Aug 11, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
CHICAGO — Bryce Harper was ejected from Wednesday night’s game at Class AA Harrisburg after arguing a called third strike, the latest display of emotion from the Nationals’ top farmhand.
Harper, 18, took an outside 3-2 fastball in the bottom of the seventh inning from Richmond pitcher Eric Surkamp, then began to trot to first base believing he had drawn a walk. Plate umpire Max Guyll, though, called the pitch a strike.
Harper turned back toward the plate and slammed his helmet to the ground in frustration, at which point Guyll (who, according to the Patriot-News had drawn the ire of players on both sides for his generous strike zone) ejected him. Harper then argued in Guyll’s face
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement
- Nationals Stock Watch: NL East champs have plenty of risers
- Matt Williams quotes Robert Frost in postgame speech (VIDEO)
- VIDEO: Nats celebrate NL East title with loud music, lots of beer
- Nationals players react to winning NL East on Twitter
- PHOTOS: Harper wears custom firefighters helmet to celebrate
- Nationals clinch NL East with victory in Atlanta
- How did Zimmerman fare in first game action in Viera?