Aug 21, 2011, 11:51 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ryan Zimmerman is congratulated after scoring the winning run in the 10th.
In terms of sheer drama, this hardly stacked up to Ryan Zimmerman’s walk-off grand slam Friday night. Really, walk-off hit-by-pitches don’t make for timeless highlight videos.
“I mean, you can just walk home,” said Zimmerman, who had the honor of doing just that when Brad Lidge drilled Jonny Gomes in the left elbow with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 10th inning late Sunday afternoon. “But, a win’s a win.”
Actually, this was more than just a win for the Nationals. This 5-4, 10-inning victory over the Phillies may well have represented a significant moment for this franchise.
Coupled with Zimmerman’s flashier heroics on Friday, this win ensured a series victory for the Nationals, spoiling the weekend for the tens of thousands of Phillies fans who invaded South Capitol Street. And combined with the results of some previous encounters between the reigning kings of the NL East and the division’s up-and-comers, the Nationals and their fans can at last crow a little bit.
Yes, the Nats have now won five of their last seven meetings against a Philadelphia club that has flat-out owned them over the last four seasons. There may not have been a majority of Nationals fans
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg throws but offers no update
- Harper's career day puts him in elite company in baseball history
- Bryce Harper on curtain call: I didn't want to go up there
- Behind Harper power surge, Nats outlast Marlins
- Harper goes yard for 3 HR's against Marlins
- New Nats veteran reliever reports to minor league affiliate
- Nats' reliever Casey Janssen ready for big step in rehab
- Werth sidelined again with "cranky" shoulder
- Strasburg hopes chiropractor can fix shoulder
- Aaron Barrett joins STL to discuss Nats recent success