Aug 15, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Anthony Rendon has until midnight to sign with the Nationals.
It's August 15, and that can mean only one thing: The deadline for all picks from this summer's draft to sign has arrived. All teams have until midnight to lock up their draft choices or else lose the rights to them, a mishap the Nationals experienced in 2008 when they couldn't come to terms with Aaron Crow. (The right-hander wound up signing with the Royals the following year and this summer became an All-Star reliever.)
If you've been following the Nationals over the years, this drill is nothing new. The Crow debacle notwithstanding, the Nats have done well at the deadline in the past. Obviously, they signed Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper just seconds before the 2009 and 2010 deadlines. But they also last August struck last-minute deals with Sammy Solis and A.J. Cole.
So you know the drill by now, and certainly Mike Rizzo knows the drill.
Unlike the last two years, the Nationals aren't attempting to sign the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, once-in-a-generation talents like Strasburg and Harper. Which isn't to say Rizzo's task tonight will be easy. He's attempting to sign the organization's top five picks, allRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays
- Nationals roster review: Jordan Zimmermann
- Nats' prospect Tony Renda selected for AFL showcase