Aug 7, 2011, 2:47 PM EDT
US Presswire file photo
The Nationals try to salvage a series split today at Coors Field.
After getting torched for 15 runs last night, oh how the Nationals could use a quality performance from their pitching staff in today's series finale against the Rockies. Fortunately for them, John Lannan is on the hill this afternoon. The lefty has been, along with Jordan Zimmermann, their most consistent starter and enters this one 6-2 with a 2.72 ERA over his last 13 starts.
If Davey Johnson can get a good start out of Lannan, he has to like his chances considering the production he's gotten out of his lineup. Over the last nine games, the Nats are hitting a collective .310 with an .843 OPS. That's pretty stout. Unfortunately, their record over that span is a pedestrian 5-4 due to shaky pitching.
Speaking of pitching, the one and only Stephen Strasburg will make his return to competitive baseball today, scheduled to throw two innings (or 35 pitches) for low-Class A Hagerstown against Greensboro. Chase Hughes will be covering that event for CSNwashington.com, so be sure to check over there for a full report later. I'm traveling most of the day, but I'll attempt to update this with lineups once they're posted…
NATIONALS at ROCKIES
Where: Coors Field
Gametime: 3:10 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Sunny, 89 degrees, Wind 6 mph LF to RF
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win