Aug 20, 2011, 12:40 AM EDT
Class AA Harrisburg has placed Bryce Harper on the 7-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring, a move that doesn’t officially end the 18-year-old’s first professional season but almost certainly ensures it.
Harper was examined by a doctor in Harrisburg Friday evening, an examination that confirmed the hamstring strain he suffered Thursday in Akron.
Though the injury is not considered serious, Nationals officials don’t believe there is reason to try and rush him back before the Senators’ season ends on Sept. 5. One team official said Thursday night Harper would be shut down unless he was ready to return in a matter of one or two days.
“I’m not going to worry a whole lot about Bryce Harper down there with a slight pulled hammy,” manager Davey Johnson said prior to Friday night’s game against the Phillies. “It’s the end of the season. He probably won’t play the rest of the year. There’s only a few days
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"