Aug 14, 2011, 4:07 AM EST
Associated Press photo
Ryan Howard crosses the plate after homering in the first inning.
PHILADELPHIA — By sheer virtue of being born in the state of New York, John Lannan is required to hate any and all things affiliated with the city of Philadelphia. So his disgust for the Phillies and Citizens Bank Park was ingrained in his soul long before he ever set foot in the building.
Everything Lannan has done while standing on the mound in the City of Brotherly Love, though, has only reinforced his feelings about this town and its local ballclub.
Put simply, Lannan cannot succeed here. Anything that can go wrong for the Nationals left-hander does go wrong, whether it’s getting ejected in his big-league debut, serving up towering home runs to one of baseball’s best lineups or being undone by shoddy defense and a crazy dribbler in front of the plate.
In the wake of his latest calamity on Philadelphia soil — an 11-3 drubbing Saturday night — Lannan was as terse and at a loss for words as he’s ever been in four-plus seasons as a major leaguer.
“I don’t know,” he said when asked what in particular went wrong during this game. “No clue.”
Can you blame him for feeling snakebit when he sets foot in Southeastern Pennsylvania? And it’s not some imaginary concept.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles