Aug 11, 2011, 4:55 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ross Detwiler allowed three runs over five innings in the Nats’ 4-2 loss.
CHICAGO — Ross Detwiler has started 22 big-league games over the last three seasons. It’s not nearly a large enough sample size to make a definitive call on the left-hander’s ability to pitch at this level. Yet it’s also not an insignificant number of outings in which to draw some conclusions about the 25-year-old.
Facts are facts, and after suffering a 4-2 loss to the Cubs Wednesday night, Detwiler now sports a career 3-11 record and 5.03 ERA in those 22 starts.
Has he been the victim of poor run support, as was the case Wednesday when his teammates managed one earned run off retread Chicago starter Rodrigo Lopez? Sure.
Has he also been bounced back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen, the major leagues and Class AAA, making it difficult to develop a routine and comfort level with his situation? Yes.
Because of all that, the Nationals remain enticed by what Detwiler
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies