Game 125: Phillies at Nats

Aug 21, 2011, 3:11 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Chien-Ming Wang faces Roy Halladay today at Nationals Park.

Good morning from Nationals Park, where another big crowd is expected for today's series finale. I'll tell you what, though: I promise to refrain from making any mentions of all the Phillies fans invading D.C. today … provided it doesn't once again overtake the game itself in newsworthiness.

Despite last night's ugliness, the Nats do have an opportunity to take this series and earn their fifth win in their last seven games against Philadelphia … if they can somehow beat Roy Halladay. For that to happen, they're going to need a quality performance from Chien-Ming Wang, who wasn't as good last time out as he was the time before that in Chicago, but has overall made significant progress since coming off the DL.

Both of today's pitchers would be wise to work at a brisk pace. The forecast calls for only a 10 percent chance of rain until 4 p.m., at which point it goes up to 30 percent, then 60 percent by 5 p.m. A nice, 2 1/2-hour affair would be much appreciated.

Check back for updates…

PHILLIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: MASN, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Late-afternoon storms, 88 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to CF

STARTING LINEUPS
SS Ian Desmond
CF Rick Ankiel
1B Michael Morse

1. Drew8 - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:45 PM

Well, that was pleasant, too.Choke on your bus exhaust, Philistines.Woo hoo!

2. Anonymous - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Burnett and the heart of the Phils order. ruh roh indeed. i can't watch

3. JaneB - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Yo! Unkyd! Virtual fist bump to celebrate Desi!GYFNG!

4. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM

@Sporkler, fair enough. But even if he sort of vultured the win (and there's that worthless statistic again), I can't imagine him just wanting to hand it over to Halladay. Who undoubtedly has at some point in his career benefited from the weirdo definition of a pitcher win, I'm sure.

5. Anonymous - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM

WOW awesome win or lose that was great. Now those idiot phillie fans can sit back down. Especially the one behind home with his hat on backwards and tattoos all over. Is Burnette really coming in???

6. Mick - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Is the strike zone for Utley a match box?

7. Mick - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

If Burnett can get 3rd out, Nats HAVE to end this in 10th

8. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Great pitching by Burnett! A nice surprise, and thank you, whoever invented the "Ryan Howard Right Field Shift."

9. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM

All righty then. The first syllable of Burnett's name does NOT characterize what he did to the Nats' chances. On to the bottom of the 10th. GYFNG!

10. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Nice cover, Sean! OK, any old kind of a run wins it! Walk-off, Beast Mode, and Shut-Them-Up due up.

11. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM

@flynnie, that shift worked wonders last night when Howard hit one into shallow RF. Danny was right there to play the ball, way deep into the grass in RF, and they got Howard out at first. I had the same thought last night as you just expressed.

12. SCNatsFan - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Burnett gets three in a row.Then I look out my window and a dog is sleeping with a cat.It is bizzaro Sunday.

13. Andrew - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Do I need to remind anyone of Zim's history with Lidge?

14. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Zimmie with the double! Winning run standing on second base, nobody out.

15. K.D. - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Way to go Desi and Sean! Let's spread the wealth go Zim, Morse or…..Werth? That would be sweeeeeet!

16. Andrew - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM

OK, not a WalkOff, a nice double. Does Morse know how to bunt? LOL

17. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Burnett was excellent! And thanks to whoever invented the "Ryan Howard Right Field Shift." I don't know why it works (aren't most of his home runs opposite field?) but am glad that it does! If this double posts, something funky is afoot on the site. GO ZIMM! On 2d Nobody Out. OHHHH, dare we even think it????

18. sparked - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM

That guy what wear number 11 is pretty good at this game.

19. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Would a walk-off hit by Werth be poetic justice or what?

20. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Dag! Werth loads the bases with a single. So he simply sets up the winning run rather than knocking it in.Come on, Danny E.! Keep that bat alive!

21. Gonat - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM

I know I am one of the few Werth supporters. Mainly because he is here for 7 years and he is in a Nats uniform. Another clutchie for him.

22. Gonat - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Espinosa was having a great day. He deserved to be a hero here. A shame.

23. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Oh, NATS WIN THE SERIES!!! BAAANNGGGG!!ZOOOOMMMM!!!

24. Andrew - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Gomes took it like a man. A Walk Off HBP!!!!!!

25. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Walk-off HBP! Are there any Phillies phans who have the guts to even continue to wear their T-shirts in Nats Park?Extremely satisfying. Thank you, wild Brad Lidge. Thank you, Jonny Mohawk Gomes for standing there and taking that wild pitch like a man.

26. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

I'll take it. Gomes certainly did. I like this guy.

27. Drew8 - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Mr. Fidget with a walk-off bruise!Sweet!

28. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:03 PM

GAME WINNING HIT BY LIDGE errrr GOMES!!! WAY TO STAND IN THERE, JONNY!!!! NATS MAGIC!!!

29. Mick - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:04 PM

I hope Bixler observed what taking a hit for the team will do. 3 under 500 and now a good opportunity to get over 500 before Nats go on road again.

30. Sunshine_Bobby_Carpenter_Is_Too_Pessimistic_For_Me - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:05 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHA!GO YOU FREAKING NATS GO!!!!!!!!!!!And to all you wonderful Phreaking Phillie Phans…get on outta here, take your skanky girl friends back home with you, try using some Dial soap and mouthwash next time, or better yet, just stay the hell outta here.

31. Gonat - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Drew8 said… Mr. Fidget with a walk-off bruise!Sweet! August 21, 2011 6:02 PM ___________________________He had on elbow armor! Just a white smudge on his armour!

32. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM

@Sunshine, brilliant post. +1 all the way. The last time we have to endure a Philly Phan invasion in 2011.

33. Scott from Burke - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I think this was a bigger win than Friday because (1) they were one strike from losing againsta pitcher that looked strong and (2) THEY WIN THE DAMN SERIES!!!! Nice job boys.

34. Whynat - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:07 PM

FP: Best way to end the philthy infestation, 2 walk-offs!

35. FS - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:07 PM

WOW credit to Desi and Burnett. Ofcourse Zimm as well who started with a double, forced Phillies to walk Morse, let Werth hit. So glad we won it. Four games in September, let's aim to keep eating away at their lead. We won the day Halladay started. How many times that has happened?

36. Gonat - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM

61-64 sounds much better than 60-65. Turning losses into wins is how you get into the pla pla playoffs!

37. baseballswami - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:09 PM

I almost don't believe what I saw from the Kardiac Kids!! And Jayson really did have a hand in both of these wins – way to shut up the f$$%%^^ing Phans!!! They were really loud at Desi's at-bat when he was 3-2. They really thought they had it in the bag. And once again, even though Drew blew it they won anyway!!!I love the battling attitude by batters and pitchers! Ecstatic!!

38. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:09 PM

On another note, why did the Devil Rays ever let Charlie Slowes go? For that matter, why isn't he still doing Wizards games? He and Dave are pure aural gold, and my only fear is that they'll end up replacing John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman doing the Yankees' radio.

39. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Bite your tongue, Flynnie! Charlie and Dave should receive Werth-like contracts to keep them here. They are among the best in baseball right now, possibly the very best.

40. Gonat - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM

For those that question Desi's plan at the plate, he talked in the post-game about his plan against Bastardo.Impressive for the guys that catch so much crap here like Burnett, Desi and Werth. I will say I give Burnett a lot of crap but will also say he came through today.

41. Scott from Burke - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM

The radio guys are fantastic…put them on radio AND tv and get rid of carp and fp…even I would'nt complain about that.

42. JaneB - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM

I know! I am really glad Sean is back to being Sean again. And SO glad Desi and Espi were so instrumental in the wins. As for Gomes, it is ONE thing to hit a ball coming that fast, and a whole 'nother thing to override the brain's survival instinct to get out of the way of it. Incredible. and hilarious post, Sunshine Bobby!What a sweet series.

43. Gonat - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM

baseballswami said… I almost don't believe what I saw from the Kardiac Kids!! ____________________Forgot that, Kardiac Kids did it again!

44. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM

Dave, your game-winning post (Thank you, Jonny Mohawk!)was almost as good as what will be Dave's classic: "Inside IT HIT HIM! THE GAME'S OVER!!!" Two homers, 3 RBI by Espi, a game-saving definition of clutchiness homer by Desi w/two out in the bottom of the 9th, and then Zimm doubles, Werth singles, and then Gomes shall not be moved.

45. josh f - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM

YEAHHHHHHHH – so proud of my Nats right now! Great to see Desi and Espy break out, and I love what Gomes brings to this team. Stay classy, Philadelphia!

46. Anonymous - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:29 PM

2 out of 3 ain't bad. We'll take it!!!

47. Nats Outsider - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM

48. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:32 PM

"Charlie Manuel says that the Nats aren't in first place, but play the Phillies harder than any other team. The Nats got away from that in 2009 and 2010, but this year it's been like 2006, 2007 where these teams were evenly matched and you didn't know what was going to happen."Charlie Slowes"A lot of folks from Philadelphia have come down here, spent some serious money in the area over the last couple days, and have nothing to show for it. It's a lovely thing!"Phil Wood

49. Andrew - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I have a confession in the 9th because I have seen this tent fold before. Drew blows the tie. Flores and Bixler with horibble looking ABs and Desi goes down to 0-2. I know NatsLady likes the odds of W/L. I would say the odds there of winning were 1:1000 and I was ready to smash Davey as to putting Bixler in as his PH instead of Ramos and Desmond saved the day.Burnett did great in the Top of the 10th and with Zim leading off with that double was huge and walking Morse with Werth on deck was the right move by Manuel and Werth foiled it. Espinosa deserved the honors of the walkoff and the Baseball Gods had a different ending.Just another bizarre game and Espi picked up Wang and Desi picked up Storen.BTW, it is a 2 hour to 2 1/2 hour drive back to Geno's in Philthadelphia and it is a long drive after you lose. I should know. I made the loser drive back last Saturday from that Hell Hole after that lousy loss.

50. gonatsgo - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Don't forget to check in on some Phillies blogs tomorrow – should be hilarious. Wouldn't you like to be a fly on the wall on one of those charter buses? I am so happy to get those people out of town!!!

51. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM

Baseballswammi – "Ecstatic!" The perfect word for the perfect ending against the perfect team in front of the perfect crowd!

52. natsfan1a - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:40 PM

Andrew, I'll confess along with you. During Desmond's final AB, I was scrolling around my cable tv media guide, working on setting up some programs to record for my hubby. Trying to distance myself from impending doom by reducing the in-game picture to a little window in the top corner of the screen as I navigated through the guide. Then, what the? A Desi dinger! Woohoo!! I started to kinda sort believe that maybe the Nats could pull this thing off. What a rollercoaster towards the end of this game! I laughed out loud when Gomes was HBP. No offense, dude, I'm really starting to like you, but I couldn't believe how it all ended. Ahhh…might just save that little video tidbit along with Zimm's walkoff from the other night…

53. Andrew - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:42 PM

Nats Outsider said… I have a (surprising) word of thanks to the Phillies fans. Think about it. They collectively spent a lot of money in DC over the last few days. Lots of tax revenue. DC thanks you. And they bring BAD LUCK to the Phillies, who have lost not only this series, but the season series in Washington. The Nats and their fans thank you. Keep it up next year!! We'll take all the games — and all the money — you want to give us. August 21, 2011 6:32 PM While it is poetic justice, I had tickets for today and burned them. I contemplated going and didn't want the hassle. I did enjoy the vision on the TV. I still think if we can rally more fans so we are back in control of the majority of the stadium, this rivalry will be real fun.How's about the idiot directly behind home plate opening up his Phillies jersey standing up in the 1st row shaking his head up and down for the cameras while Bastardo was pitching to Desmond. He probably distracted his pitcher!I wonder how many arrests the police had of Phoolies.

54. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Phil Wood just said that Bud Selig felt that the Lerners owed him something for awarding them the franchise and that was the source of the team-killing frugality. The Lerners, seeing that Selig's slotting system and low payroll wasn't getting them anywhere, walked away from it in the last two years. I don't buy it. CBS sports reported that the hotels wouldn't do business with the Nats because they were so slow paying, scouts were quitting – all because Ted Lerner was triple checking and quibbling with every expense. I'm hoping that has stopped and that what we saw this afternoon and Friday night is the new order of the day.

55. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Andrew and NatsFan1a, confession is good for the soul, and you speak for us all! What a roller-coaster, indeed!

56. LoveDaNats - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM

What a game! Firmly in third place (for now). You guys are awesome!

57. baseballswami - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:47 PM

It's not just the numbers of them, but the reports I am hearing of their behavior. I am aware that they can't go to games in their own park – I am aware that they spend a lot of money. I am sure that they buy their tickets very far ahead, when I haven't even looked at the schedule for the next week. But – I think the organization needs to crack down on behavior issues – if you end up out on the sidewalk maybe you will stop coming or behave nicely. We don't need the hooligan-type behavior in our park. After Desi's HR I saw a nats fan just yelling "GO HOME"! They really don't bring their fans good luck,do they?

58. m20832 - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:49 PM

WAY TO GO GO GOMES!!!! Way to shut those suckinph**kinfilthy phans up!! Two out of three! Gotta Luvit!!On the way back, those loudmouth louts and skanks are prolly saying at least we are in first place. It's so nice to have them come down and fill Nats Park and then lose two out of three! Heh, heh, heh. Hope DC made a Lot of money! We know the Lerners did! Rizzo has some more spending money! YeeHaw!!Now for another first place team to come in. The snakes. Haven't they lost like five on the road?GYFNG!!!!

59. natsfan1a - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Yes, AZ has lost 5 on the road. Would be nice to keep that going, and if we help out the Giants a bit, so much the better as far as I'm concerned.

60. gonatsgo - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:54 PM

I know Jayson Werth has struggled this year. I know he is getting paid a lot of money. But – what in the world is the basis for the hatorade against him by the Philly fans? He helped them win a world series for goodness sake! He didn't reject them or anything. He did a lot of good things for their team, and they are probably better off without him.I just don't get the venom. Even though he doesn't have the sparkling stats from this series, he was instrumental in both wins. The continuing nastiness against him puzzles me.

61. David - Aug 21, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Hey Mick does Desmond still "irritate" you ;).Sorry couldn't help it. I think he is destine to be a utility player but I've been wrong before.They should have played the na na hey hey goodbye song at the end for the Philly fans.

62. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:10 PM

David, good call on the Goodbye song

63. Anonymous - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:12 PM

David – that would have been very cool.

64. Grandstander - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:14 PM

gonatsgoWell, technically he did reject them when he signed with us instead of them. It's totally irrational to hate a guy like that for signing the contract he did, not one of them would have not done that, but in the warped mind of an idiot, that somehow translates into him being a jerk.When Ryan Zimmerman signs for $200 million with the Yankees, I will not boo him.

65. flynnie - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM

We should try HRod as a starter – as soon as Justin Upton comes up to bat. I bet he would "fall as if mortally wounded" (Carpy) with the first pitch, even if it was outside.

66. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM

because, you know, poking a bunch of angry drunken phillies fans with a stick is such a good idea.I'd do it. I really would.

67. Nats Outsider - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:15 PM

My very best wishes to the Phillies as they play the Mets this week. I hope they take out their frustrations (wtg Nats!!!) on their next opponents, and we can solidify our climb to respectability.

68. natsfan1a - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:17 PM

I might, but it would have to be a really looooong stick…and I'd have to have on running shoes.

69. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:21 PM

@Grandstander, will we love Zim when he signs the $200 million contract with the Nats?

70. Waddu eye no - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM

Just left church. Watched gameday on my phone hidden in my music folder. Managed not to jump up and yell amen at the wrong time. AMEN !

71. natsfan1a - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:24 PM

A little light Phillies Phan reading:http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-phillies&tid=102112

72. Andrew - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:25 PM

I re-watched the 10th inning and Ibanez's throw on Jayson Werth's single was so far offline that if Bo Porter sent Zim, he may have scored.How poetic would that have been if Werth got the walk-off hit against his old team?

73. Nats Outsider - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM

Well, if we are going to talk about contracts, isn't Morse an unrestricted free agent in 2012? How many millions is it going to cost to keep him, given the year he's had?

74. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Hey 1a, here's a priceless gem from that Philly forum:Posted by Middle_In:"Wow… a walk off HBP. Now THAT'S an honorable way to win a game… "How's that for typical Philadelphia? Their pitcher loses the game for them, and they blame the Nats for winning it dishonorably.Priceless!

75. natsfan1a - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:30 PM

In other news, Manuel doesn't know how to manage a bullpen or a game and, if he'd only listen to blog commenters, he'd be much more successful. What a coincidence, 'cause it sounds just like NatsTown. Huh. Who knew? ;-)http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=ml-phillies&tid=102337

76. natsfan1a - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:33 PM

I also found a Phillies blog with many colorful game posts, but the comments were kinda, um, blue (and I don't mean that umps wrote them) so I didn't post a link.

77. Nats Insider - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:36 PM

78. Grandstander - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM

DaveI didn't say I'd love him, I said I wouldn't boo him. I obviously very much want the Nats to be aggressive in resigning him but I'm afraid we just won't be able to compete with what some of the other teams are willing to throw at him. But that's then and this is now. Hopefully in that time we can become a contender and he'll want to stay and get himself a ring.Nats OutsiderMorse is under club control until 2014. He is, however, arb eligible next season. So you can expect him to cost a bit more than the $1 million we're paying him now. Whether or not he goes to arb depends on what we offer him. I'd like to see him ink a 5 year deal or something to that effect, as we did with Zim.

79. A DC Wonk - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:41 PM

Mick said… Ian Desmond irritates me…. He is part of the culture of losing here.A bit harsh and/or over-reaction on the criticism there, don't you think?

80. Grandstander - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Nats InsiderI disagree, Bo was right in holding him there. That puts the winning run on 3rd with no one out. If Ibanez makes that throw, it wouldn't even be close, and then you've got 1B and 2B with 1 out. Bases loaded with no one out you've got an almost astronomical winning percentage. Why blow it?Just looked it up. According to FanGraphs, win % was 93.5% after Werth's single.

81. Arlington BigFish - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM

61 & 64. One more win & we can't lose more than 100 !!! ;-)

82. Gonat - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM

A DC Wonk said… Mick said…Ian Desmond irritates me…. He is part of the culture of losing here.A bit harsh and/or over-reaction on the criticism there, don't you think? August 21, 2011 7:41 PM ____________________________Desmond said he has been getting help from Michael Morse and today Michael worked with him on his left hand in his swing. So assist to Michael Morse and the fact he is taking a leadership role.

83. Dave - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:50 PM

84. Grandstander - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:51 PM

For those curious, FanGraphs Win Expectancy for Desmond's homer was 4.4%. When you consider he was down 2 strikes in that AB, that's about as low as it gets.Totally improbable.

85. Andrew - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Nats Insider said… Andrew, it bewilders me why Porter held Zim at third. Even if Ibanez' throw was on target, the Nats would *still* have had a RISP with only one out. I think that would have been a very reasonable risk to take. All's well that ends well, of course. August 21, 2011 7:36 PM It was shallow to Ibanez and keep in mind that Zim got thrown out yesterday plus there were no outs so it was the right move in foresight. Even though it was a bad throw and he probably would have been safe it was right. In the postgame show they had a camera angle that showed how bad the throw was. My only thought was how sweet it would have been for Werth to get the GW RBI as a Walk Off.Always good seeing what the Philthies have to say: http://www.the700level.com/08/21/11/Phils-Lose-Game-Series-on-Brad-Lidge-Wal/landing_phillies.html?blockID=552076&feedID=8510http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/blogs/philthy-stuff/Another-Blown-Save-Another-Loss-128156643.html

86. baseballswami - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Ryan Zimmerman in pinstripes – my worst nightmare! Stop scaring me!

87. Nats Outsider - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Grandstander said, "Morse is under club control until 2014. He is, however, arb eligible next season."Okay, that's good news. I was reading SpotTrac, which says he is UFA next year. http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/washington-nationals/mike-morse/And of course, no one can put anything on the Internet unless it's true, right? ;-)I

88. Grandstander - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM

I don't doubt they will open the coffers for him, I'm just wondering if someone will open them more. Zim wants to be part of a winning club and if he feels this team is not getting there quick enough, I don't doubt he'll jump ship.I used to believe LAC. And I still believe they were. I think Selig and Kasten sold them on the fact they were a small market team. I think Rizzo has been part of their understanding how to spend money as a ball club. I think Rizzo sold them on spending big on the draft because you could hit the lottery.Whether it was wise or not, they've certainly been spending lots since Kasten left. Record amounts on the draft plus Werth. Anyone still espousing that garbage is either trolling or not paying attention.

89. Gonat - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM

Dave said… Grandstander, I will be surprised if the Nats do not open the bank account wide for the Z-man sometime this next year. They have a lot of goodwill they need to recover, and losing the third baseman of the century would be a bad move.In other words, I simply do not believe that "Lerners are cheap" stuff, and I never have. I believe they are building this club the right way. August 21, 2011 7:50 PM _____________________________Can't wait till next year. It has to be soon. I think Ted Lerner smells winning. Hoping the goodwill attracts more fans. Strasburg and Bryce Harper are national names but Zimmerman is a Nationals name.

90. NatsLady - Aug 21, 2011 at 11:59 PM

I know Desi's the hero and all, but I don't get what he was doing just before the rain delay. If you were there you would have seen that the rain was barely minutes away (thunder and lightning all over the place and a few drops already falling), we are down by 1 run and it was not an official game. SLOW the game down, man, Halladay is not coming back after a rain delay and our bullpen is in good shape. Somebody in the dugout should have told ALL our hitters in the bottom of the 5th–SLOW the game down. Take pitches, foul off pitches, lollygag in the on-deck circle, whatever.OTOH, bottom of the ninth, and the Fillies fans are on their feet, loud, really loud. I'm getting that same bad feeling I had last night. Then–Desi's homer and in one beautifully choreographed move they all sat down and shut up. I almost didn't care if we won the game, that instant was unbelievably satisfying!!! But we did win, and in the words of Scooter,"I like baseball very much."

91. natsfan1a - Aug 22, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Thanks for that, Grandstander. Now I don't feel quite so bad about my confession. :-)Grandstander said… For those curious, FanGraphs Win Expectancy for Desmond's homer was 4.4%. When you consider he was down 2 strikes in that AB, that's about as low as it gets. Totally improbable. August 21, 2011 7:51 PM

92. Joe Seamhead - Aug 22, 2011 at 12:04 AM

For all of you "fans" that won't go to a Phillies/Nats game, all I can say is that's too damn bad. I went Friday night and today. Regarding both of them, I had two of the most rewarding games of the many, many games that I've gone to. Silence was Golden, especially today. Ian's homer in the 9th to tie it shut up a very vocal Phillies crown. Jonny Gomes getting HBP was just as effective as a communal shot of thorozine to the lot of them. I'm pretty sure that their ride back up 95 really sucked. Ha!I want to go to any Phillies/Nats game that i possibly can. If nothing else, it's usually great baseball.

93. NatsLady - Aug 22, 2011 at 12:07 AM

For the poster who asked about Gorzy, he apparently had some kind of strain, that's why he didn't stay in. I would have kept Clipp in for the 9th (and I said that at the time so not just in hindsight) since he was plenty rested. I understand the "book" is to put your closer in, but we don't have days off coming up, so I would use the minimum number of pitchers.

94. Grandstander - Aug 22, 2011 at 12:08 AM

Tracked down this Boswell piece on Morse so you don't have to take my word on his contract.http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/nationals-michael-morse-may-be-the-best-bargain-in-baseball/2011/07/21/gIQAuIgcTI_story.htmlThere's also this NI thread. Read through the comments for a trip down memory lane ;)http://www.natsinsider.com/2011/01/slaten-avoids-arbitration.htmlAnd natsfan1a, no need to feel bad. I remarked to the SO as he was approaching the plate, "great, the game is in the hands of Desmond. Just the guy you want!" Dripping with sarcasm of course. Happiest crow I ever ate.

95. Drew8 - Aug 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I thought the Bastardos were the guys boarding the buses.

96. flynnie - Aug 22, 2011 at 12:58 AM

Jimmy Rollins is on the DL with a strained groin he suffered in today's game. As we saw with Zimm, that's not an injury that you just bounce back from good as new. How will the Phillies do in the playoffs without a shortstop? They'd give a lot for Ian Desmond now, but Pat Gillick burned down the farm to bring home the World championship.

97. Anonymous - Aug 22, 2011 at 1:17 AM

Hear the drum beat, Phillies phans. The Nats are coming. Your era is coming to an end. The Era of the Nats is about to begin.

98. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 22, 2011 at 1:20 AM

Well, let them finish above .500 before we start declaring eras. Just sayin.

99. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 22, 2011 at 1:24 AM

On the other hand, the Days of the Strasburg are at hand. So there's that. Which is nice. I really like baseball some days.

100. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 22, 2011 at 1:25 AM

300th!Don't get to say that very often.and the keyword isprops.rightly so, too.

101. Anonymous - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Maxed out at 300 comments?

102. Anonymous - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:53 AM

No, guess not; there was #301, here is #302. We've broken the sound barrier ladies and gentlemen.

103. Sonic - Aug 22, 2011 at 11:02 AM

BOOM!!!

104. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 22, 2011 at 11:48 AM

What a difference a day makes. From whining about the hordes of Philly fans to beaming about a series victory.Thank you Philadelphia for a truly wonderful weekend.

105. m20832 - Aug 22, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Thank you Philadelphia for a truly wonderful weekend. August 22, 2011 7:48 AM Amen!!