Aug 14, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa, like many of his teammates, was in need of today’s rainout.
Updated at 12:45 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA — Heavy rain forced the postponement of Sunday’s series finale at Citizens Bank Park, the creation of a day-night doubleheader Sept. 20 and a nearly 72-hour window in which the Nationals won’t play a ballgame.
Not that they were terribly upset by this development. It actually came at a fortuitous time for a Nationals club that includes several players in need of some extra rest.
First, though, the pertinent rainout details:
– The game will be made up at 1:05 p.m. on Sept. 20, in advance of the previously scheduled 7:05 p.m. series opener between the two teams.
– There was some talk about playing the makeup game Monday (a common off-day for both clubs) but the Nationals were strongly opposed to that possibility because it would have resulted in 34 consecutive days in which they had no scheduled off-days (they reported to the park both before Thursday’s rainout in Chicago and before Sunday’s rainout here).
– Manager Davey Johnson said he will push everyone in his rotation back, which means Chien-Ming Wang will now start Tuesday
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants