Aug 9, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chien-Ming Wang faces Matt Garza tonight at Wrigley Field.
CHICAGO — OK, let's try this again. With last night's rainout behind us, we're back at the Friendly Confines for the delayed opener of this series between the Nationals and Cubs. It's a gorgeous day, a beautiful blue sky above, but the wind is whipping pretty furious out to right field. That means the ball is going to carry in that direction, big-time, which means Chien-Ming Wang's sinker had better be sharp.
Wang's biggest mistake his last time out — a three-run homer by Dan Uggla — came on a misplaced breaking ball, and Davey Johnson was critical of the pitch selection. Ultimately, Wang's bread and butter pitch is the sinker. He needs to master that pitch; then his offspeed stuff should play better.
Both clubs are sticking with their same starting lineups from last night's postponed game. So Jonny Gomes remains in left field for the Nationals, even though Laynce Nix (who had been battling an illness) should be close to 100 percent again.
Plenty of updates to come…
NATIONALS at CUBS
Where: Wrigley Field
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 15 mph out to RF
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants
- Ishikawa 3-run homer sends Giants to World Series
- Nationals roster review: Jayson Werth
- LaRoche hopes to be a National 'for the rest of my career'
- MLB announces World Series schedule