Aug 9, 2011, 12:39 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The tarp at Wrigley Field was unrolled at 4 p.m. and stayed there all evening.
Updated at 9:30 p.m.
CHICAGO — Steady rain showers throughout the late afternoon and the threat of more to come forced the postponement of Monday’s game between the Nationals and Cubs.
It will be made up Thursday at 2:20 p.m. EDT, negating what had been a scheduled off-day for both clubs.
The Nationals were already planning to stay over in Chicago Wednesday night and not fly to Philadelphia until mid-afternoon Thursday, so players actually preferred to extend this series rather than play a day-night doubleheader either Tuesday or Wednesday.
“We were going to have the day off Thursday, but we weren’t going to travel til 3 o’clock,” manager Davey Johnson said. “So we’ll probably get to Philly about the same time we would have normally. There was some conversation about a split [doubleheader], but I think everybody wanted to do what we’re doing.”
Johnson said he will bump each of his starting pitchers back a day, so Chien-Ming Wang will now pitch Tuesday night, with Ross Detwiler
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?