Aug 18, 2011, 7:20 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
It's the rubber game of the series against the Reds tonight at Nationals Park.
Davey Johnson tried out a new-look lineup last night, with Ian Desmond hitting leadoff for the first time since mid-April. That new look didn't exactly produce a whole lot — aside from Ryan Zimmerman's ninth-inning homer — but in their defense, the Nationals were up against a dynamite starter in Johnny Cueto.
So Davey will stick with this lineup for at least another day, hoping it fares better tonight against Bronson Arroyo, the veteran right-hander who has struggled this season but has posted a 3.60 ERA over his last three starts.
Jordan Zimmermann, meanwhile, gets the ball for what is going to be one of his final starts of the season. If you're keeping track of such things, Zimmermann's innings count currently stands at 145, so he's got roughly 15 more to go before he's shut down.
I'm back at Nationals Park tonight, so plenty of updates to come, including highlights from Matt Purke's introductory press conference…
REDS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Chance of storms, 85 degrees, Wind 9 mph RF to LF
SS Ian Desmond
CF Rick Ankiel
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After a trying year, Gwynn Jr. tries to come back
- Nationals players excited to see pitching staff in action
- WATCH: Harper faces Strasburg for first time
- Werth hits off tee for first time since surgery
- Matt Harvey expected to make much-awaited return against Nats
- Ankiel starts new chapter as life skills coordinator
- Ian Desmond discusses team expectations and future with Nats
- Eventful BP for Harper, update on Werth in Tuesday's workout
- Desmond, Rendon like what they see from Zimmerman at 1B
- Scherzer to start exhibition opener vs. Mets