Aug 20, 2011, 6:38 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman gets a Gatorade shower from Michael Morse.
The game had begun 5 hours and 19 minutes earlier, with far more fans in the stands, an ominous-looking storm hovering over the ballpark and no reason to believe it would ever get to this point.
Yet there stood Ryan Zimmerman, at 12:25 a.m. Saturday, knowing he would be the final batter in what had become a wild bottom of the ninth.
The Nationals had already rallied from two runs down to tie the Phillies. The bases were loaded. The count was full. Ryan Madson glared at him from the mound. The entire marathon night had come down to this singular moment, a moment that would leave mere mortals shaking with trepidation but incredibly leaves Zimmerman in his ultimate comfort zone.
How is that even possible?
“The pressure’s on him, man,” Zimmerman said, referring to the pitcher. “It’s not on me. I’m like 0-for-whatever against him. I’m supposed to get out.”
Zimmerman, of course, didn’t make an out. He didn’t even come close to making an out. He turned on Madson’s 3-2 fastball and sent it sailing toward the left-field bleachers and into the already large
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats cut two more, reducing healthy roster to 27
- Is this a preview of Nats' Opening Day lineup?
- Rendon will begin season on DL with sprained MCL
- Frandsen released, Gwynn Jr. sent to minors
- Johnson, den Dekker adjust quickly to Nats
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee