Aug 20, 2011, 6:38 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman gets a Gatorade shower from Michael Morse.
The game had begun 5 hours and 19 minutes earlier, with far more fans in the stands, an ominous-looking storm hovering over the ballpark and no reason to believe it would ever get to this point.
Yet there stood Ryan Zimmerman, at 12:25 a.m. Saturday, knowing he would be the final batter in what had become a wild bottom of the ninth.
The Nationals had already rallied from two runs down to tie the Phillies. The bases were loaded. The count was full. Ryan Madson glared at him from the mound. The entire marathon night had come down to this singular moment, a moment that would leave mere mortals shaking with trepidation but incredibly leaves Zimmerman in his ultimate comfort zone.
How is that even possible?
“The pressure’s on him, man,” Zimmerman said, referring to the pitcher. “It’s not on me. I’m like 0-for-whatever against him. I’m supposed to get out.”
Zimmerman, of course, didn’t make an out. He didn’t even come close to making an out. He turned on Madson’s 3-2 fastball and sent it sailing toward the left-field bleachers and into the already large
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'