Aug 10, 2011, 5:19 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Chien-Ming Wang tossed six innings of one-hit ball to beat the Cubs.
CHICAGO — It’s only one start. That’s what Chien-Ming Wang and the Nationals had to remind themselves late Tuesday night after the right-hander carved his way through the Cubs’ lineup like a hunk of tender meat during a 3-1 victory at Wrigley Field.
There’s no guarantee he’ll do this again Sunday in Philadelphia or any other time he takes the mound over the next seven weeks. There’s no guarantee, after a major shoulder injury that took away two years of his life, he’ll ever be able to do this again on the big-league stage.
But there’s nothing wrong with fantasizing a little bit right now, wondering whether Wang’s six innings of one-hit ball might just be a precursor of things to come. Maybe, just maybe, he can join Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann and John Lannan in a 2012 rotation that might actually catapult the Nationals to heights previously unreached.
“That’s the reason why we took a chance on him,” third baseman Ryan Zimmerman said. “Because he was so good. If he comes all the way back … he’d be a good person to have in your organization.”
If there were any uninformed patrons among the crowd of 37,109 at Wrigley Field Tuesday night — those who remembered Wang from his dominant days with the Yankees but unaware of what has transpired
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays