Aug 18, 2011, 2:14 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ross Detwiler allowed one run and struck out seven over six strong innings.
Catching up on a few things after a busy Wednesday in NatsTown…
– Last night's 2-1 loss to the Reds had to be frustrating on a number of levels, not the least of which was the fact the Nationals had the tying run on third with one out in the ninth before Wilson Ramos grounded into the game-ending double play. But that disappointing finish shouldn't completely overshadow Ross Detwiler's stellar start.
Entering this one, serious questions surrounded the left-hander, who had failed to complete six innings in any of his last four big-league starts dating to last season. So when Detwiler not only went six against the Reds, but allowed only one run while establishing a new career-high with seven strikeouts, team officials had to be encouraged.
The Nationals want to continue to get more looks at Detwiler. Since the day he was drafted sixth overall in 2007, he's been more potential than results, but every once in a while you see an outing like this and realize there may yet be something productive inside that left arm.
– Sean Burnett gave up a costly tack-on run last night that put the Reds up 2-0 in the eighth instead of a 1-0 deficit that would have been erased by Ryan Zimmerman's ninth-inning homer. It was yet anotherRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Cliff Lee also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win