Aug 9, 2011, 11:35 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Stephen Strasburg threw 31 pitches over 1 2/3 innings Sunday at Hagerstown.
CHICAGO — Stephen Strasburg’s rehab tour has officially booked its next stop. The recovering Nationals right-hander will start Friday night at high-Class A Potomac, the closest he’ll get to Washington before making his official return from Tommy John surgery next month.
Five days after throwing 31 pitches over 1 2/3 innings for low-Class A Hagerstown, Strasburg will climb one level up the Nationals’ farm system. He’s slated to throw three innings or about 45-50 pitches for Potomac against Myrtle Beach (an affiliate of the Texas Rangers).
Though the Nationals have had concerns about the field conditions at Pfitzner Stadium — which has experienced 11 postponements this season due, in part due to drainage problems — they will let Strasburg pitch there. Ultimately, according to general manager Mike Rizzo, it’s more important that the 23-year-old pitch in one of the organization’s home facilities than on the road at a different level.
“We need to control the environment, and we have that capability when we’re at home,” Rizzo said, adding: “Potomac was home.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets