Aug 14, 2011, 3:28 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa, like many of his teammates, was in need of today’s rainout.
Updated at 12:45 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA — Heavy rain forced the postponement of Sunday’s series finale at Citizens Bank Park, the creation of a day-night doubleheader Sept. 20 and a nearly 72-hour window in which the Nationals won’t play a ballgame.
Not that they were terribly upset by this development. It actually came at a fortuitous time for a Nationals club that includes several players in need of some extra rest.
First, though, the pertinent rainout details:
– The game will be made up at 1:05 p.m. on Sept. 20, in advance of the previously scheduled 7:05 p.m. series opener between the two teams.
– There was some talk about playing the makeup game Monday (a common off-day for both clubs) but the Nationals were strongly opposed to that possibility because it would have resulted in 34 consecutive days in which they had no scheduled off-days (they reported to the park both before Thursday’s rainout in Chicago and before Sunday’s rainout here).
– Manager Davey Johnson said he will push everyone in his rotation back, which means Chien-Ming Wang will now start Tuesday
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal