Aug 9, 2011, 11:35 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Stephen Strasburg threw 31 pitches over 1 2/3 innings Sunday at Hagerstown.
CHICAGO — Stephen Strasburg’s rehab tour has officially booked its next stop. The recovering Nationals right-hander will start Friday night at high-Class A Potomac, the closest he’ll get to Washington before making his official return from Tommy John surgery next month.
Five days after throwing 31 pitches over 1 2/3 innings for low-Class A Hagerstown, Strasburg will climb one level up the Nationals’ farm system. He’s slated to throw three innings or about 45-50 pitches for Potomac against Myrtle Beach (an affiliate of the Texas Rangers).
Though the Nationals have had concerns about the field conditions at Pfitzner Stadium — which has experienced 11 postponements this season due, in part due to drainage problems — they will let Strasburg pitch there. Ultimately, according to general manager Mike Rizzo, it’s more important that the 23-year-old pitch in one of the organization’s home facilities than on the road at a different level.
“We need to control the environment, and we have that capability when we’re at home,” Rizzo said, adding: “Potomac was home.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1