Aug 18, 2011, 11:18 PM EST
In the two-plus months that have since passed, there has been plenty of question about the status of Purke's left shoulder and whether it would prevent the Nationals from signing their third-round draft pick and putting him back on a mound.
There was never a doubt in Purke's mind, though. Confident all along his shoulder was fine, the left-hander spent the summer throwing near his home in Houston, keeping his arm in shape so he'd be ready to go the moment he signed his professional contract.
"Right now, I'm ready for about two or three innings of work," he insisted today upon his introduction at Nationals Park.
Apparently, there was nothing to worry about all along.
Any concerns the Nationals had, though, were eased earlier this summer when Purke consented to undergoing an enhanced MRI. Doctors injected a dye in his shoulder to help determine whetherRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Granderson, Mets reach $60M, 4-yr deal
- Could Michael Morse return to the National League?
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal