X-rays on Morse negative

Aug 11, 2011, 10:32 PM EDT

Associated Press photo
Michael Morse winces after getting hit by a pitch in the left elbow.

CHICAGO — Michael Morse was forced to depart Thursday's game against the Cubs when he was struck in the left elbow by a Ryan Dempster fastball, an injury that sent the Nationals first baseman to the hospital for X-rays and left manager Davey Johnson concerned.

"I've seen a lot of them. I've had a lot of them, too," Johnson said following the Nationals' 4-3 loss. "But his whole arm was shaking. It got him right on the bone. Usually, that will let up. But that one didn't seem to let up. I hope everything's going to be alright."

Because there are no X-ray machines at dated and cramped Wrigley Field, players have to be taken to a nearby hospital for tests. The Nationals hadn't received an update on Morse at game's conclusion; they also didn't know if he and head trainer Lee Kuntz would make it to the airport in time to join the team's charter flight to Philadelphia.

Dempster's seventh-inning fastball appeared to catch Morse square on the left elbow, and he immediately began writhing in pain. He slowly made his way to first base, where Johnson and trainer MikeRead more »

1. Anonymous - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:43 PM

What a damn shame. I was ten minutes away from home when this happened and I had been thinking about whether he could catch Reyes.

2. Anonymous - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:44 PM

That pitch had the appearance of a purposeful pitch.My only surprise is why didn't our pitcher retaliate in kind?

3. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM

People… You pitch Morse in so he can't extend. There was no intent to hit him. Maybe we can see Chris Marrero for 2 weeks before the September call ups.

4. Anonymous - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:06 PM

And what would that purpose be? Looked like an inside pitch that got him. Nothing more.

5. JaneB - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM

I've typed and deleted so many sentences, in full-on "bargaining with the universe" mode. Like everyone here, I want him to be alright, even if it takes a little while to get alright. I want him as my first base guy and clean up hitter as soon as possible, for as long as possible.

6. rmoore446 - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I'm with you JaneB. He's the offensive heart of this team right now and we need him bad.

7. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:39 PM

8. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:41 PM

NatsJack and anon @ 7:06– Agree. No history here, just two clubs trying to win a ballgame, which is a good thing. However, when the D-Backs get here…

9. Gonat - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:43 PM

Mark'd said… NatsLady said… Morse went to the hospital to have x-rays.XRay was negative. Waiting on MRI. I am sure if he were a Cub he would have been seen quicker. August 11, 2011 6:35 PM ______________________________Saw this and thought I would copy it here. Morse has really been the consistent offense May to August

10. Doc - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Time for MM to wear a flexible elbow pad. They are not going to stop pitching him in, and Beast Mode is not going to change his stance any time soon.Let's hope and pray that today's injury proves to be minor. Mickey Morse is the straw that stirs the Nats' drink!

11. Soonand Myosurus - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Now, here is my question: Are anon6:43 and anon6:44 the same person? Looks like anon7:06 is a different person or at least has a different view of the hit. Very confusing.

12. NatsLady - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:52 PM

Mention of the flight to Philly reminded me of this article I read about the makeup game. Gives insight about scheduling. http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110809&content_id=22971962&notebook_id=22974654&vkey=notebook_chc&c_id=chc

13. LoveDaNats - Aug 11, 2011 at 11:58 PM

Best wishes and prayers out to Michael Morse. My stomach sank when I saw that HBP. And on the same arm as before!

14. Gonat - Aug 12, 2011 at 12:25 AM

Mark Zuckerman Official word from #Nats: Morse suffered contusion. X-rays negative.17 minutes ago _____________________________Mark, our man Mark'd 2 hours ago said the XRays are negative. What is up with the MRI

15. Anonymous - Aug 12, 2011 at 12:41 AM

What does it matter if two anonymous posters are the same person or not? Look at what is said, and don't worry about who is saying it. The commenters here who use names have no more credibility than the commenters who choose not to.

16. Gonat - Aug 12, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Anonymous, at least we can keep score between Anon1 and Anon2, etc.

17. Anonymous - Aug 12, 2011 at 1:06 AM

I don't agree. There are some posters here who establish credibility and I know who they are by their handles. I look forward to their posts and read them carefully even if I don't agree with them all. The anons are just lazy and discourteous if they know how to use the blog and don't bother. If they are newbies, ok. But I ignore anon posts especially long ones. Might lose something by it but that's my policy, whoever I am.

18. Gonat - Aug 12, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Anon @ 9:06, simply LMAO

19. nationals7 - Aug 12, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Feel better Beast.

20. natsfan1a - Aug 12, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Me, too, Gonat.Also hope Morse is okay. However, I suspect it's the jinx of the MLB Network interview rather than the t-shirt. ;-)

21. natsfan1a - Aug 12, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Oh. Maybe the t-shirt theory was in another thread. Never mind…

22. natsfan1a - Aug 12, 2011 at 1:45 AM

Oh. Never mind, the sequel…UPDATE AT 9:30 P.M.: The X-rays taken on Morse's elbow came back negative and he's suffered only a contusion, according to the Nationals. His status is day-to-day.