Aug 10, 2011, 5:19 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Chien-Ming Wang tossed six innings of one-hit ball to beat the Cubs.
CHICAGO — It’s only one start. That’s what Chien-Ming Wang and the Nationals had to remind themselves late Tuesday night after the right-hander carved his way through the Cubs’ lineup like a hunk of tender meat during a 3-1 victory at Wrigley Field.
There’s no guarantee he’ll do this again Sunday in Philadelphia or any other time he takes the mound over the next seven weeks. There’s no guarantee, after a major shoulder injury that took away two years of his life, he’ll ever be able to do this again on the big-league stage.
But there’s nothing wrong with fantasizing a little bit right now, wondering whether Wang’s six innings of one-hit ball might just be a precursor of things to come. Maybe, just maybe, he can join Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann and John Lannan in a 2012 rotation that might actually catapult the Nationals to heights previously unreached.
“That’s the reason why we took a chance on him,” third baseman Ryan Zimmerman said. “Because he was so good. If he comes all the way back … he’d be a good person to have in your organization.”
If there were any uninformed patrons among the crowd of 37,109 at Wrigley Field Tuesday night — those who remembered Wang from his dominant days with the Yankees but unaware of what has transpired
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day