Aug 19, 2011, 2:07 AM EDT
Updated at 11:38 p.m.
Bryce Harper had to be helped off the field in the eighth inning of Class AA Harrisburg's game tonight at Akron, the Nationals' top prospect after suffering a right hamstring injury that could prematurely end his first professional season.
Harper was advancing from first to third base on a double by teammate Archie Gilbert when he pulled up lame.
Amateur video showed the 18-year-old outfielder being helped off the field by Harrisburg manager Tony Beasley and a team trainer, not putting any weight on his right leg.
The Nationals later announced the injury as a hamstring strain and said Harper would be re-evaluated Friday.
There are only 2 1/2 weeks remaining in the minor-league season, so Harper wouldn't have much time to return to play if the injury is at all serious. A Nationals club official said unless Harper is capable ofRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets