Aug 23, 2011, 12:19 AM EDT
Updated at 10:55 p.m.
HAGERSTOWN — It can be easy to forget, given everything that’s happened over the last 18 months, that Stephen Strasburg had never spent a day below Class AA before he embarked on his rehab from Tommy John surgery this month.
Strasburg has now started four games against Class A competition, three of them for the Hagerstown Suns. And though he’s accomplished everything he’s needed to in these outings — including Monday night’s three-inning outing against the Hickory Crawdads — he also understands it’s time to move on to a higher caliber of opponent.
“I think it would help me out a lot,” he said. “I’ve never pitched at this level before. This is kind of new. I’m still trying to figure out how these guys are going to approach me. … I’ve really learned how to set guys up. At this level, I don’t really have a chance to set them up, because they’re already swinging.”
Strasburg, for the uninitiated, is hardly the prototypical million-dollar arm with a 10-cent head. He’s as analytical a pitcher as they get, especially for a 23-year-old with only 12 games of big-league experience.
And at this stage of his rehab, now that he’s reached the 60-pitch plateau and established that his arm feels as strong as it ever has,
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 1st place Nationals try to take another in Cincinnati
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game