Aug 11, 2011, 5:30 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Ryan Dempster in the rubber game at Wrigley Field.
CHICAGO — Jordan Zimmermann makes his 23rd start of the season, and if you have the ability to tune in for this Thursday matinee, you might want to catch a glimpse because there won't be many more opportunities to watch the right-hander in action. Zimmermann's innings count sits at 138 1/3, so he's got only three or four more starts before the Nationals shut him down.
Zimmermann will need to both pitch well and hope for some run support if he wants to get his record over the .500 mark (he enters today 7-9 despite a sparkling 3.12 ERA). The Nationals have begun hitting the ball better in recent weeks, though last night were pretty much shut down by Rodrigo Lopez and three Cubs relievers.
One potential bright spot: Danny Espinosa dropped a perfect bunt single in the eighth inning, perhaps the kind of thing that can help get him going again after struggling through a prolonged slump. Davey Johnson said this morning he had talked to Espinosa about bunting more and believes it can be a big weapon for him. We'll see what effect it may have.
It's another gorgeous day at Wrigley Field. If you can't watch on TV or listen on the radio, check back here for plenty of updates…
NATIONALS at CUBS
Where: Wrigley Field
Gametime: 2:20 p.m.
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM)
Weather: Sunny, 79 degrees, Wind 5 mph in from CF
CF Rick Ankiel
2B Danny Espinosa
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Significant moment No. 7: Williams benches Harper
- Significant moment No. 8: Span breaks hit record
- Nats sign veteran infielder Stewart to minor deal
- Ex-Nats pitcher Haren really doesn't want to pitch for the Marlins
- Significant moment No. 9: Soriano out, Storen in
- Nats sign veteran Heath Bell to minor-league deal
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June