Aug 11, 2011, 4:55 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ross Detwiler allowed three runs over five innings in the Nats’ 4-2 loss.
CHICAGO — Ross Detwiler has started 22 big-league games over the last three seasons. It’s not nearly a large enough sample size to make a definitive call on the left-hander’s ability to pitch at this level. Yet it’s also not an insignificant number of outings in which to draw some conclusions about the 25-year-old.
Facts are facts, and after suffering a 4-2 loss to the Cubs Wednesday night, Detwiler now sports a career 3-11 record and 5.03 ERA in those 22 starts.
Has he been the victim of poor run support, as was the case Wednesday when his teammates managed one earned run off retread Chicago starter Rodrigo Lopez? Sure.
Has he also been bounced back and forth between the rotation and the bullpen, the major leagues and Class AAA, making it difficult to develop a routine and comfort level with his situation? Yes.
Because of all that, the Nationals remain enticed by what Detwiler
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard