Aug 11, 2011, 10:32 PM EST
Associated Press photo
Michael Morse winces after getting hit by a pitch in the left elbow.
UPDATE AT 9:30 P.M.: The X-rays taken on Morse's elbow came back negative and he's suffered only a contusion, according to the Nationals. His status is day-to-day.
CHICAGO — Michael Morse was forced to depart Thursday's game against the Cubs when he was struck in the left elbow by a Ryan Dempster fastball, an injury that sent the Nationals first baseman to the hospital for X-rays and left manager Davey Johnson concerned.
"I've seen a lot of them. I've had a lot of them, too," Johnson said following the Nationals' 4-3 loss. "But his whole arm was shaking. It got him right on the bone. Usually, that will let up. But that one didn't seem to let up. I hope everything's going to be alright."
Because there are no X-ray machines at dated and cramped Wrigley Field, players have to be taken to a nearby hospital for tests. The Nationals hadn't received an update on Morse at game's conclusion; they also didn't know if he and head trainer Lee Kuntz would make it to the airport in time to join the team's charter flight to Philadelphia.
Dempster's seventh-inning fastball appeared to catch Morse square on the left elbow, and he immediately began writhing in pain. He slowly made his way to first base, where Johnson and trainer MikeRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?
- Report: Marlins showing strong interest in LaRoche
- Nats minor league coordinator Beasley leaves for Rangers