Aug 9, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth and Michael Morse will definitely be part of next year's lineup.
CHICAGO — What's the No. 1 problem area that has plagued the Nationals this season? Obviously, a lack of offensive production. How many more games might this team have won had it simply produced one more clutch hit per night, especially during the season's first half when the pitching staff was regularly allowing three or fewer runs?
So it would stand to reason that the No. 1 area the Nationals will need to address this winter is a significant offensive upgrade.
Except, that probably won't be the case.
Scroll through the Nationals position by position, and it becomes pretty clear they're already set for 2012 in at least six of eight spots, possibly seven…
CATCHER: Wilson Ramos is firmly entrenched as the starter. The only question is who will back him up next season.
FIRST BASE: Adam LaRoche is expected to be 100 percent healedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins