Aug 19, 2011, 2:07 AM EST
Updated at 11:38 p.m.
Bryce Harper had to be helped off the field in the eighth inning of Class AA Harrisburg's game tonight at Akron, the Nationals' top prospect after suffering a right hamstring injury that could prematurely end his first professional season.
Harper was advancing from first to third base on a double by teammate Archie Gilbert when he pulled up lame.
Amateur video showed the 18-year-old outfielder being helped off the field by Harrisburg manager Tony Beasley and a team trainer, not putting any weight on his right leg.
The Nationals later announced the injury as a hamstring strain and said Harper would be re-evaluated Friday.
There are only 2 1/2 weeks remaining in the minor-league season, so Harper wouldn't have much time to return to play if the injury is at all serious. A Nationals club official said unless Harper is capable ofRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers