Aug 12, 2011, 7:29 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Stephen Strasburg makes his second rehab start tonight at Pfitzner Stadium.
WOODBRIDGE, Va. — Hello from Pfitzner Stadium, home of the Class A Potomac Nationals and site tonight of Stephen Strasburg's second rehab start. I've jumped off the major-league Nationals beat for one day to cover this game, but I'll be heading up to Philadelphia tomorrow for the rest of the weekend series against the Phillies.
The plan for Strasburg tonight: Three innings or roughly 45-50 pitches. I wasn't in Hagerstown Sunday for his first start, so this is the first time I've seen him pitch since that fateful night at Citizens Bank Park nearly one year ago when his ulnar collateral ligament tore. I'll be interested to see not only how hard he throws, but also how he commands all of his pitches.
The working conditions here at the Pfitz are … well, this isn't a major-league ballpark. The press box has room only for the two radio announcers, scoreboard operator, official scorer and one local writer. So the rest of us schlubs will be sitting on the metal bleachers in the stands. Hoping to be able to provide updates here, so please check back. I'll also post a Nats-Phillies game thread shortly, so please use that for tonight's game commentary…
MYRTLE BEACH at POTOMAC
Where: Pfitzner Stadium
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Weather: Mostly sunny, 82 degrees, Wind 1 mph in from LF
POTOMAC (53-62, 24-22 second half)
SS Francisco Soriano
2B Jeff Kobernus
LF Destin Hood
DH Brian Peacock
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos