Aug 17, 2011, 3:47 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Ryan Zimmerman and Michael Morse scored four of the Nationals’ six runs.
The Nationals played their 120th game of the season Tuesday night, reaching the three-quarter pole of 2011 perhaps quicker than most realized. There are only 42 games left to play, but these will not be 42 games of insignificance.
With a 6-4 victory over the Reds, the Nationals improved to 58-62. There is an opportunity over the next six weeks to get over a hump that this franchise (in its current incarnation) has never managed to surpass: the .500 mark.
It may not seem like much, and truth be told there wouldn’t be that much difference between an 82-80 record to end the season and the 78-84 mark they would achieve at their current pace. But there is a sense within the clubhouse at Nationals Park that these final 42 games will go a long way toward determining how this team is perceived moving forward.
Is this a club ready to breakthrough in 2012 and challenge for a postseason berth? Or is this a club that remains another year or two away from true contention?
The Nationals believe their performance over the remainder of this season will help answer that fundamental question.
“The last couple years, we’ve done whatever our record is, but our last month and a half has always been bad,” third baseman Ryan
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After a disappointing 2015, what's next for the Nats?
- Both AL Division Series get started on Thursday
- ‘Baseball in the District’ – Mark Zuckerman on a big offseason
- What was the turning point for the 2015 Nationals?
- What went wrong for the Nationals in 2015?
- Desmond posts letter to Nationals fans on Twitter
- Miami to adjust dimensions at Marlins Park
- Astros, Yankees kick off playoffs in AL Wild Card game
- Time for Nationals to find a long-term manager
- Were the Nationals patient enough with Williams as manager?