Aug 14, 2011, 3:28 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa, like many of his teammates, was in need of today’s rainout.
Updated at 12:45 p.m.
PHILADELPHIA — Heavy rain forced the postponement of Sunday’s series finale at Citizens Bank Park, the creation of a day-night doubleheader Sept. 20 and a nearly 72-hour window in which the Nationals won’t play a ballgame.
Not that they were terribly upset by this development. It actually came at a fortuitous time for a Nationals club that includes several players in need of some extra rest.
First, though, the pertinent rainout details:
– The game will be made up at 1:05 p.m. on Sept. 20, in advance of the previously scheduled 7:05 p.m. series opener between the two teams.
– There was some talk about playing the makeup game Monday (a common off-day for both clubs) but the Nationals were strongly opposed to that possibility because it would have resulted in 34 consecutive days in which they had no scheduled off-days (they reported to the park both before Thursday’s rainout in Chicago and before Sunday’s rainout here).
– Manager Davey Johnson said he will push everyone in his rotation back, which means Chien-Ming Wang will now start Tuesday
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day