Aug 18, 2011, 11:18 PM EST
In the two-plus months that have since passed, there has been plenty of question about the status of Purke's left shoulder and whether it would prevent the Nationals from signing their third-round draft pick and putting him back on a mound.
There was never a doubt in Purke's mind, though. Confident all along his shoulder was fine, the left-hander spent the summer throwing near his home in Houston, keeping his arm in shape so he'd be ready to go the moment he signed his professional contract.
"Right now, I'm ready for about two or three innings of work," he insisted today upon his introduction at Nationals Park.
Apparently, there was nothing to worry about all along.
Any concerns the Nationals had, though, were eased earlier this summer when Purke consented to undergoing an enhanced MRI. Doctors injected a dye in his shoulder to help determine whetherRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito