Aug 9, 2011, 12:39 AM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The tarp at Wrigley Field was unrolled at 4 p.m. and stayed there all evening.
Updated at 9:30 p.m.
CHICAGO — Steady rain showers throughout the late afternoon and the threat of more to come forced the postponement of Monday’s game between the Nationals and Cubs.
It will be made up Thursday at 2:20 p.m. EDT, negating what had been a scheduled off-day for both clubs.
The Nationals were already planning to stay over in Chicago Wednesday night and not fly to Philadelphia until mid-afternoon Thursday, so players actually preferred to extend this series rather than play a day-night doubleheader either Tuesday or Wednesday.
“We were going to have the day off Thursday, but we weren’t going to travel til 3 o’clock,” manager Davey Johnson said. “So we’ll probably get to Philly about the same time we would have normally. There was some conversation about a split [doubleheader], but I think everybody wanted to do what we’re doing.”
Johnson said he will bump each of his starting pitchers back a day, so Chien-Ming Wang will now pitch Tuesday night, with Ross Detwiler
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"
- Marlins catcher not happy after getting benched: 'Yeah I’m mad'
- Nats hope to keep bats rolling vs. Phillies
- MLB Power Rankings: Red Sox, Dodgers flying high
- Nats' offense continues to roll in win vs. Phillies