Aug 15, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
US Presswire file photo
Anthony Rendon has until midnight to sign with the Nationals.
It's August 15, and that can mean only one thing: The deadline for all picks from this summer's draft to sign has arrived. All teams have until midnight to lock up their draft choices or else lose the rights to them, a mishap the Nationals experienced in 2008 when they couldn't come to terms with Aaron Crow. (The right-hander wound up signing with the Royals the following year and this summer became an All-Star reliever.)
If you've been following the Nationals over the years, this drill is nothing new. The Crow debacle notwithstanding, the Nats have done well at the deadline in the past. Obviously, they signed Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper just seconds before the 2009 and 2010 deadlines. But they also last August struck last-minute deals with Sammy Solis and A.J. Cole.
So you know the drill by now, and certainly Mike Rizzo knows the drill.
Unlike the last two years, the Nationals aren't attempting to sign the No. 1 overall pick in the draft, once-in-a-generation talents like Strasburg and Harper. Which isn't to say Rizzo's task tonight will be easy. He's attempting to sign the organization's top five picks, allRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today