Aug 19, 2011, 7:33 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Roy Oswalt tonight at Nationals Park.
The Phillies are in town, which is a tough enough challenge in itself. That challenge becomes even tougher when your best and most consistent hitter isn't in the lineup.
Such is the case tonight for the Nationals, who have posted a lineup without Michael Morse listed. Laynce Nix is starting at first base and batting cleanup. Two possible reasons for this: 1) Morse could still be dealing with a bad left elbow after getting drilled there last week in Chicago, and 2) Though Morse has good numbers against Phillies starter Roy Oswalt (3-for-9, 2 doubles), Nix has REALLY good numbers against Oswalt (11-for-25, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 3 homers).
Livan Hernandez starts for the Nats, facing a Philly lineup that has both Ryan Howard and Carlos Ruiz back after each missed last night's game with injuries. Howard had a sore right hand. Ruiz had — wait for it — a bruised left testicle. Yep. Feel free to take a moment and cringe at the sound of that.
It's sunny right now at Nationals Park, but there's again a chance of showers tonight. Check back for updates…
PHILLIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Chance of storms, 85 degrees, Wind 4 mph RF to LF
SS Ian Desmond
CF Rick Ankiel
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Laynce Nix
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper does a pretty epic videobomb on Anthony Rendon
- ESPN throws shade on Nats' jerseys, calling them among worst in MLB
- On the cusp of majors, Taylor bides his time
- Mets pitcher really, really does not like defensive shifts
- Dodgers sign former Phillies free agent bust
- Nats sign son of MLB legend to minor-league deal
- Zimmerman getting used to working with fellow infielders at 1B
- Zimmermann ready for game action after live BP, including one hit batter
- Strasburg talks signing of Max Scherzer, rise of Nats as franchise
- Why the Nationals don't use the shift more