Aug 9, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth and Michael Morse will definitely be part of next year's lineup.
CHICAGO — What's the No. 1 problem area that has plagued the Nationals this season? Obviously, a lack of offensive production. How many more games might this team have won had it simply produced one more clutch hit per night, especially during the season's first half when the pitching staff was regularly allowing three or fewer runs?
So it would stand to reason that the No. 1 area the Nationals will need to address this winter is a significant offensive upgrade.
Except, that probably won't be the case.
Scroll through the Nationals position by position, and it becomes pretty clear they're already set for 2012 in at least six of eight spots, possibly seven…
CATCHER: Wilson Ramos is firmly entrenched as the starter. The only question is who will back him up next season.
FIRST BASE: Adam LaRoche is expected to be 100 percent healedRead more »
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Breaking down the Nats and Giants season series
- Stock Watch: Rotation is sizzling heading into October
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll