Aug 11, 2011, 11:49 PM EDT
Associated Press photo
Two late home runs, combined with little run support, cost Jordan Zimmermann.
CHICAGO — A nine-inning baseball game typically features 300 total pitches, countless decisions and any number of opportunities for players on each side of the diamond. There are, however, a handful of games over the course of a season that truly are decided by one or two key moments.
And when those moments involve young players still learning how to thrive in such high-pressure situations, the results often are painful to watch, even if they do teach those players how to better handle them the next time around.
The Nationals’ 4-3 loss to the Cubs Thursday afternoon fit that description. Painful to watch both from afar and up close, it perhaps will serve a greater purpose down the road when Jordan Zimmermann and Ian Desmond look back and realize what they did wrong and what they could have done better to turn this excruciating loss into an uplifting victory.
Start with Zimmermann, who for most of the day was as sharp as he’s been all season. Blowing away Chicago’s hitters with a lethal combination of mid-90s fastballs and high-70s curveballs, the
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Nationals Stock Watch: Heroes aplenty during memorable week
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)