Aug 11, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
CHICAGO — Bryce Harper was ejected from Wednesday night’s game at Class AA Harrisburg after arguing a called third strike, the latest display of emotion from the Nationals’ top farmhand.
Harper, 18, took an outside 3-2 fastball in the bottom of the seventh inning from Richmond pitcher Eric Surkamp, then began to trot to first base believing he had drawn a walk. Plate umpire Max Guyll, though, called the pitch a strike.
Harper turned back toward the plate and slammed his helmet to the ground in frustration, at which point Guyll (who, according to the Patriot-News had drawn the ire of players on both sides for his generous strike zone) ejected him. Harper then argued in Guyll’s face
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Strasburg, Nationals look to secure series win vs. Mariners
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League