Unfortunately, their record over that span is a pedestrian 5-4 due to shaky pitching.
Speaking of pitching, the one and only Stephen Strasburg will make his return to competitive baseball today, scheduled to throw two innings (or 35 pitches) for low-Class A Hagerstown against Greensboro. Chase Hughes will be covering that event for CSNwashington.com, so be sure to check over there for a full report later. I'm traveling most of the day, but I'll attempt to update this with lineups once they're posted…
NATIONALS at ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 3:10 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Sunny, 89 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent