Aug 19, 2011, 4:59 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jesus Flores gets high-fives after hitting his first home run in more than two years.
As Jesus Flores crossed the plate, pride swelling after clubbing his first big-league home run in more than two years, Jordan Zimmermann stood there waiting to offer some choice words of congratulation.
“About time!” the Nationals pitcher told his batterymate, prompting both guys to start laughing.
If anyone could appreciate what this moment meant for Flores, it was Zimmermann. The two spent the second half of 2009 and the first half of 2010 in virtual isolation together at the Nationals’ spring training complex in Viera, Fla. Each was rehabbing from a major arm injury, Zimmermann’s torn elbow ligament actually less damaging than Flores’ shredded right shoulder.
Zimmermann was back in the big leagues last August, 13 months removed from Tommy John surgery. Flores didn’t make it back until earlier this season, nearly two full years after he first took a foul ball off his shoulder, fracturing the bone.
“Some people had their doubts if he’d ever make it back up here,” Zimmermann said. “He was busting his tail down there in Florida and finally got healthy. He called a great game tonight, and he’s swinging the bat pretty good, too.”
It’s been a long time coming, but Thursday night both players made major contributions to a Nationals victory. Zimmermann gutted
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals sign three to minor league deals with spring invites
- Could baseball return to Montreal? Maybe, possibly
- Nate McLouth called LaRoche before joining Nats
- NatsFest 2014 details announced with new venue
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions