Game 123: Phillies at Nats

Aug 19, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Roy Oswalt tonight at Nationals Park.

The Phillies are in town, which is a tough enough challenge in itself. That challenge becomes even tougher when your best and most consistent hitter isn't in the lineup.

Such is the case tonight for the Nationals, who have posted a lineup without Michael Morse listed. Laynce Nix is starting at first base and batting cleanup. Two possible reasons for this: 1) Morse could still be dealing with a bad left elbow after getting drilled there last week in Chicago, and 2) Though Morse has good numbers against Phillies starter Roy Oswalt (3-for-9, 2 doubles), Nix has REALLY good numbers against Oswalt (11-for-25, 4 doubles, 1 triple, 3 homers).

Livan Hernandez starts for the Nats, facing a Philly lineup that has both Ryan Howard and Carlos Ruiz back after each missed last night's game with injuries. Howard had a sore right hand. Ruiz had — wait for it — a bruised left testicle. Yep. Feel free to take a moment and cringe at the sound of that.

It's sunny right now at Nationals Park, but there's again a chance of showers tonight. Check back for updates…

PHILLIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Chance of storms, 85 degrees, Wind 4 mph RF to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
SS Ian Desmond
CF Rick Ankiel
1B Laynce Nix

1. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Damn another series lost to the Philthies

2. Steve M. - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:39 PM

3. Jim Webster - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Would baseball-reference.com have stats on whether catchers have fewer children than other position players and pitchers?

4. Sam - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Possibility number two is unlikely because it would be simple enough to just sit Gomes for a game. Plus, given Davey Johnson's mathematical background, I'm sure he wouldn't make a lineup based on a sample size of 25 plate appearances.

5. PAY TO PLAY - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Ruiz had — wait for it — a bruised left testicle.______________Mark, glad they were specific that it was his left one and not his right one.

6. Doc - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Hmmm…curious, about Morse missing from the lineup; I go more with #1 reason–don't think that Davey's math would go in the direction of #2.Maybe Davey's doing a Lou Pinella, and saving Morse for the right situation off the bench??Further investigation of the Morse Factor needs to be done by our intrepid reporter.

7. Nats Outsider - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM

I can't see how any manager could sit Gomes after the game he had yesterday: He saved the game with a spectacular catch AND got the clutch hit that provided the margin of victory. DJ would need a better reason than mere statistics not to play Gomes today.

8. Nats Outsider - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:53 PM

PAY TO PLAY said… "glad they were specific that it was his left one."Personally, I'm glad they *weren't* specific about how it got bruised.

9. NatStat - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:54 PM

The left testicle usually hangs lower in homo spaiens, if that's what the Phillies are, and more prone to injury. Not easy being a catcher.

10. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2011 at 7:58 PM

I know Ryan Howard has suffered more foul balls this season, but this is ridiculous.

11. Steve M. - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Steve M. said… Nix is in a slump and even though he has hit Oswalt in the past, I still go with Morse and sit Gomes.Hope it all works!!!! August 19, 2011 3:39 PM I should have been more specific. How's about Nix in LF and Morse at 1B and have Gomes come off of the bench just like Davey had last Saturday against Oswalt?Morse went 2-4 against Oswalt with that 415 ft double last week against him. Nix went 1-4 with a double. Gomes PH.I am sure Mark will be asking Davey Johnson what's up with Morse in the pre-game.Does this have anything to do with Morse swinging at the 1st pitch with bases loaded yesterday?

12. Doc - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Very good point Steve M.; I was thinking the same thing. I think that Davey is cracking down on 1st pitch and gone ABs. He took Ramos out of the lineup last night(after previous game when he 1st pitch DP'd), when normally Ramos'd catch 3 in a row.

13. NatsLady - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM

From the previous thread: I would love to see the hiccup (Bixler) playing regularly, but someone needs to teach him to HIT. We don't have such a big offense that we can spare a spot for his line (.182/.243/.239). I know he hit great in 'Cuse, I know he hustles and he's fast as lightning–but there is a big difference between triple-A pitching and the Fillies.

14. natsfan1a - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Well, he does set up with his right leg extended, if memory serves…(I'd cringe if I hadn't just read about a player taking a direct hit in the same area and incurring a tear on each side. Yeesh. Okay, sorry for that one, too, guys.)Anyhoo:Go, (good) Livo!! Go, Nats!!PAY TO PLAY said… Mark, glad they were specific that it was his left one and not his right one. August 19, 2011 3:50 PM

15. Janner33 - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Please stop the "Desmond as leadoff experiment"! My eyes hurt the past few days every time i see the posted lineup.

16. gonatsgo - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Don't worry too much about the manager sitting people for bad at-bats ( if that's what he is doing, which shouldn't surprise anyone). He'll get bored and change to something else in a few days. He never really sticks with any of his pronouncements or experiments. And, Janner 33 – this line-up will probably go away soon, too. Remember? He likes to use the same lineup every day, oh wait? What? If you don't like the policy just wait a few days and it will change again. No plan….

17. baseballswami - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM

I really think we should pray for Ruiz's testicle in the same way that we prayed for Colome's buttocks. ( If you remember this – you have been around a while)Up until now, that was the creepiest injury ever. This won wins.

18. natsfan1a - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Perhaps not the most memorable JimBo line, but certainly up there.

19. baseballswami - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM

He was good for a laugh occasionally – but not always in a good way.

20. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Bryce done for the season. I think he will spend more time on the dl than we would like just because he plays so hard. Not the kind of kid you can hold back.He just goes all out.

21. gonatsgo - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Disappointing – I was really hoping that Bryce and SS would play at least one game on the same field this season.

22. JaneB - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Headed to the park to celebrate our anniversary watching my favorite Livo pitch. Not happy about no Morse. Nix may have hit Oswalt in the past, but he seems to be hurting these days.Still. A curlie W in our future. GYFNG!

23. Mark'd - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Like I reported last night Davey went "bad call" on Eckstein after Morse went first pitch swinging into that doubleplay.Coincidence?SteveM, all good points.

24. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:57 PM

My credit card is still at the Red Loft from last night. So I think if you can guess my last name, the drinks are on me. Just please tip well. I don't want the staff thinking I'm an idiot AND a bad tipper.

25. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Anybody at the park? – very bad weather at my house. How does it look there?

26. Jim Webster - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Spare us. New Channel 7 sports twit just said that Jonny "Gomez" hit a 2-rbi single. Even Debbie Ditz wouldn't make that mistake.

27. Mark'd - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:29 PM

Jim, sad isn't it?

28. N. Cognito - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:31 PM

"Anybody at the park? – very bad weather at my house. How does it look there?"How should I know. I can't see your house from here.Jonny "Gomez"That's actually a fairly common mispronunciation of his name. But still, sports twits should get it right.

29. N. Cognito - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:33 PM

"My credit card is still at the Red Loft from last night."Not anymore."Just please tip well. I don't want the staff thinking I'm an idiot AND a bad tipper."Too late!

30. baseballswami - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM

GYFNG!! and go, go Gomez! Did they try to pronounce Mattheus?

31. gonatsgo - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Nice feature on Drew Storen on pre-game at Washington Hospital Center. I love it that the players do community work. Good bunch of guys.

32. Drew8 - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Coming this fall:Harry Potter and the Deathly HRODSynopsis: Through the magic of floo powder, our heroes alight at the Winter Meetings in Dallas. Ron obtains a lock of Kenny Williams' hair and gives it to Hermione, who mixes up a vial of WhatHaveIDunn potion.Harry takes the vial and spikes the drink of Tampa GM Andrew Friedman. Mike Rizzo thus persuades Friedman to take Ian Desmond in exchange for a five-day old prune Danish.Harry throws the Invisibility Cloak over Henry Rodriguez so Friedman doesn't realize that HROD is part of the deal.Everyone lives happily ever after.

33. NatsLady - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:05 PM

AW, Drew wants to spirit away our Henry, who makes every game he enters SUCH an adventure!!!

34. baseballswami - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:05 PM

Drew8 – Awesome. But you forgot to say"he who shall not be named" sssshhhhh…

35. gonatsgo - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Oh,no — if Livo gets squeezed it's going to be a long night. But – it looks like bad weather is afoot.

36. Anonymous - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Well – why did they even start? Don't they have radar apps? It had to be obvious that this was going to happen.

37. natsfan1a - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Take cover in the Red Loft. Drinks are on N. Cog.

38. Slidell - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM

For those who grouse about the philthy Philles phans; many of them are getting a much-needed bath!

39. JaneB - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:50 PM

We are out numbered 3-1 by phillies fans. But our team has better fans. I'm thinking of heading over to the Red Porch on NCog. I promise to tip well.Rain rain go away. Then GYFNG!

40. baseballswami - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM

Represent us well, JaneB — and let us know what's going on – or not – there.

41. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:05 AM

On the radar is looks like there is a break of maybe an hour or two after this cell and then a big bag of rain in Pennsylvania. 20% chance of rain tomorrow, 50% chance for Sunday.

42. Bill Stoneman - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM

An interesting read. Can you say salary cap Mr Selig? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_heyman/08/19/draft-cap/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2elig?

43. gonatsgo - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:13 AM

So – apparently the Phillies had a rain delay last night that was pretty long and then got here at 3 am – anything that makes them more tired is fine with me. Perhaps they might like to play this game at, say, 10 am tomorrow? I know Livo likes his routines but he also has kind of a rubber arm. The front office should be shot for letting this game start. It hurts our pitcher. I am betting that Oswalt didn't really get ready. Maybe this weather front will make his back ache?

44. natsfan1a - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:14 AM

Stay safe, folks. Thanks for representing us. And try not to max out the credit card too soon. (Buckets of rain and lightning in Fairfax County now.)

45. baseballswami - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:22 AM

Mark,Mark, Mark – very funny stuff. I live near the Pfitz – terrible weather started here hours ago, too. Anything going on there? Phils fans behaving themselves?

46. JaneB - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:34 AM

Where I am sitting, the phans who have tried to get something ugly going have been shut down. Guy in a Halliday shirt apologized for his drink friends. So far, wr are holding our own.

47. Drew8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:47 AM

I'm glad they're shutting the kid down.This looks like a night of Pfitz and starts.

48. JaneB - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Live warming up in batting cage area now!!!

49. JaneB - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Livo I mean

50. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:01 AM

Thanks JaneB, you are braver than I. I swore off Phillies games after OD 2010 and have stuck by that. Can't wait til that city forgets it's has a team again. Hopefully our gracious ushers can start kicking out the really drunk and disorderly ones, 2 hour rain delay means they are probably toasted by now. Yeesh.

51. Anonymous - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM

And Charlie Manuel doesn't want to play on the wet field. Oh well, suck it up.

52. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:11 AM

Power out at my gym. Home and back wichyu guys in time for game?

53. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM

• Danny Espinosa is winning admirers, and while Ian Desmond is having a rough season, one scout said the Nats' DP combo of Espinosa and Desmond "could be Trammell and Whitaker."Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/jon_heyman/08/19/draft-cap/index.html#ixzz1VWlwjodM

54. nationals7 - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:41 AM

I'm in Ocean City… not one drop of rain. Great storm clouds though.I see Livo has unloaded his red mitt… he's had better luck with this one. Be safe, JaneB. I'm with grandstander… after '10 phillies nastiness towards me, I just don't wanna be around that mess…I hate not supporting the team in person.

55. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:49 AM

Oh, that 2nd inning was short but sweeeeeeeeeet. Guess Livo took a nap during the rain delay and woke up nice and rested.

56. Anonymous - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:51 AM

I hate hearing Werth booed so strongly in our own ballpark.

57. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:53 AM

Will be there tomorrow and Sunday to drown out some of the boos. I'm loud.

58. Cwj - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Anon 9:51- Agreed.Hope these Philly fans are chased from Nats town real soon. Perhaps a win or two against them will do the trick.I HATE Philly fans. Have I mentioned I'm not a fan of Philly fans?

59. Cwj - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Even though its highly unlikely, wouldn't it be great if the Nats absolutely creamed the Phillies?Like 15-0 or something like that :)One can always dream…

60. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:01 AM

Ouch. Bixler would have had that one.

61. nationals7 - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Where's the red mitt?!

62. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:06 AM

Bad Livo :(Anyone up for catching the midnight movie at Landmark E Street? The Room is playing, probably not as bad as this game.

63. Drew8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Harry has a new problem.Friedman's WhatHaveIDunn Potion is wearing off and Livo won't fit under the Invisibility Cloak.

64. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Wheels off the bus quickly. JRoll double, Gomes with a man on 2nd gets aggressive and triple, then BAD LIVAN rears his ugly head. Big double to Utley, single to Howard, single to Hunter Pence, hard single by Ruiz, Valdez single and luckily their 3rd base coach sends Ibanez to get thrown out at home by Werth to Ramos and Ramos held on!UGLY 4-0

65. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:11 AM

How can Livo be so good in one inning and so bad in the next?

66. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:14 AM

That's funny in the outfield when it's not us!

67. Anonymous8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:14 AM

4 score and 7 years…uh, I mean 4 score and 7 hits. What up Livan? We know you had tough duty tonight but once again you served up BP.

68. nationals7 - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Good bunt. Ol' Davey needs the good sport Livo back on the mound…

69. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:17 AM

Nice. Desi==>starting the comeback.

70. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:18 AM

Nice to get back 1. Good job Desi!

71. CBinDC - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Just wanted to post on the Filthy Fans ….I refuse to see another game with that team until management does something to repair the damage that Stan Kasten did…they are without doubt the worst collection of so called humanity alive…I have been to many games in many sports here and in other cities and never had as bad a time as the Philliy games at Natstown ….the worst of all ……so I will not again attend another Phillies Nats away game at Nationals Park until the FO does something about these invaders

72. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:31 AM

CBinDC — feeling your pain. Was it something in partcular?

73. Anonymous - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:41 AM

With Morse out, this game isn't worth watching. He's 90% of the offense. Looks like a long weekend.

74. Steady Eddie - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Jane– Happy anniversary! Did you stay? It's even more unpleasant here in the RF corner than in your usual part of the stands, though I think the rain delay took something out of the more obnoxious Philthies fans. Still, it's exactly as Mark wrote it — a road game. Not helped by most Nats' fans passivity.

75. CBinDC - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:42 AM

Ohh it built and built and then came opening day last year and that was the end …….never again …..I had been in Philliy on 4/28 the year before and all was fine. The Nats won with Olsen pitching …me and the one other Nats fan found each other on the way out of the center-field gate ….but this collection of trash is the same south philly garbage that broke Chief Zee's leg …booed and threw rocks at Santa Claus …..trashed the beat writer from Montreal car during the Cup playoffs ….at the park last year it was urinating in the trash can and the sink …pushing small children around…threatening people with a gang mentally and a few hundred infractions that as I start to type still get me angry…I just wish I had the smart phone to record these things ….look I have been at many hockey, football, basketball pro games involving all the teams from that area…this situation is the worst of them all

76. CBinDC - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:47 AM

I really wish somebody from the media would ask the powers that be are they happy with what Stan created …I do not buy the well if you would come they would not …this like I said is so bad from any situation in this town it deserves special attention …..I am talking Flyers and Eagles …76ers never count much as much the Bullets and those games never reached this horror show ….and the Nats have done nothing to address it ….they would not even return my emails and calls about it

77. JaneB - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:49 AM

We are still here. Surrounded by phans. It's like they should be at a monster truck rally instead, they are such testosteroned, puffy chested loud mouths. And those are the civilized ones. Great play Zimm to Nix and they are ugly about that too. I need to remember this in the future.

78. Anonymous - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:49 AM

Thanks, CBinDc, and I know whence you talk about. I swore off Filthy after OD 2010 when I took my 68-year-old sister to that game and she heard stuff that even made me cringe. I just wish they would take their rusted out 1979 Olds 88s back up I-95 and take their skanky girlfriends with them. They are louts, pure and simple. This rain delay could not possibly have helped the civility index. City of Brotherly Louts.

79. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:50 AM

Dare I say it, but Gorzo just looked the best I've seen him. That's someone who knows he's pitching for his job. He's out of options and a strong non-tender candidate. Hope it continues, we need to just eat these innings up and try and hang in there with Morse gone and the rest of the offense looking putrid against Kendrick.

80. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:51 AM

Well, that woke up the Nats fans.

81. Drew8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:54 AM

Way to go Wilson!Speaking of homers, at Hagerstown, Baby Beast(TM) Kevin Keyes homers AGAIN.In 71 games at Hagerstown Keyes has 14 homers and 59 RBIs.How good is that?Harper played 72 games at Hagerstown. He had 14 homers and 46 RBIs.Keyes' homer backed A.J. Cole, who gave up 1 earned over 5 and lowered his ERA to 3.43.At Syracuse, Tom Milone upped his record to 10-6 and lowered his ERA to 3.43. Milone struck out 10 and walked 0.For the season Milone has 141 strikeouts and 13 walks.

82. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Did I tell the story of last year, sitting near the Red Porch. Lots of Philly fans in my row, nice ladies, came on a bus. In front of me, drunk guys.So, Werth hits a homerun in the top of the 9th, they think they got it. RZimm comes up, he's having none of that, hits a walk-off homer. Philly fan punches Nats fan in the face, his buddies start in on other fans, luckily the usher was a big guy and security came fast. Never had that experience with ANY other game.

83. CBinDC - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:01 AM

I know that the Lerners seem to only like money …..and saying anything like we are sorry is not in their vocabulary but is you want to stop this horror show next year then you stop all Philly games from online sales… only season tickets and box office sales at least the Filthies would have to ask their parole officers twice to leave the city that should keep the number down or they would be trapped in ticket sales lines …..but something needs to be done it is dangerous and unsettling to attend one of those games and I would never take a child …what I saw those Filthies do last year was border line criminal and I tried to intervene with help from the Security but they were just like China security …NOTHING

84. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:01 AM

Nats fans with some loud boos! Good for them. Louder than the cheers, I think.

85. JaneB - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Did not catch the foul ball hit by Ruiz that dropped into Thr seat next to me. 6 years of Nats baseball and I miss the only ball near me.Just had to report. Fortunately Ian Desmond does catch them.

86. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Nice Ramos HR! Nice Desi defense!

87. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:07 AM

The only thing that will cure this cancer is the Phillies starting to lose again. I went to tons of Phillies games 05-08 and it was just like any other. Back then, the Mets fan were worse. Even 09 wasn't that bad. They made noise, but things weren't inherently violent and unpleasant. These days, I just stay away.Nice play by Desi there though. What he lacks with a bat he makes up for with D. Let's see if we can put something together.

88. Anonymous8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:08 AM

NatsLady said… Nats fans with some loud boos! Good for them. Louder than the cheers, I think. August 19, 2011 11:01 PM ____________________________You are joking right? That was RUUUUUU for Ruiz.

89. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:10 AM

No, it was boos. Hadda be. :(

90. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Or they were booing Raul because he sucks? I have the TV on mute.

91. CBinDC - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:12 AM

Anybody ever go to the area in South Philly where the cheese steak was created. There is Genos and Pats Steak if there was ever an area that defines the trash that comes down here it is that part of town. BTW they were ok but really this is what started the cheese steak ….must be the attitude to go with the food

92. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Nevermind, just realized that was in reference to a different player.

93. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Yah, those Philthie fans are clever NatsLady and CBinDC the only way to keep them out is for season ticket sales to get up to 30,000+ to give a 4:1 ratio which should keep most of them away.CBinDC, by the way, what business owner doesn't like money? That's how you stay in business. Its a very disparaging statement to owners who have been spending. If Washington area residents backed the team, we wouldn't have a problem, would we?

94. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:19 AM

Strand Zim on 2nd with no outs. That sucked.

95. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:20 AM

CB, that may have been where the cheesesteak was "created", but they are well known tourist traps. As a frequent visitor of the hellhole known as Philly, I can tell you better cheesesteaks can be had almost anywhere. Purists espouse they must be made with "wiz", but in my mind, the way they make it on the west side with provolone is far superior.If you want a good DC area cheesesteak, Al's in Alexandria beats most of what I've had in Philly, and comes close to the best of what they offer.

96. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:21 AM

Zim WEB GEM.

97. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:23 AM

Wow, Zimm putting on a show tonight.

98. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:25 AM

All right, Gorzy, you can stay.

99. MicheleS - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:26 AM

I am here to! We are still in it GYFNG!

100. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:26 AM

Zimm with that great play, but Gorzo has looked stunning. Totally shut them down. Should've had him come out after the delay, though I don't blame Davey, could've gone differently I guess.

101. Drew8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:27 AM

CBinDCThat "money" comment about the Lerners is terribly unfair.They just coughed up $16 million for the four top picks when MLB recommended $5 million.They spent $126 million on Werth!They went out and got A.J. Cole and Robbie Ray and Matt Purke when many teams shied away.They keep spending after flushing $8 million down the toilet for four years of Yunesky Maya.You can criticize the Lerners for not speaking publicly, but these folks are trying to win.

102. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:30 AM

Why should the Lerners speak publicly? Don't we have enough of that from other owners?

103. Anonymous8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:35 AM

Joel Hanrahan with his worst outing of the year against the Reds. Leadoff walks will kill you. Joel gave up 3 earned and still has an inherited runner on base.

104. CBinDC - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:35 AM

105. Mark'd - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:40 AM

I am with those on the positives of this ownership group. They didnt start great but it is always how you finish.I also like owners who are seen and not heard.

106. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:43 AM

Ted didn't stop anything and don't believe anything Ted tells you. He seems to like money a lot too BTW which is why he inserted all those standing spots (don't move). The place sold out which is why you don't see many visitors and like I said when Nats Park gets to 30,000+ of STH, it will be at most a 4:1 ratio.

107. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Another thing the owners do well is Nats Park. Again, some startup glitches, and the vendors still have a problem if there are more than 30K in attendance, but, in general, it's a class operation. Also, plenty of advertising, everywhere, buses, bus stops, etc., the Post, websites, you see Nationals ads a lot.

108. Anonymous8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:48 AM

CBinDC said… Hey Ted stopped the hordes from Pittsburgh and Philly which were not as large as you would think but obnoxious and the Caps fans so grateful that now the place is sold-out …..taking money from any source is not always your best move ….I am saying that now it looks like the team will not suck all the time Lerners should do something to address this awful situation …if anything say yes i am not happy with the way things are…Kasten would not because he help create the problem and then split town ….BTW I did not think Kasten ever understood DC and the fanbase August 19, 2011 11:35 PM You know nothing except your deep seeded hatred. Your statement is the same stereotype we have heard before. The Lerner's "seem to only like money". They have plenty of money and finally are spending it.So now you try to cover up with a reference to Ted Leonsis. Teflon Ted.

109. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Bowden and Kasten leaving town definitely solved LAC. But that doesn't make them a great ownership group. They're starting to buy into the concept of owning a team, but it's not just about spending money (do I really have to mention the parallel?)The new marketing team has been unbelievable in shining this turd. I've noticed pretty large attendance spikes for their promo days ($1 Mondays, $2 Tuesdays, $1 hot dog Wednesdays). Taking down that hideous red tent on the garage past LF.But at a certain point, you have to go, "these fans from Philly are impacting the enjoyment of our hometown fans and we should end group ticket sales for those games and limit online sales."I understand money is money, but consistently ruining your fans experience for 9 out of 81 games a year has to stop if this team is to move to that next level and start competing.

110. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:51 AM

I give my feedback every time I am there–namely that I am very hesitant to buy tickets to Phillies games. If other people do the same, maybe it will be heard. The problem is, if WE don't buy tickets, then there are more for them…

111. Anonymous - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:54 AM

CBinDCWhat did Stan do to create the problem?

112. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:54 AM

CBinDC said… Hey Ted stopped the hordes from Pittsburgh and Philly ________________________Is that hordes or whores? Tell us how Ted did this? Give us the wisdom so us commoners can be enlightened.

113. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:57 AM

114. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 3:59 AM

Great nights on the Farm for Milone and AJ Cole. Milone with 10 strikeouts in 6 2/3 and 2 earned.AJ Cole 3 hits in 5 innings of 1 run ball with 7 strikeouts

115. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:03 AM

NatsLady said… Grandstander–maybe. But what will end the problem is the Nats going for the playoffs. Period. Get the big draws like Stras, Harper and maybe Wang, put a good–COMPETITIVE–product on the field, you will draw local fans and that will put an end to available seats. August 19, 2011 11:57 PM ______________________________That is the formula. You get the bandwagon fans which is how the Caps did it. The tough thing is Nats Park on average draws more than the Caps in per average game attendance. The difference is Nats Park has twice the capacity of Verizon Center so it really will take something that Washington baseball has never seen, consistent sellouts.

116. flynnie - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:03 AM

Who's ready for a home-town 9th inning rally?

117. Anonymous8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:05 AM

flynnie, sounds long overdue!

118. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:05 AM

You remember the Vet selling out every night throughout the 90s? Winning teams attract the pink hats, bottom line.

119. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Ready!

120. Cwj - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:07 AM

Madson is due for a blown save…Go Nats!

121. flynnie - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:08 AM

I remember RFK having excellent attendance in 2005, when the underdog Nats were in 1st place at the All-Star break. I would rather go to RFK and watch the 2005 Nats, a Dominic's of New York dog in hand (causing my wife to say, for the first time, "You stink of garlic! – a proud and rare moment) than any NatsPark game, with the flashy but slow concessions, the $8 beer and the miserable baseball – until this year. That surprising, underdog 2005 team, 1st in the league at the All-Star break, then clawing back in August toward September games with playoff implications, the Chief's saves memorialized by Charlie's electrifying "Bang, Zoom!" call, that was a team to win the heart. This team is the first to approach the 2005 team as a reason to go to NatsPark, but does not equal the 2005 RFK experience whn you consider expense, convenience, tailgating, and the first half of the season in first place. Since they took over, the Lerners have given us more reasons to stay away than to come to the park.

122. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:08 AM

NO FIRST BALL SWINGING!!!!

123. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:09 AM

Now, there's the way you don't ground out on the first pitch. Go, Jayson. What a battle and Werth won it!

124. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:09 AM

no way Danny. TAKE A PITCH, geez

125. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:10 AM

flynnie, hope the Kardiac Kids answer your Kall.

126. Anonymous - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:11 AM

Ready here too!

127. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:11 AM

flynnie– I give you that RFK was fun. And much better for handicapped. But Nats Park grows on ya.

128. flynnie - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:12 AM

This could be so beautiful, against this opponent, that I dare not speak of it.

129. CBinDC - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:13 AM

A. I am not hating on the Lerners in the LERNERS ARE CHEAP way …..but it should still be noted that total payroll is lower this year from last year ….but I was saying that if you are happy with this situation then it must be money is your only reason ……I have no dispute with the figures given but that was not an issue I was talking about ….AND as far as Ted is concerned he had been the BEST DAMN owner this town has ever had ….in the days he was putting together the team after some really awful years…I got one day a invite with free tickets to not to just one game but 4 games …when I had a issue with the manner and quality a purchase at a concession stand I got a letter say they were sorry and here is a coupon to use at the next game I attended ……with the Nats every email and call I tried to offer feedback and yes complain ….NOTHING SO FAR …..not even a sorry about your experience but one morning in December I did a call from the Nationals a bright voice said hello would you like to talk about your experience and see about some tickets …I said please call back I am in the middle of a very intense personal matter …..one month later the same person called back …referring to the reason I could not talk earlier with a sort of laugh in his voice …..as was a bit put off by that …you see I was honest I wanted to talk to him but the reason I could not that morning was a hour earlier I had a call that my mother had died ….they really have terrible timing

130. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:13 AM

And I give you: Johnny Gomes@@@@@!!!!!****

131. flynnie - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:15 AM

Karma owes Gomes so many beautiful moments, and that was one! Come on Buffalo! What a bunt! Ruiz is just so good. Help me, Jesus!

132. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:16 AM

Back to this walking the bases loaded. Make 'em pay DESI!!!!

133. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:19 AM

So, I just tuned in. Did I miss anything?

134. flynnie - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Oh, God. Desi up w/ the bases loaded for the 2d time in 10 days. The game will find you. Desi-LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STAN KASTEN'S PHILLIE FANS, WELCOME TO NATSPARK!!

135. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:19 AM

OMG, Desi did it!!!!!!!!!!

136. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:19 AM

THANK YOU, DESI!!!

137. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Anyone at the stadium better be screaming their head off, just incredible.

138. Drew8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Way to shut me up Ian Desmond!

139. Cwj - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:19 AM

Yessssss! 4-4. Blown save for Madson I called it :)

140. Anonymous8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:20 AM

Doinks and bleeders. Nice to see the Nats on that side of the luck ledger!!!!

141. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:22 AM

Ankiel, 0-5, 4 KsGuess that hot streak ended.

142. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:23 AM

Rick, sorry. But at least no GIDP. Gives Zimm a chance.

143. Cwj - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:25 AM

Ryan's going to win it….Done :)

144. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:26 AM

I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU.

145. Drew8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Now all the Phillies have bruised testicles!

146. Cwj - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Take that Philly fans!Unbelievable!!!!WOW!!!!

147. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:26 AM

HOLY F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I think I'm tearing up, are you kidding?Walk off grand slam?Seriously?Seriously?Be loud and be proud few Nats fans who braved this game!

148. Andrew - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:27 AM

149. Dan! - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Well. That was pleasant.

150. flynnie - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM

Ooh, that was an ugly at bat by Ankiel. COME ON, ZIMM!GRAAANNNDDDD SLAAAAAM BANNGGG ZOOOMMMM MR WALKOFF!!!! WELCOME RUDE REBARBATAIVES FROMK PHILLY!!!!!!!!

151. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM

All started with Jayson Werth with 11 pitch single

152. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:29 AM

My work here is done.

153. LoveDaNats - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:29 AM

OMG!!!

154. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Um– Coffey wins the game? Good for him! Back of the bullpen did GREAT, don't for get them.

155. Grandstander - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:30 AM

I would like to double down on gonat's point. Jayson Werth had an amazing AB, where he truly was masterful with 2 strikes. Credit where it's due.

156. JaneB - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Say goodnight, phans!!!!!

157. Andrew - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:32 AM

Andrew said… MR. WALKOFF HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!!! That just set the MLB record for consecutive years with a Grand Slam at 6 years. August 20, 2011 12:27 AM _______________________I was too excited writing that. Correction, 6 years in a row with a WALK OFF HR

158. Scooter - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:32 AM

I like baseball very much.

159. Alex - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:33 AM

Just amazing!

160. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:33 AM

And take your skanky girl friends back up I-95 with you!!!!!!!!!!!

161. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Loved how Bo Porter counseled the young guys! Loved the execution.Davey's 1st Nats WALKOFF

162. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:34 AM

And we have a winner for Post-of-the-Day (or is it yesterday):Scooter said…I like baseball very much.

163. Cwj - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:35 AM

Good night all :)

164. Scott from Burke - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:37 AM

That was FANTASTIC..but BACK IT UP…don't be satisfied..don't get rolled tonight..WIN the next game too!

165. Anonymous8 - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:37 AM

Desi thought he had a walk-off single. Game tying, nice!Bullpen did great too. 5 scoreless.

166. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:39 AM

Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me said… And take your skanky girl friends back up I-95 with you!!!!!!!!!!! August 20, 2011 12:33 AM ________________________________Hordes or whores or heffers? I just say Philthie people.

167. CBinDC - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:40 AM

I am still in shock ……..WHAT WAS THAT :) I need sleep now night all must be groundhog day

168. JaneB - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:51 AM

In the car hearing the game recap and Charlie calling that Zimm homer. One the best nights in live baseball for me!And Desi! Jonny! Werth! But Desmon's hit was especially sweet.But the BEST was the pain in the faces of thoze Phillies phans. Batter by batter, they felt the tide turning. GYFNG!

169. Frediemac - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:51 AM

Nats Fans..This is going to be our 1st Hall of Fame Baseball player from this edition of Washington Nationals Baseball…RYAN ZIMMERMAN!!

170. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Whatever he wants, whatever his agent wants, RZimmerman– PAY THE MAN!

171. flynnie - Aug 20, 2011 at 4:59 AM

Fly, little filthy fans, fly, fly, fly to your "City of Brotherly Love" where Stan Kasten invited you here in the first place – one of the least considerate, Mammon-worshipping, ill-considered, gut-punch to local fans ever delivered by the Plutocracy who own our team. What a satisying win, and it couldn't happen to a nicer fan base than the exceptionally rude, formerly loud, entitled louts whose team lost tonight.

172. Gonat - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:01 AM

Wasn't that Zim's 2nd career Walkoff against the Philthies?

173. sjm308 - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:02 AM

as you go to bed tonight, say hello to your third place team in the NL East!!had almost as much fun reading you guys as I did listening to Charlie & Dave – I turned off the TV as it was obviously causing us to lose and look what happens!! Great win

174. NatsLady - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Gonat– I was there to witness RZimm walkoff against the Fillies last year. So at least his 2nd!!

175. Andrew - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Gonat – Yes on July 31st last year off of Brad Lidge.I wonder if Chien-Ming Wang said to Madson he knows how it feels?

176. flynnie - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:07 AM

I was there for his walk-off against the Yankees at RFK, commemorated in a big picture past the Red Porch, and didn't he hit a walk-off to beat the Braves in the first game at NatsPark?

177. Frediemac - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:08 AM

178. flynnie - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:09 AM

FreddieMac – That's better than a 0% paid-off mortgage!

179. baseballswami - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:10 AM

Flynnie – you are truly a poet. And – you did predict that this could be a beautiful thing. It has taken me this long to get my jaw off the floor and breathe normally. What a satisfying win – and worth it that I don't think I will be able to sleep for a while yet – need to get my heart rate back to normal. Ryan Zimmerman is truly a special player. Lots of good pitching, defense and hitting. And against the Filthies. This one will go down as a classic for me. I am hoping that tomorrow I will be able to find Charlie and Dave's call somewhere to listen to. I am so proud of all of you who stuck out the night with all of the nasty people to be there for the glorious ending!

180. Andrew - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:12 AM

Zim's 8th career Walk Off HR. There were a few players with Walk Off HRs in 5 consecutive years including Adam Dunn with the Reds but nobody with 6 consecutive years. Not sure what the record is for total career walk off HRs. I know Pujols has 10 of them.

181. Andrew - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:15 AM

WalkOff HR Career Leaders (Unofficial)Jimmie Foxx……..12Mickey Mantle……12Stan Musial……..12Frank Robinson…..12Babe Ruth……….12Tony Perez………11Dick Allen………10Harold Baines……10Reggie Jackson…..10Mike Schmidt…….10Albert Pujols……10

182. Andrew - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:20 AM

Frediemac said… I can remember the followingZimm Walk Offs2006 Yankees (Fathers day)2006 Marlins July2008 Braves (Opening Nats Park)2010 Phillies (July 31st)2011 Phillies (Tonight)Are there anymore ? August 20, 2011 1:08 AM Zimm Walk Off HRs2006 Yankees (Fathers day) June 182006 Marlins July 4th2007 Marlins May 122008 Braves (Opening Nats Park) March 302009 Marlins Sept 62010 Padres July 62010 Phillies (July 31st)2011 Phillies (Tonight)

183. David - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Just got back from the game and was easily my favorite game this year. I was in section 111 with mostly Philly fans and while they were a little obnoxious they really weren't too bad! It made it all that sweeter when we won.I think Phil Wood said Zim has had 13 walk off hits and 6 of them have been HR's. this is the second time I've been at the park to see him do it.

184. David - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:23 AM

I stand corrected I see there have been 8.

185. SonnyG10 - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:28 AM

I just got back from the game tonight also. I was in the Diamon Club section and it was overrun with Phillie fans also. However, they were not obnoxious at all. I still hated being overrun by them. Be that as it may, what a glorious ending to the game. Well worth the rain delay and great to stick it to the Phillies! GYFNG!!!!!

186. Andrew - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:43 AM

187. Scooter - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:45 AM

Keep it coming, Andrew.Even if you have to make [stuff] up.

188. Frediemac - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Andrew … Thanks for getting my info corrected and updated. Question, were all 8 of those Walk Offs Home Runs? He is truly a special player aka Cal Ripken. Actually I think he's better that's if he can stay healthy he will easily be a HOF one day.

189. Andrew - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Scooter, nah, no fun making stuff up. The truth is just too good!

190. Andrew - Aug 20, 2011 at 5:56 AM

Andrew said… More crazy Zim Walk Off HR trivia. On the May 12 2007 Walk Off HR it was also a Grand Slam and also after midnight and also with 2 outs.Which player scored in both Grand Slams with Zim? Mr. Jesus Flores August 20, 2011 1:43 AM One more similarity, they were both in a tie game situation too.Frediemac, yes those are his walkoff HRs, he has other types of walkoffs too.

191. Scooter - Aug 20, 2011 at 6:25 AM

Ryan Zimmerman once led off an inning with a walkoff groundout.Ryan Zimmerman once turned a walkoff unassisted triple play.

192. Scooter - Aug 20, 2011 at 6:27 AM

Ryan Zimmerman once hit a walkoff foul ball.Ryan Zimmerman says I should walk off to bed.

193. natsfan1a - Aug 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I don't know, I kinda liked this one:Dan! said… Well. That was pleasant. August 20, 2011 12:28 AM But was fun to read all of the posts here after the fact, and great that Flynnie started the ball rolling on the rally. Plus, now I know what "rebarbative" means. Sounds like the game was an instant classic. Sorry that I toddled off to bed at 10 after nodding off on the couch, but glad that I set the DVR first.As someone else said, kudos to the few, the proud Nats fans who waited out the delay and represented. Don't feel bad about the foul ball, JaneB, because my hubby and I also failed on the only chance we had back at RFK. (In fact, I do believe that I ducked. Oof.) A doff of the cap to Livo as well, for his amazing arm of rubber. How many pitches did he throw before, during, and after the rain delay? And RZ, what can I say? Love you, man.NatsLady said… And we have a winner for Post-of-the-Day (or is it yesterday): Scooter said… I like baseball very much. August 20, 2011 12:34 AM

194. Anonymous - Aug 20, 2011 at 11:27 AM

For those of you wanting to hear Charlie Slowes' call, it's in this clip:http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=18217839Fast forward through Bobby Carpenter to the 0:32 mark to hear Charlie. On that replay, be sure to watch the sly look he gives the Nats dugout as he trots down the first base line, and the look of pure joy as he coasts into home in super-slow-motion. Nice work by the camera crew!

195. natsfan1a - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Just watched the bottom of the 9th on my recording of the game. Some priceless phootage of Phillies Phan phaces after the Z-man's walkoff. Also great to see the various player reactions and enthusiasm in the dugout as the rally developed. Before toddling off to bed due to the rain delay and late hour (hey, I was falling asleep on the couch), I'd set the DVR to tape the remainder of the game in segments (as shown on the guide as Nats Xtra, ESPN News, etc.). I think that the 12:00 to 12:30 segment is going to stay on there for a while so I can watch it again and again. :-)Again, good job to those Nats fans who were in attendance and stayed for it all. I know that would have instantly become one of my fave in-person wins had I been there.

196. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:57 PM

sjm308 said… as you go to bed tonight, say hello to your third place team in the NL East!!as pleasant as that is to read, imagine how much nicer it will be when addressed to the Phillies fans… From your first-place Nats.

197. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM

In the meantime, we'll have to make do with pointing out that, by coming down here to watch the Nats beat them, they not only are paying for the privilege of watching that, they are helping to pay Zimmerman for doing it. And hey, cheer louder, it just ticks him off more.

198. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:11 PM

I'm just glad I didn't take those tickets a friend offered us, and instead had an overpriced, poorly prepared dinner at a faux-French place in Arlington. Where I cut my hand on the walkway railing before I even got in the door. And the A/C was too high. And the service was indifferent. Still, the beer was cheaper than at the park. And I was with good friends. And I got home in time to see most of the game. It's all good.

199. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Anonymous said… Damn another series lost to the Philthies August 19, 2011 3:39 PM Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?

200. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 20, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Still, I had a better night than Carlos Ruiz. Ouch.