Game 115: Nats at Cubs (Take 2)

Aug 9, 2011, 8:29 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chien-Ming Wang faces Matt Garza tonight at Wrigley Field.

CHICAGO — OK, let's try this again. With last night's rainout behind us, we're back at the Friendly Confines for the delayed opener of this series between the Nationals and Cubs. It's a gorgeous day, a beautiful blue sky above, but the wind is whipping pretty furious out to right field. That means the ball is going to carry in that direction, big-time, which means Chien-Ming Wang's sinker had better be sharp.

Both clubs are sticking with their same starting lineups from last night's postponed game. So Jonny Gomes remains in left field for the Nationals, even though Laynce Nix (who had been battling an illness) should be close to 100 percent again.

Plenty of updates to come…

NATIONALS at CUBS
Where: Wrigley Field
Gametime: 8:05 p.m.
TV: MASN
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Partly cloudy, 78 degrees, Wind 15 mph out to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
1B Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. m20832 - Aug 9, 2011 at 8:59 PM

We want Winning! GYFNG!!!

2. Harry Carey's Ghost - Aug 9, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Nats win! Nats win!

3. Carpe Diem - Aug 9, 2011 at 9:54 PM

@Mark Z. Wang's biggest mistake his last time out — a three-run homer by Dan Uggla — came on a misplaced breaking ball, and Davey Johnson was critical of the pitch selection. Ultimately, Wang's bread and butter pitch is the sinker. He needs to master that pitch; then his offspeed stuff should play better.______________It was Wang's throwing error that brought Uggla to the plate in that situation. Since it didn't hit Wang's ERA, his tradional numbers looked good from the outing and anyone who agonized watching it, still wasn't pretty.Davey and McCatty say he improved, tonight has to be a real marked improvement.

4. MIcheleS - Aug 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM

Got my PNats Tickets! Can't wait..Now lets get a win tonight! GYFNG!

5. DCGuy7 - Aug 9, 2011 at 10:24 PM

PNats friday night, yeah! got my tix. AND, their sked says it's Desmond bobblehead night there. question: does that mean a bobble of Desi in a PNats uni?

6. JaneB - Aug 9, 2011 at 11:14 PM

GYFNG! SYFBS! (Sink, you freaking ball, sink!)

7. SonnyG10 - Aug 9, 2011 at 11:28 PM

GYFNG!!!

8. Unkyd - Aug 9, 2011 at 11:38 PM

GYFNG! SYFBS! (Sink, you freaking ball, sink!)Love it, JaneB!!!!!

9. gonatsgo - Aug 9, 2011 at 11:39 PM

Ditto!

10. NatsLady from Wrigley Field - Aug 9, 2011 at 11:50 PM

Nice evening. Wang throwing long warmup session, first to bullpen catcher, now to Ramos. Cat's eyes on every pitch.

11. baseballswami - Aug 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I hope he is throwing the equivalent of an inning – that evil first inning – so that when he comes in it feels like the second inning.But – if he gets in trouble, what do they do? Early hook, or let him work it out? At this point, they either have to use him or get rid of him and they probably need to see if he can pitch out of trouble. Third start – should be interesting.

12. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:10 AM

The Nats should take some balls to right field and try to take it into the jet stream out there!!!!

13. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:13 AM

17 game hit streak for Zim!!!! Now, GO BEAST MODE!!!!

14. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM

Glad to see Morse taking some pitches – the first couple of guys went up swinging.Now let's see how CMW looks.

15. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:18 AM

You know, I understand all the 'Wang-angst' from the standpoint of 'he's not coming back, so why waste any time with him'. I think that is certainly a plausible feeling.But I don't get it from the standpoint of 'look how he is pitching now, he is never going to make it back to the bigs'. Pitchers recovering from TJ are not expected to post quality results untl their second year back, at least. JZ last year, for example, was not very good. But everyone is ok with it because we expect them to take time to recover arm strength, control and command. By all accounts, Wang has had a more difficult surgery, and missed twice as much time. Plus, he still has only thrown 30 innings or so of rehab. It sucks that it has to happen up here. I guess they could have optioned him and seen if anyone claimed him off waivers.But I am rooting for him to make it back. He was a top pitcher for several years but all during his arb years. Never saw a big payday (comparatively speaking). It would be a great story, and maybe hope to all the pitchers with shoulder issues.

16. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Steve M. said… Donald said… On a different note, Rizzo said the Nats have their lead-off CF in the minors already and Span was just going to be a stop-gap anyway. Who was he referring to — Hood, Perez, Brown? August 9, 2011 8:30 AM Good question. Did he say that on 106.7?'Already in the Minors'…. so not talking about his new 1st round Draft pick Brian Goodwin. I would have guessed Eury Perez last year as he hasn't had a great 2011. I don't think Hood is going to be a CF. Maybe it is the maturation of Roger Bernadina or new pickup Eric Komatsu. Can't be Bryce Harper as he doesn't project out as a leadoff. Corey Brown is finally hitting his weight.I love the statement like that with no names named and the funny part is of all the names I named only Komatsu has been consistently batting leadoff in the Minors (a week and 1/2 with Harrisburg). Eury Perez has spent the bulk of his time with the PNats batting 9th I believe and when his bat was hot he batted some leadoff. Eury Perez hasn't been getting on base and really struggling with RH pitching. So unless Eury gets back to form, I don't know if he ever makes it. I know Baseball America projected him last year as the 2013 leadoff for the Nats. My 3 biggest disappointments in the position players in the Minors are Eury Perez, Derek Norris and Corey Brown as all appeared to be fast-tracked. August 9, 2011 10:26 AM __________________________Michael Taylor is the A ball (Hagerstown) LF who bats leadoff. If Rizzo said CF leadoff, not sure if he was talking about Taylor and not sure how close Taylor would be to declare him the CF of the future.

17. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Wally, JZim is long-term here. If we knew Wang was under contract next year, then it makes total sense.This has been debated fairly well on both sides of the ledger.So far so good from Wang.

18. gonatsgo - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:24 AM

That was very encouraging. Now for some offense!

19. Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:27 AM

That was vintage CMW! SYFBS ,

20. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:29 AM

Go, Go Gomes!

21. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:30 AM

22. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:32 AM

Matt Garza is going K-K-K-Krazy with our hitters so far. He does that Clip-like high fastball and they are chasing it.

23. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Wally said… Gonat – yeah, I know. Just adding my two cents.Btw, that Rizzo statement on CF- I don't think he really means it. I have sensed that occasionally Rizzo just offers up a platitude or a PR-type statement that justifies something they did or did not do. I think that this is one of them.We'll know for sure if they go hard for someone in the offseason. I bet they do. August 9, 2011 8:30 PM __________________________Thats a great point on the CF. He could be just back-tracking with some public relations CYA.

24. Candide - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM

Still early, but liking what I'm seeing from Wang.

25. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Hardest hit ball by Wang! (I reread that twice for double entendres, but there is no way to get rid of them with CMW).

26. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:47 AM

Wang got out of jam there w/ the LannEn-like tailor made double play!I think Mike Rizzo is smiling!

27. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM

Wally, I just checked on this Komatsu kid that Steve referred to in Harrisburg. He is batting .310 and tonight stole 2 bases.Ya never know!

28. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Great play by Ian Desmond on Starlin Castro's grounder as that has been the ball that Desi has booted in the past when the runner cuts in front of him.Wang just got Rizzo smile even wider!

29. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Looks like 7 ground-ball outs in 3 innings. Not bad.

30. Nats Fan in TX - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Mark, GameDay had Wang at 93 mph against Castro, is that tracking with what you're seeing?

31. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

32. Nats Fan in TX - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:05 AM

And… just saw the post, very impressive by Wang!

33. Mark Zuckerman - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:05 AM

NatsFan in TX: The stadium gun here had Wang's last pitch at 94 mph.

34. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Wally said… Gonat – i would love that. Kind of hard to think that the CF of the future is available for two months of Jerry Hairston, but I would be thrilled if he was. The rap that I heard about him, tho, is that he probably won't stay at CF in the majors. Good trade, tho. August 9, 2011 9:03 PM _________________________I thought this was a make-up trade as the Brewers wanted Hairston and Rizzo may have told them how they got a freebie (Cutter Dykstra) for Nyjer and needed a Top 25 guy for Hairston. Otherwise, why would the Brewers do that? Komatsu had good numbers for them in AA.My guess is that is what Smith wanted for Span, a little make-up for giving up Ramos for Capps.

35. flynnie - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:15 AM

Sweet! Let's Go CMW! Let's Go Nats! SYFBS!

36. FS - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:15 AM

after all that talk and hope of landin buehrle, carpenter, and darvish, what are the chances Wang is our #4 next season? LOL

37. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:16 AM

FS, lets get through 6!

38. flynnie - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Sparkly defense so far.

39. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:21 AM

I heard Melvin say that the Brewers had two other CFs in the system they liked more than Komatsu (I don't remember their names). So he felt like he was dealing from organizational depth. I'll try to find it. But who knows what to believe from those kind of reports. I have a hard time believing that teams do much 'make up' trading, given how competitive things get, but maybe I am wrong.

40. flynnie - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:21 AM

4 lovely innings of shutout ball by CMW, and, unfortunately, the other guy.

41. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:21 AM

GRRRRRR…. Peter Frickin Angelos just sent me the jinx text via MASN. Do they hate the Nats that much or just hire idiots who know nothing of baseball tradition?

42. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:26 AM

Mark, fess up–you're trying to get a rise out of us, aren't you?

43. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Angelos really just hates the Nats that much AND he is an idiot who hires idiots.

44. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Gonat – this is what I was thinking of.'In trading Komatsu, the Brewers were dealing from a position of relative strength. Minor League outfielders Caleb Gindl, Komatsu and Logan Schafer all must be added to the 40-man roster in the coming offseason to protect them from the Rule 5 Draft.Komatsu was batting .293 with a .393 on-base percentage at Double-A Huntsville."We like Eric, but we have Schafer and Gindl ahead of him, obviously, because they are at Triple-A," Melvin said. "Schafer and Gindl have the ability to play center field, too. Erik is a good hitter — he has a compact swing — and we hate to give him up. But there's a little bit of depth for us with having [Ryan] Braun and [Corey] Hart, still having Gomez and having Nyjer Morgan with us next year. We probably dealt from depth."

45. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:29 AM

Mark, what do you estimate Wang's pitch or innings count at? mAsNGELO$ is all about getting you to tune in.

46. K.D. - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Well I thought Wang would be better this outing but not this good. Unfortunately Garza is dealing a hot hand too, hitters need to start stepping out on him, he rhythm is quick, need to mess it up and quit trying to pull the ball. Good game.

47. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Wally, that is excellent research. Still, Hairston only needed an A ball guy in trade so that is Melvin justifying on his end.

48. JimHoy - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:36 AM

5 innings and only 2 walks for Wang.The Cubs announcer mentioned how many Japanese media people were on hand for this game. I kept hoping someone would tell them Wang is from Taiwan, but that doesn't appear to be happening.

49. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Gonat, he's at 65 pitches, 42 strikes, through 5.

50. flynnie - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Big Bang Wang – Out 3! You see that batter grab the sweet spot in fury? This is wonderful!

51. Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Wow! What a duel. I'm so happy for CMW, Mike Rizzo, and for Nats fans everywhere.

52. Candide - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:39 AM

BEAST MODE!!!!

53. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:40 AM

WHOA! Big Beast Mode!

54. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:40 AM

MIGHTY MORSE!!!!!

55. k.d. - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Morse is in BEAST MODE!

56. Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Hit yourself in the head, Mikey!

57. Drew8 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Upper deck Gorse Hackage!!

58. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:41 AM

Beast Mode!!!! And now JW with a hit! I like it!

59. Candide - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM

GO GO GOMES!!!

60. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM

GOMES!!!!!

61. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM

GOMES!!!!

62. MicheleS - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM

BEASTY and GOMES!!!!! WOOO HOOOO!!NatsLady, You must be having a ton of fun!!!

63. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Gomes! Gomes! Gomes!Gomes! YFN Gomes!

64. Smatt1001 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Light it up, Gomes!!

65. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Sorry Wally, forgot one of the exclamation points…

66. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:43 AM

Uh, who is this Gomes guy listed in the NOT HOT? We can thank Mark Zuckerman for this one!!!!

67. Drew8 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:44 AM

Gomes hackage!!

68. JaneB - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Gorse hacking! Morse! Gomes! And I am loving the less nervous, sinker ball pitcher in our uniform!

69. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:46 AM

Anon@9:43 – no problem. You can add it after the next one.

70. JaneB - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:50 AM

I'm jealous of NatsLady being there tonight. We need Wang to keep it up another inning at least. Not saying nuthin more about it.

71. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:51 AM

That extra day of rest must have been very good for Wang.

72. UMP SUCKS - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Wang earned that 3rd strike on Campana. That was bull.

73. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Morse has been good at first, but Laroche is a cut above defensively. And I don't think Morse can be blamed for that ball.Well done, CMW. I hope Davey has someone up in the pen, tho. Coming off this kind of rehab, he could lose it quickly.

74. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:58 AM

Wally, well said on Morse. Wang wasn't going the distance regardless but this was fun and the Ump did blow that strikeout call on Campana. Should be inning over.

75. Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:58 AM

The Cubs don't know what's Wang!

76. RickH - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Okay, that's six innings. Can we call Wang's outing a success?

77. flynnie - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Big Bong Wong mellows out the Cub's bats! And here's to Davey for calling that shift – Espi was in right field, and that turned out to be perfect!

78. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Right, Gonat – they were not going to let him push the pitch count too high and risk 2 years of work. Fantastic job!

79. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Whew, huge sigh of relief from me. I was nervous there, espcially with Wang leaving the ball up and getting some fly balls.I don't care about his pitch count, I would say 'good job and have a seat next to Livo'.Also, this just in, Danny is very good out. Almost had an out on that hit.

80. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Sorry, posted that last one before I saw Bixler

81. JaneB - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Is Wang on a pitch count? I can't believe I am typing this, but I wish we'd see him another inning. I so love being wrong about him!Also: I love FP. I learn from him. I am glad we have him.

82. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:05 AM

So, I didn't notice anything, but I would have expected a Wrigley crowd to acknowledge the first hit.Maybe it was too early?

83. SCNatsFan - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Everything bad I've said about Wang and those who have evaluated him and said he was ready for the majors (and I've disagreed with) I apologize to. Happy to eat a big plate of crow,

84. Drew8 - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:07 AM

Good lord, Sean Burnett. At least it's not Voldemort.

85. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:08 AM

Mark – any estimate of the distance on Morse's HR?

86. Mark'd - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:08 AM

WowWang. Glad to see that performance, it takes some of the sting out of the previous starts. Hope this is s start to build on!

87. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:09 AM

You know what else was great about the rainout? Extra day of rest for Clip and Storen!!!By the way, there goes the 1 hitter!

88. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:11 AM

Drew8 – not while I am drinking!

89. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM

Uh, Oh — Sean Burnett – I am hearing the theme from "Jaws" in my head. Or maybe the shower scene music from "Psycho". Either way – scared.

90. JaneB - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM

It's official. Sean dosn't scare me anymore.

91. Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:13 AM

92. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:14 AM

So, the bullpen really, really needs to keep their boot down. CMW with his first win in years, 1 hit, 6 shutout innings — AND Strasburg coming back? Gotta be the lead story tonight if they win.

93. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:14 AM

Chien-Ming Wang just got a call from Cashman. No, not the GM of the Yankees….its cash-man his agent telling him that a armour car full of cash is around the corner. Thanks Rizzo!

94. Wally - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:15 AM

Here he comes to save the dayMighty Morse is on the way

95. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:16 AM

Nice. Maybe the old Sean Burnett is back, although that first one did fly a long way.

96. Leslie - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Let's see Wang's next strat to PHI with more expectations. Wang will prove his coming back with perfect shape to everyboby. Just see.

97. MIcheleS - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Drew8..The Voldemort comment made me bust up laughing! But I am thinking HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED – at this point.. HROD!

98. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:22 AM

Joe Seamhead said… Good call,Davey,to get an inning out of Sean Burnett.What a treat for us all to see CMW give us such a great quality start. August 9, 2011 10:13 PM ________________________Baseballswami called it right, you can only write that in hindsight.I only watched with one eye open!

99. Mark'd - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:25 AM

LOL ON BURNETT

100. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:30 AM

This wouldn't be a real game if the bullpen didn't give up a run and cause some heart palpitations

101. Mark'd - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:32 AM

Kardiac Kids

102. Will - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:37 AM

Anyone have a distance on Morse's shot? Bugs me that hittrackeronline.com has Mike Stanton as the "mayor" of Nats Park…damn Fish.

103. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:44 AM

I am cheating watching split screen with the Yankees. Who says that move by the pitcher when you have a man on 1st and 3rd doesn't work? It just did as Granderson just got caught stealing on a pickoff move by Walker to end the game.

104. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Oh my, for a split second I thought Fonsie got that one…….KARDIAC KIDS

105. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:52 AM

OK, cue Harry's Ghost in 3… 2… 1…

106. Scooter - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Yay!

107. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Our stopper and closer just pitch in the tradition of Chad "The Chief" Cordero — he always made it exciting!

108. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Nats Win! Nats Win!gotta do everything myself around here…

109. JaneB - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:56 AM

I am so happy for Wang, and all the people who are following his return to the majors.

110. gonatsgo - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:57 AM

It's nice when the relievers have even a little bit of wiggle room. They are going to give up a run here and there – if the offense shows up,it doesn't lose the game. All of our pitchers did a good job tonight holding down a pretty good offense that has been hot in their own park. Starlin Castro was on that "hot" list I am pretty sure.

111. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:57 AM

Dave Jageler will sub for Bob Carpenter this weekend with FP.

112. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:58 AM

I think we're allowed a little pointless optimism here. ZimmermannStrasburgLannEnWangPick'emThat could work.

113. Joe Seamhead - Aug 10, 2011 at 2:59 AM

114. SCNatsFan - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:00 AM

I am sure it is big news in the Far East with Wang's win. Happy for him, great to see someone who rehabbed for 2 years getting a W.Forget Zim, sign him to an extension first!

115. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Yeah, yeah, I know: Pedro Astacio, Ryan Drese, John Patterson, Shawn Hill, it's only one game…Tomorrow.

116. baseballswami - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:00 AM

Drew Storen will be 24 in two days. I find that to be nothing short of amazing. 30 saves – been in the bigs for a little over a year.

117. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Gonat, Dave in the TV booth!?? Exxxx-cellent!

118. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Joe Seamhead said… Gonat, we have to get an inning from him now and then.Burnett has been awful when coming in with guys on base. When that first batter hit that shot to Werth I almost lost my dinner.Unsung hero of the game tonight has to be shared by Espy and Desi for their great defense. August 9, 2011 10:59 PM Joe Seamhead said… Gonat, we have to get an inning from him now and then.Burnett has been awful when coming in with guys on base. When that first batter hit that shot to Werth I almost lost my dinner.Unsung hero of the game tonight has to be shared by Espy and Desi for their great defense. August 9, 2011 10:59 PM _________________________________That is hilarious. You had me laughing. I can't even watch Burnett and HenRod pitch any more.Agree on all the Desi and Espi and throw in Zim too. Outfielders were in perfect position all game long.Sec3 has me laughing too with the new rotation for September 2011 or is that April 2012?

119. Andrew - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:05 AM

466 feet on Morse

120. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:06 AM

I was thinking 2012, but now that you mention it, we might get a week of that, after all…Hmmm…

121. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:09 AM

You have to see the pickoff by Walden in the Yanks game.http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_09_anamlb_nyamlb_1&mode=video

122. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:10 AM

So, if you won the dinner with Drew Storen…he's a Stanford man, smart guy (it's not Cal, but it's pretty good), what do you ask him?

123. FS - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:11 AM

Glad we won and Wang got a win. Bullpen held the lead together. On another note, why do Braves not use their best relievers against other teams such as Marlins? Two on and two out in bottom 7th against Florida, Atlanta chooses to go with Varvaro instead of Eric or Venters against Buck. I don't want to believe matchup bs.

124. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:13 AM

Sec3, I definitely bone up on Quantum Physics and talk some quadratic equations with geometric spectrums and then ask him how he uses all of that in regards to his pitching.

125. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:13 AM

FS, do you know they were available?

126. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:15 AM

FS said… On another note, why do Braves not use their best relievers against other teams such as Marlins? Two on and two out in bottom 7th against Florida, Atlanta chooses to go with Varvaro instead of Eric or Venters against Buck. I don't want to believe matchup bs. August 9, 2011 11:11 PM __________________________It should have been OFlaherty for the 7th. Wonder what happened. That sure bit them.

127. K.D. - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Great pitching, even better defense and a couple of bombs for the Good Guys. Congratulations Mr. Wang your hard work has paid off. Nice win!

128. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:21 AM

FS, my buddy said the goal was to not use Kimbrel tonight as they are trying not to use him as much and push O'Flaherty to the 8th and Venters to the 9th. So much for that.

129. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Tweet of the Day from Mr. Strasburg: @stras37 Stephen Strasburg Pretty sad seeing 12 year olds pimp home runs and throwing all curve balls. Times have changed… #llws

130. FS - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:31 AM

last time Eric pitched was Sunday and before that Wednesday. Venters has pitched couple of times since last Wednesday. I mean you would have those pitchers with 0.00 ERA since July 1 on the mound with two on, wouldn't you?

131. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:41 AM

FS, Agreed and sounds like the move a Manager will be 2nd guessed.

132. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:43 AM

and Heyward gets picked off. Embarassment.

133. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:49 AM

There's Kimbrel. So much for rest for the weary.

134. Drew8 - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:50 AM

Marquis gets bombed again in Arizona:9 hits and 7 runs (mercifully only 4 earned) in 4 innings pitched.In two starts he has allowed 11 earned runs in 8 innings pitched for a rancid 12.37 ERA. We've seen this horror flick before.

135. Cwj - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:51 AM

Fun watching Wang, which is funny to say out loud :DRay Knight mentioned, and I agree, that Burnett should be pitching the 7th inning. I haven't looked up the stats but he does seem to pitch well when used for 1 or even 2(!) innings. I truly don't buy into the whole lefty specialist thing. Burn-Clip-Store :) GO NATS!!!!

136. Cwj - Aug 10, 2011 at 3:54 AM

137. NatsLady in Chicago - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:40 AM

I hope you all were watching Wang on TV. That was one of the most remarkable games I've ever seen. In reviewing all the posts on Mark's question about next year's lineup, I don't thing I saw ONE that mentioned Wang in the rotation. Hello! Of course, there is still a ways to go, but, speaking of free agents we might want to sign…

138. flynnie - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:46 AM

Hey, NatsLady – How are you celebrating? Safe travels home!

139. NatsLady - Aug 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM

Am celebrating by getting a good night's sleep with sweet dreams of 2012. Long drive home tomorrow.

140. SonnyG10 - Aug 10, 2011 at 5:17 AM

Wow what a great game. I think we have a major sinker-baller upgrade…Wang over Marquis. Great support for Wang in getting his first Nats victory. And Michael Morse is absolutely a beast!!!!!!!!!!!

141. Anonymous - Aug 10, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Good job, Wanger!

142. flynnie - Aug 10, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Well said, SonnyG10 – for one game. I don't recall Marquis giving up 6 runs in the 1st 3 for the Nats like CMW did in his 1st 2, and Marquis wanted to stay here his family in NY, which may account for the bad starts he's had. But Wang was magnificent last night, and may he continue to be so. To throw sinkerballs after shoulder surgery is unheard of, and may the medical miracle be confirmed in start after start!

143. flynnie - Aug 10, 2011 at 11:37 AM

@Gonat – Thanks for the heads up on the Walden pick-off of Granderson with Yankees on 1st(Granderson) and third (E. Nunez)to end the game, giving the Angels the win with Texeira at the plate and Soscia tossed for being right by an ump that was wrong twice. That's the 1st time I've ever seen the fake throw to 3rd and then 1st work.

144. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Flynnie, me too. To end a game like that makes it all the more incredible. Now announcers can't say that play never works!

145. Gonat - Aug 10, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Cwj said… Drew8- Marquis was given away just in the nick of time :)To his credit, he pitched fairly well for our Nats this year. I wish him well. August 9, 2011 11:54 PM ___________________________Change of scenery is a factor. His team rallied around him, down 7-1 and came back to win 11-9. His amazing team luck continues. His team's win for him. That's what is most important, WINNING

146. m20832 - Aug 10, 2011 at 1:25 PM

And We Like WINNING!!! Especially on the road! The cubbies were Wang'd!!!C'mon Ross, put your A-Game out there tonight and beat them again!GYFNG!!