Aug 20, 2011, 12:40 AM EST
Class AA Harrisburg has placed Bryce Harper on the 7-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring, a move that doesn’t officially end the 18-year-old’s first professional season but almost certainly ensures it.
Harper was examined by a doctor in Harrisburg Friday evening, an examination that confirmed the hamstring strain he suffered Thursday in Akron.
Though the injury is not considered serious, Nationals officials don’t believe there is reason to try and rush him back before the Senators’ season ends on Sept. 5. One team official said Thursday night Harper would be shut down unless he was ready to return in a matter of one or two days.
“I’m not going to worry a whole lot about Bryce Harper down there with a slight pulled hammy,” manager Davey Johnson said prior to Friday night’s game against the Phillies. “It’s the end of the season. He probably won’t play the rest of the year. There’s only a few days
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast