Aug 20, 2011, 12:40 AM EDT
Class AA Harrisburg has placed Bryce Harper on the 7-day disabled list with a strained right hamstring, a move that doesn’t officially end the 18-year-old’s first professional season but almost certainly ensures it.
Harper was examined by a doctor in Harrisburg Friday evening, an examination that confirmed the hamstring strain he suffered Thursday in Akron.
Though the injury is not considered serious, Nationals officials don’t believe there is reason to try and rush him back before the Senators’ season ends on Sept. 5. One team official said Thursday night Harper would be shut down unless he was ready to return in a matter of one or two days.
“I’m not going to worry a whole lot about Bryce Harper down there with a slight pulled hammy,” manager Davey Johnson said prior to Friday night’s game against the Phillies. “It’s the end of the season. He probably won’t play the rest of the year. There’s only a few days
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals turn sloppy in loss to Kershaw, L.A.
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win