Aug 15, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Anthony Rendon has until midnight to sign with the Nationals.
It's August 15, and that can mean only one thing: The deadline for all picks from this summer's draft to sign has arrived. All teams have until midnight to lock up their draft choices or else lose the rights to them, a mishap the Nationals experienced in 2008 when they couldn't come to terms with Aaron Crow. (The right-hander wound up signing with the Royals the following year and this summer became an All-Star reliever.)
If you've been following the Nationals over the years, this drill is nothing new. The Crow debacle notwithstanding, the Nats have done well at the deadline in the past. Obviously, they signed Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper just seconds before the 2009 and 2010 deadlines. But they also last August struck last-minute deals with Sammy Solis and A.J. Cole.
So you know the drill by now, and certainly Mike Rizzo knows the drill.
Unlike the last two years, the Nationals aren't attempting to sign the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, once-in-a-generation talents like Strasburg and Harper. Which isn't to say Rizzo's task tonight will be easy. He's attempting to sign the organization's top five picks, allRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Instant analysis: Padres 4, Nats 3 (12)
- Injury updates on Gio Gonzalez, Doug Fister & Scott Hairston
- Nationals host Padres in first of four-game series
- MLB Power Rankings: Rangers moving up the ladder
- Deconstructing the Nationals' game-winning rally
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats