Aug 22, 2011, 9:00 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler and Joe Saunders meet tonight in a showdown of left-handers.
On the heels of an impressive series against the Phillies in which they twice rallied to win in walk-off fashion, the Nationals tonight open a four-game series against the NL West-leading Diamondbacks. There was plenty of bad blood between the two teams when they met in Arizona in June, with a flurry of batters plunked and the D'backs side not happy with Wilson Ramos as he took his time rounding the bases on a home run. We'll see if there's any carryover tonight.
Ross Detwiler starts for the Nationals, looking to build off his strong outing five nights ago against the Reds. He'll be up against Springfield, Va., native Joe Saunders, who surely will have family in attendance.
Davey Johnson has stacked his lineup with right-handed hitters, including Brian Bixler in center field and batting second. Ryan Zimmerman, holding down his usual No. 3 spot in the lineup, is riding a 12-for-24 homestand that earned him co-NL Player of the Week honors with San Diego's Nick Hundley.
I'm in Hagerstown for Stephen Strasburg's rehab start tonight, so check that game thread for updates. I'll leave all of you to carry on the conversation here; based on the 300-plus comments on yesterday's game thread, I think I can trust you fine people, right?…
DIAMONDBACKS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Partly cloudy, 79 degrees, Wind 11 mph LF to RF
SS Ian Desmond
CF Brian Bixler
3B Ryan Zimmerman
1B Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- Significant moment No. 10: Roark makes rotation
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series