Aug 9, 2011, 12:39 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The tarp at Wrigley Field was unrolled at 4 p.m. and stayed there all evening.
Updated at 9:30 p.m.
CHICAGO — Steady rain showers throughout the late afternoon and the threat of more to come forced the postponement of Monday’s game between the Nationals and Cubs.
It will be made up Thursday at 2:20 p.m. EDT, negating what had been a scheduled off-day for both clubs.
The Nationals were already planning to stay over in Chicago Wednesday night and not fly to Philadelphia until mid-afternoon Thursday, so players actually preferred to extend this series rather than play a day-night doubleheader either Tuesday or Wednesday.
“We were going to have the day off Thursday, but we weren’t going to travel til 3 o’clock,” manager Davey Johnson said. “So we’ll probably get to Philly about the same time we would have normally. There was some conversation about a split [doubleheader], but I think everybody wanted to do what we’re doing.”
Johnson said he will bump each of his starting pitchers back a day, so Chien-Ming Wang will now pitch Tuesday night, with Ross Detwiler
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez starts strong, but Astros top Nationals
- Bryce Harper repping new eye black company
- Gonzalez faces Astros under the lights in Viera
- Should Desmond be the Nationals' No. 2 hitter?
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals