Aug 11, 2011, 11:49 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Two late home runs, combined with little run support, cost Jordan Zimmermann.
CHICAGO — A nine-inning baseball game typically features 300 total pitches, countless decisions and any number of opportunities for players on each side of the diamond. There are, however, a handful of games over the course of a season that truly are decided by one or two key moments.
And when those moments involve young players still learning how to thrive in such high-pressure situations, the results often are painful to watch, even if they do teach those players how to better handle them the next time around.
The Nationals’ 4-3 loss to the Cubs Thursday afternoon fit that description. Painful to watch both from afar and up close, it perhaps will serve a greater purpose down the road when Jordan Zimmermann and Ian Desmond look back and realize what they did wrong and what they could have done better to turn this excruciating loss into an uplifting victory.
Start with Zimmermann, who for most of the day was as sharp as he’s been all season. Blowing away Chicago’s hitters with a lethal combination of mid-90s fastballs and high-70s curveballs, the
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets