Aug 9, 2011, 12:39 AM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The tarp at Wrigley Field was unrolled at 4 p.m. and stayed there all evening.
Updated at 9:30 p.m.
CHICAGO — Steady rain showers throughout the late afternoon and the threat of more to come forced the postponement of Monday’s game between the Nationals and Cubs.
It will be made up Thursday at 2:20 p.m. EDT, negating what had been a scheduled off-day for both clubs.
The Nationals were already planning to stay over in Chicago Wednesday night and not fly to Philadelphia until mid-afternoon Thursday, so players actually preferred to extend this series rather than play a day-night doubleheader either Tuesday or Wednesday.
“We were going to have the day off Thursday, but we weren’t going to travel til 3 o’clock,” manager Davey Johnson said. “So we’ll probably get to Philly about the same time we would have normally. There was some conversation about a split [doubleheader], but I think everybody wanted to do what we’re doing.”
Johnson said he will bump each of his starting pitchers back a day, so Chien-Ming Wang will now pitch Tuesday night, with Ross Detwiler
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How much will the Nationals miss LaRoche?
- Report: Yankees tried to trade for Phillies SS Jimmy Rollins
- A reason for each MLB team to be thankful this Thanksgiving
- Who's better right now?
- Point/Counterpoint: Biggest threat in NL East in 2015?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats