Aug 13, 2011, 12:04 AM EDT
Updated at 11:05 p.m.
WOODBRIDGE, Va. — If everything goes according to plan, Stephen Strasburg will be pitching for the Washington Nationals in about four weeks.
Anyone among the overflow crowd of 8,619 who watched the rehabbing right-hander toss three spectacular innings Friday night for the Class A Potomac Nationals would have sworn he’s ready to face big-league competition right now.
In his second start of a month-long rehab stint through the Nationals’ farm system, Strasburg dominated the opposing Myrtle Beach Pelicans. He struck out five, didn’t allow a run or issue a walk, regularly hit 98 mph with his fastball, showed off a knee-buckling curveball and a devastating changeup and never allowed a ball to leave the infield.
Oh, and he needed only 33 pitches (26 strikes) to complete his predetermined three innings of work, which meant he had to throw another 17 in the bullpen afterward just to get his work in.
Did that look like a pitcher who isn’t ready to face big-league hitters?
“Not really,” Potomac manager Matt LeCroy said after his team completed a 1-0 victory.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'
- Marlins pitcher part of sports betting investigation
- Scherzer on mound as Nats face Cards
- Rendon unlikely for Opening Day after 2nd MRI
- Taking a crack at the Nats' Opening Day roster
- 3-time All-Star retires day after getting cut by Nats
- Braves, Marlins miss out on Cuban star Hector Olivera