Game 128: Diamondbacks at Nats

Aug 24, 2011, 7:52 PM EDT

Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Livan Hernandez faces Daniel Hudson tonight at Nationals Park.

Jayson Werth is not in the Nationals' starting lineup tonight after straining his hip and/or groin tracking down a ball in right field last night. Werth didn't believe the injury was anything serious after the game, but Davey Johnson suggested he might take the cautious route and give the veteran a game off to rest.

With Werth out of the lineup, Laynce Nix slides over to right field, with Jonny Gomes starting in left field. The rest of the lineup looks familiar for a Nats squad that has been going with mostly the status quo for a while now.

Livan Hernandez gets the start against fellow right-hander Daniel Hudson. Hudson's name, you'll recall, came up last summer when Mike Rizzo was talking with the White Sox about a deal for Adam Dunn. Hudson wound up going to Arizona in the Edwin Jackson deal, and he's proceeded to post a solid season for the NL West-leading Diamondbacks (12-9, 3.83 ERA).

Updates to come…

DIAMONDBACKS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Partly cloudy, 84 degrees, Wind 11 mph out to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
SS Ian Desmond
CF Rick Ankiel
1B Michael Morse

1. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 24, 2011 at 7:57 PM

I like Gomes and did like what I saw out of Nix until he got hurt.Both these guys fall in the "big bats sitting next to me on the bench" types that Davey likes. They both (but especially Nix) need to step up and show us some consistency at the plate.Right now, Gomes is a type "B" and Nix is unrated as to their status.

2. MicheleS - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Like to make a shout out for Mark's Twitter feed.. I love the humor… Loverro – a San Fran Sky scraper!

3. Navy Nats Fan - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Ehay2k – can we make a slight change in plans? I can't go to the game, so rather than trying to park and meet you at the ticket services window, can you come to the NE corner of the stadium block (corner of 1st and N) and meet by that ticket window? I'll be idling at the curb in a blue hatchback, same time (6:45) is fine, or if you want to adjust the time let me know. If you get this, please respond and that will be the plan. If not, I'll be at the STH window at 6:45.

4. Gonat - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:23 PM

gonatsgo said… Was just reading about bjupton being on waivers. I vote no ( not that I get a vote). Do we really need another light hitting outfielder?(.205, by the way). August 24, 2011 3:45 PM __________________________A 1 year rental that is banged up with a bad shoulder now. He supposedly passed a MRI. If this team is going to move forward, BJ Upton is a bench player and we already have Roger Bernadina. This team needs a serious upgrade at CF who can leadoff.Now Upton this year in 2 games is no sample size to look at with his .143 BA and in cleanup and 3 hole is where he excels. He's not an upgrade there over Morse/Zim or Zim/Morse.

5. A DC Wonk - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Hey all — me and Mrs Wonk (hmm, what was her name again — it wasn't Wonkette, it was something else we coined here, and I can't remember), and a coupla kids/teenagers are going to the game tonight.Anybody else going? Anybody want to meet up just to say "hey"!(And I'm really praying for good-Livo tonight! Please please please!)

6. A DC Wonk - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

(Now I remember — it was when we were going nuts over the letter "H", and I thought I could call my wife "Whonkette")

7. Knoxville Nat - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM

8. Waddu eye no - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Navy Nats Fan said…Ehay2k – can we make a slight change in plans? I can't go to the game, so rather than trying to park and meet you at the ticket services window, can you come to the NE corner of the stadium block (corner of 1st and N) and meet by that ticket window? I'll be idling at the curb in a blue hatchback,We insiders dont need no stinking STUBHUB!GYFNG!

9. natsfan1a - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Go (good), Livo!! Go, NATS!!Won't be there tonight but have fun, DC Wonk!(sjm, was it you who posted a few threads ago about collecting baseball cards? I've been known to pick up a few myself – just for fun, nothing that valuable. Anyhoo, a recent TWIB episode featured Dmitri Young and his collection, which he hopes will end up the the Hall of Fame collection one day. He was sporting a "Meat Hook" t-shirt, too. :-))

10. sunderland - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Waiver postings this time are year are mostly just GM's sending up trial balloons. Usually they are hoping that they can make a trade with the claiming team, and usually that does not happen.

11. A DC Wonk - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:27 PM

sjm308 said… off to the stadium!!OK — so if I drift over to Sec 308 — how do I find him?!natsfan1a said… Go (good), Livo!! Go, NATS!! Won't be there tonight but have fun, DC Wonk!Thanks, 1A! I almost always have fun, but, admittedly, more fun if they win ;-) Also, fun when we bring my teenage kids, just watching them have fun.Weather seems like it'll be perfect. Looking forward to that (unhealthy) sausage-dog with the works. (Hey, I only have them when I go to games!)

12. SonnyG10 - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Knoxville Nat said… Random thought………I've seen instances in the past where a MI is converted into a CF such as Robin Yount for example. In fact when I was in college our baseball coach did just that several times in my four years of school. So my question is, could Lombardozzi be converted at this point to a CF or is he too far along in his career as a second baseman to successfully make the change? I've heard Lombardozzi's arm is not that strong, so I don't think that would be a good idea.

13. DFL - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Yount was a rarity. A bad shoulder prevented him from making that tough throw in the hole so he was switched to center-field. As the face of the franchise, it was imperative to keep him on the squad in some way. He proved a very good center-fielder but generally no longer an All-Star.Neither Desmond nor Lombardozzi is likely to be switched to center. Desmond will make it as a shortstop or utilityman while Lombardozzi will make it at second.

14. A DC Wonk - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:05 PM

Weird stat of the day.I'm not picking on Dunn — but I, like Joe Posnanksi, am simply astounded as his incredible consistency this year.You already know that Adam Dunn is hitting .161 this year. Well, I want to show you something amazing. At least to me.Here is Adam Dunn's batting average split up every 10 games:First 10 games: .162Games 11 to 20: .147Games 21 to 30: .250Games 31 to 40: .205(This included a four-hit game)Games 41 to 50: .114Games 51 to 60: .133Games 61 to 70: .061Games 71 to 80: .103Games 71 to 90: .212Games 91 to 99: .129…I was thinking how unlikely it is for an every day big league hitter — especially a previously good hitter like Uggla or Dunn — to hit THAT low for a season. It has to take almost inconceivable consistency. You can't ever get hot. Ever. And by "hot" I mean even a 10-game stretch of hitting .290 or something.Dunn has been known throughout his career for consistency — after all, he he hit exactly 40 home runs four years in a row and followed that up with back-to-back 38-homer seasons. But this kind of awful consistency … well, hey, it's history folks. And it might never happen again.

15. Unkyd - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:01 PM

Where'd everybody go…? It's almost "Playball!!" time…GYFNGOGOGO!!!!!!!

16. Anonymous - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Some offense tonight, please?

17. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:03 PM

Unkyd — glad somebody is on duty — I was wondering if everyone went to the game!

18. sunderland - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Tonight, HBP-free.GYFNG

19. baseballswami - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM

sunderland – if livo hits you it's ok – his pitches are so slow you can barely feel them.

20. Gonat - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Buster Olney "Major factor in AL playoffs: A scarcity of shutdown LH relievers among NYY,BOS,DET,TEX. Schlereth has best numbers: LH hitters bat .162".__________________________Seems the Nats need to make good LH relievers a priority in 2012 where they can actually get out Lefties.

21. K.D. - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Interesting to see John McDonald (aka Johnny Mac) playing for Gibson/Trammel now. Did the same back in 05' (Tigers) with the roles reversed, Tram was Manager/Gibby a coach.

22. joemktg - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:38 PM

At what point will Ramos start to go the other way with outside pitches?

23. Anonymous8 - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:08 AM

joemktg, did you watch how the 9th inning ended last night?

24. joemktg - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:09 AM

anon8: fast asleep. talk to me: went the other way on an outside pitch?

25. baseballswami - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:09 AM

It would be so nice if we had some offense. Really – the pitchers should not be expected to be perfect. My rant for yesterday and tonight – I have heard a lot of talk about Jordan Zimmermann's "flaws" – for goodness sake, have you seen his era? The team never scores runs for him. Same with Livo – Arizona is a good team, they are going to score runs. Get over blaming the pitcher, who can't possibly pitch a shut out every night, and hit the goshdarn, friggin ball!! Oh, and maybe field your position, too.

26. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:10 AM

This teams hitting is pathetic!A new losing streak. Sad they just can't put anything together. Another losing season here in DC.Oh and Gomes Losers gotta Lose!

27. Analytical Nat - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Maybe one day not so far into the future the Nats will score a run. It's okay to score runs isn't it?

28. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Too many stiffs

29. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:26 AM

To quote FP — "see ball, hit ball"

30. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:27 AM

In the realm of real problems, police have confirmed that a body has been found on a farm belonging to Oriole great Mike Flanagan. No word yet on identity. I sure hope it's not him.

31. baseballswami - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM

18 consecutive scoreless inning. blech. Can someone on our team maybe accidentally run into one and hit it out? Can someone on the other team make a mistake? Surely the law of averages says we will eventually score a run.

32. Analytical Nat - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:31 AM

I'm not sure this team can hit off the tee.

33. Analytical Nat - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:32 AM

This is what I'm most afraid of next season going forward. We can have 5 Strasburgs and still be a .500 team.

34. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Losers gonna Lose

35. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:38 AM

I have a problem with Zimm taking that pitch. Nats hitters look like wimps tonight. Don't know if it is Eckstein or not, but he sucks

36. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM

I am done with Nix and Nats should unload him,

37. gonatsgo - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Well – looks like it's going to be a pretty fast game.

38. K.D. - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:41 AM

Livo has been great, defense so-so, hitting pathetic. Time to rally boys!

39. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:42 AM

so Flynnie – what's up first bourbon or maalox?

40. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:42 AM

why is Bob C sugar coating the Nats sorry hitting?

41. Oldguy - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:44 AM

Nineteen straight scoreless innings. Shame to waster decent pitching.

42. Oldguy - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:44 AM

waste

43. Analytical Nat - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I will say this. The current pitching staff on the twenty-five man roster might be better than we know. Scoring runs takes pressure off the pitchers and the era might be even lower if this team hit say in the middle of the pack of the ML. It's really been an unfair season for the Nats pitching staff.

44. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:45 AM

So Nix makes me look bad after 30 AB?

45. Analytical Nat - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Mick said… So Nix makes me look bad after 30 AB?LOL.

46. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Hit the GDAMN BALL you STIFFS!!!!

47. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM

Gomes looks worthless, only losers take third strike fast balls

48. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:49 AM

Hudson is making these guys look stupid.

49. baseballswami - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM

Old guy — now 20. The pitchers on our staff have eras that are falling as fast as the batting averages.

50. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:54 AM

your a genius Davey, are you saving your bull pen for game 4 tomorrow because you know this game is done?

51. K.D. - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:55 AM

Hudson is good, but our at bats have been tentative to say the least.

52. JaneB - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Hudson is doing a great job. Livo would be scoreless but for bad defense tonight. Good pitching is good pitching.Now for a double play.

53. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:56 AM

I give up with Davey, Henry will walk the next run in or get whacked, just watch.

54. Davey - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:58 AM

What about my a genius?

55. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Told ya!

56. Analytical Nat - Aug 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM

I think the Nats position players get together and conspire against the pitchers. "Yeah, you nothin' without us." "We aint scoring no freakin' runs." "In your face pitchers." LOL.

57. Dave - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Wow. This is looking pretty rough. I was hoping I saw the "cold-bat" game of this series last night, but I guess not. And Henry's throwing the gas (onto the fire).

58. gonatsgo - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:09 AM

Ouch, this is painful. Could this possibly be a let-down after the big weekend? Big crowds and 2 walk-offs — followed by — well, this? O,Henry.

59. What a bunch of pissy whiners tonight - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:10 AM

Actually, Henry did pretty well (for Henry). That was a pretty good pitch he gave up for the single, and he pitched well after that. Leadoff single in the bottom of the 8th, GYFNG!!!!

60. Mick - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:10 AM

OMG, a hit! maybe next, a run!!

61. Drew8 - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:10 AM

At least the plot differs night to night.This time he left Livo in too long and brought in !@#$%^&* to soil the bed.We need Captain Hook.We get Dr. Hook.

62. sunderland - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:10 AM

I'm not sure who was more pissed about Henry coming in, me or Livo. I was plenty pissed, it just seems downright foolish. No chance he could do better there than Livo. Montero already had 1 GBDP. I don't know how DJ thinks.

63. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:10 AM

So – does anybody know what our record is for consecutive scoreless innings?

64. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:12 AM

DESI!!!!

65. Dave - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:17 AM

@9:10, I think that's 21 consecutive goose eggs.

66. jeffwx - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:22 AM

Wait till next yrLombardozDesmondi reddick zimm morse. Werth Laroche espi Ramos. Strasburg zimm Wang lannon peacockWill have to give up Flores and pitching prospect for reddick but he's worth it

67. baseballswami - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:24 AM

It's not like there weren't any hits at all. With 7 hits you would think you could score at least one. sheesh.

68. jeffwx - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM

I've never seen an MLB team that could not hit a sac flyFP for hitting coach

69. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:31 AM

well, Nix and Gomes are trying to make it interesting! hudson gone after back-to-back jacks

70. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Anonymous said… so Flynnie – what's up first bourbon or maalox? August 24, 2011 8:42 PMHello, Anonymous – I was awakened at midnight by my grandson (5) who wanted to watch the replay of tne Nats' 2-0 shutout. It's baseball, and he loves it. When he re-enacts baseball, he runs all around the house. When he reenacts football, he runs a short distance and then lays on the ground. Sorry I haven't been present until now. I'm worried about Flannie. I was dumbfounded as the youngsters gathered around Jonny Gomes, who, with Nix, are the only two Nats to face Daniel Hudson, only to hear Gomes say, "He's got more stuff than the guy who shut you out last night." I love Jonny, but when the Voice of Experience tells the kids they can't hit, they're not going to hit. Don't make negative predictions – they come true. Nix and Gomes have just displayed their hairy chests, but this feels like a game where, once again, the team let Livo down. It ought to be 2-2 and free baseball right now. But how 'bout a 2 out,9th inning rally?

71. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:32 AM

HEY MICK, hurry, say something nasty about Jayson Werth!!!

72. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:34 AM

But first, that bum Wilson Ramos…rats. too slow.captchabling st

73. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:37 AM

I hope D.C. Wonk enjoyed the game. I would have been happy to meet him and the fam had I been at NatsPark. I'm looking forward to his analysis of what a difference Werth would've made. Nix in right missed the cutoff man that helped produce two runs. Gomes' error in left cost a run. Livo was great. Werth's been heating up, and his fielding is excellent, if wall-shy. We'll gem em tomorrow. There had to be a let-down after Philly.

74. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:37 AM

Is it just me, or are we hearing "…past a diving Morse!" more often lately? I'm not criticizing, I'm just asking.

75. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:37 AM

After Justin Upton was intentionally walked, the Nats win chance was 8.1%. After Henry's work, the Nats win chance was 3.9%. Basically, Davey took a low probability of a Nats win to give Henry the opportunity to pitch with runners on base, which heaven knows, Henry needs to learn. Also, Davey is looking at Hudson pitching a complete game shutout… Granted, after the two homers you want to murder Davey, but if the Nats could ever get any runs before the 9th inning–! Whoever it was said it's painful to watch Davey teaching the pitchers is right on the money.

76. jeffwx - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:39 AM

Davy preparing the team for tomorrow by giving up today

77. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:40 AM

78. baseballswami - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:40 AM

Well – the good news is that the scoreless streak is over and Livo can still pitch. The bad news is , well, the whole waiting until the 9th inning with 2 outs routine is kind of getting old.Zim's streak of reaching base is broken, too… and we lost, again. And we kind of can't hit, either. Other than that…..

79. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM

Tyler and Drew will be fresh as daisies tomorrow!

80. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM

@Sofa– Morse is not a great 1st baseman. He's just a lot better than Adam Dunn. He's tall and can stretch out to dig throws out of the dirt. He doesn't make many errors, his head is in the game. But he's no Adam LaRoche.

81. jeffwx - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:45 AM

You're only down two runs. Play one game at a time. Never give up never give in.

82. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM

Mike Flanagan was found dead at his home. The body was his.

83. sunderland - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:49 AM

NatsLady said… @sunderland: Davey thinks Livo already knows how to pitch. He wants Henry to learn how. That's Davey's thinking. As I said a while ago, Davey decides (based on percentages) which games are already lost, and he uses those games for teaching. The other games he tries to win. That is all. *************NatsLady, respectfully of course, I ain't buying this. It's a 2 – 0 game and Davey's not thinking about trying to find high stress chances for Henry. Bringing HRod in with bases loaded was senseless, and it certainly was not primarily a teaching moment (pardon any intensity in the rambling).

84. Gonat - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:50 AM

flynnie, yep, the earlier reports that there was a suspicious death at his home which didn't sound like it was Mike. I would watch an occasional MASN O's game so I saw Mike on there a few times.

85. sunderland - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:51 AM

NatsLady, another point. It's not right to let one pitcher "learn to pitch" with another guys runners on base. And Davey knows this.If Henry put those guys on, and Davey left Henry in, then sure, he's giving a guy a chance to clean up his own mess. But to have Henry come in with 3 of Livo's guys on the bags, no, Davey is not thinking this would be a good teaching moment.

86. Gonat - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM

8:55 p.m. — Brace yourselves, folks. Henry Rodriguez is entering the game with the bases loaded and one out after Livo is pulled in the top of the eighth.______________________That is what told me that Davey either: 1)lost his mind2)would be a genius if Henry got 2 quick outs3)padding those great (LOL) Inherited Run stats4)saving the bullpen as this was mop-upYou can choose what Davey was tonight.

87. Dawn - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM

It's all well and good to give Henry a teachable moment but Livo deserved to win and needs to perform to get a job next year. Just like Davy saying Pudge doesn't need to prove himself, yes he does, if he wants a job next year. The guys understand they probably won't be in the playoffs this year, but they still want to win games.

88. Anonymous - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:55 AM

Very tired of not being able to post using my Google account from my new laptop with Internet Explorer 9. I get "Your current account (email address) does not have access to view this page." Has anyone else had this problem? How do you fix it?

89. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 1:57 AM

I'm tired of Nats "tipping their hats" to the D'back's pitchers. I want to tip my hat to Livo, who wins this game with a normal amount of leather and lumber. I remember Frank Robinson being asked about the Angels pitching in 2005 – "They can be hit. Cy Young could be hit!"

90. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:00 AM

@sunderland: sorry, don't buy it. Nothing stopped Davey from putting Mattheus in. Nothing stopped Davey from putting Coffey in. Nothing stopped Davey from leaving Livo in. (Balester had already warmed, Davey could have put him in.)Davey knew if he put Henry in it was a virtual certainty that it wouldn't be 2-0 when Henry was done. Davey has gradually been putting Henry in in the more high-leverage situations. My money says he'll keep doing it.

91. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:04 AM

@Dawn: Livo and Pudge are known quantities. They have nothing to prove, and not much to learn. Whether they get jobs next year will depend on what other players do, not on what they do.

92. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:05 AM

anon 9:55 — have you tried another browser? I don't have the problem with Chrome, but I do have the problem on my iPhone. When posting from my phone I have to use the name/URL option, and it's a REAL pain.

93. Drew8 - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:08 AM

At Syracuse Tom Milone lowers his ERA to 3.33 and ups his record to 11-6. He now has 149 strikeouts and 14 waks.At Hagerstown, Cole gets hammered, but Keyes hits his 15th homer.

94. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:08 AM

@Anonymous 9:57 I feel your pain. This site is congenial but cumbersome. Maybe use Opera or Firefox as a browser for this site, but that's really asking a lot.

95. JaneB - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:15 AM

At least we weren't shut out. I think Livo should have been allowed to get his own last two outs, after loading the bases with the walk. But I'm not the manager and never will be.

96. Gonat - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:16 AM

SteveM, if you are out there, giving Coco Crisp some love helped. He is 4-4 with 2 HRs against CC Sabathia and the Yankees tonight. WOW

97. Dawn - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:25 AM

98. Anonymous8 - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN, A's beat the Yankees in the 10th inning on Coco Crisp's 3 run HR. He had 5 of the 6 RBIs. He hit HRs from both sides of the plate and was 4 for 4 with 1 walk. Guess that OBP is back over .330 again.

99. Gonat - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Dawn said… NatsLady; Respectfully disagree. Players whether it is their first or twenty-first season have to prove they can still perform. August 24, 2011 10:25 PM ____________________________While I agree with you with respect to players at or near the end of their career (Pudge, Livan, etc), we all know elite players in their prime are on cruise control.

100. Drew8 - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:30 AM

Terrible news — Mike Flanagan found dead on his Baltimore County property.He was 59 with a wife and three daughters.

101. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:33 AM

Rays just beat Detroit, so Manny's team didn't lose any ground. They play a horn there too, seems like.

102. Anonymous8 - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:38 AM

NatsLady, the Indians are below .500 for the first time in a long time. Tigers are losing to good teams, the Indians have just been choking.

103. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Well, Pudge can't do anything right now as far as proving he can still perform. Livo performed just fine tonight. Whether Livo will be on the team, in the bullpen, or in the rotation will depend on what Wang, Detwiler, Peacock, etc., do in September, whether someone gets injured, whether there is a FA signing, and a bunch of other factors.With Livo you know you are getting a .500 pitcher who is a workhorse and won't get injured. I am greatly in favor of Livo returning to the team–at the very least he can be in long-relief, put down bunts as a pinch-hitter and coach the young 'ens. If there is an injury, he can do a spot start or slip into the rotation.

104. NatsLady - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:40 AM

A8– yeah, I know. Had hopes for them, but they were playing above their talent level. Hopes are fading fast.

105. Gonat - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:41 AM

I just learned something I didn't know. 2 teams can put in a waiver claim on a player and the team can negotiate with both however the claim is awarded to the team with the worse record if they decide to the trade.

106. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 2:58 AM

MASN is doing a nice tribute to Flanny. Rick Dempsey is showing great courage as he salutes his friend with eyes full of tears.

107. Steve - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:13 AM

108. Gonat - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:20 AM

This is shocking. From WBAL on Mike Flanagan:Police did not immediately identify the cause of death, but sources confirmed that Flanagan took his own life "despondent over what he considered a false perception from a community he loved of his role in the Oriole's prolonged failure," Sandusky said.Read more: http://www.wbaltv.com/sports/28967968/detail.html#ixzz1W0VHahkP

109. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:21 AM

WBAL TV says Flanny took his own life.

110. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:31 AM

I don't see how anyone can know that Flanny took his own life because he was "despondent" over the Orioles' continued failure. All you can know is that he was in tremendous pain, couldn't see that it would end, and ended it himself. Would this have changed if the O's were leading the league under new management? I don't see how anyone can know this.

111. Anon-a-troll - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:32 AM

@Steve said… Davey Johnson has forgotten more baseball than the collectiveIntelligence of this group, which is considerable, (except for the anon trolls), will ever know. Be patient.With some additional talent – especially in cf and lfAnd some reliable long relief 2012-14 is going to be lots of funFor Nats fans! August 24, 2011 11:13 PM I'm a Anon Troll and thanks for that. Could it be Davey's time like Joe Gibbs has passed him by?His bizarre moves seem to turn into losses and this call for 2 long relievers isn't a top priority when you have no setup man who is reliable that can come in before Clippard.We still dont know his reasoning for many of his moves and we all posters here try to say there is a reason only Davey won't tell us and people give him the benefit of the doubt like you are in respect. How long are we going to buy off on this BS?There is no accountability. He took over a team that was above .500 and did it predominantly without its biggest star Ryan Zimmerman and a bench that was anchored by Matt Stairs and some relievers that are AAA.I'm not panicking because I believe this team will overcome. You brought it up so I wanted to comment like a troll.

112. sjm308 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:48 AM

Hey Group:just back (actually had some other emails to respond to 1st) and saw that DC Wonk was looking for me. We stayed right until the bitter end. You guys don't need my analysis but I did honestly think about LaRoche as that ball went under Morse's glove. Flynnie I did not pick up on Nix's throw but Gomes gaff was obvious. I am wondering if Livan knew he was coming out when told to intentionally walk Hudson. That has to sting. I actually thought bringing in HROD was the right choice. He is certainly someone who can get a strikeout, which is what you need at that point. Obviously, it did not work. Was impressed with Hudson and how quick he works. Was impressed with Zimmerman on several plays and their SS killed us with his play up the middle when we had runners on 2nd and 3rd. Thats all I got and yes Natsfan1a, I have been collecting since my son was born in 1980 and have a decent collection. My first collection, like so many others was thrown out by my mom when I went to college. Mickey Mantle, Willie Mays, Stan Musial, Roberto Clemente (the card actually read Bob) All the beautiful 1955 & 56 Topps cards were gone as well as others of course but those were my favorites. I still get upset at my 87 year old mom and never let her forget (actually we laugh about it but that sounds pretty good huh).My favorite player was Eddie Yost and I have managed to find every one of his cards from a 48 Bowman up to his last year with the Detroit Tigers in 1963. I have now bored 99% of the blog. My apologies.

113. sjm308 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:49 AM

word to post was ankil (close but no cigar)

114. Anonymous8 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:49 AM

Gonat/Flynnie, the Flanny thing gets more bizarre. Today was Cal's 51st birthday. It was also well known how depressed Flanny was off the air about the demise of the Orioles.Not sure why you kill yourself over the stain Angelo$ has brought on the region. He took over a winning team, winning manager, best TV man, and then a sold-out ballpark at OPACY and single-handedly turned it into a perpetual loser that became a locale for visiting teams to be showcased for the visiting fans.I am sure many of us were stuck with the O's as our only regional choice. Flanagan also lamented how the Nats were improving. That had to tick him off too when he bled orange & black. Angelos should be ashamed of himself.

115. sjm308 - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:58 AM

wow anon8 – you are going pretty deep blaming Angelos for another mans depression. I am sure Angelos is upset for the Flanagan family and hopefully not ashamed of what happened tonight. yes, he will not get any votes for owner of the year but where you went with this is not my cup of tea. I worked for 15 years after coaching with emotionally disturbed youth and it was always tough to see the parents trying to take the blame for their kids troubles when it usually was the kid who needed to figure things out. Using your logic, if the O's were playoff contenders and doing well, Flanagan would still be around and I don't think that makes sense. Most people with problems will find enough reasons or make them up if need be. Its just sad enough to have this loss without piling on someone who had nothing to do with it.

116. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:06 AM

sjm309 – glad you had a nice night at the park, stayed all 9 innings, and you nailed another reason for the Nats loss: that heart-breaking Ozzie Smith-like spin-o-rama rally-ending play by the D'Back shortstop with Nats on 2d and 3rd. I hope you get to see MASN's tribute to Flanny – very well-done, but hard – raw affection shows us at our best – Rick Dempsey and Jim Hunter breaking down – even iron-butt Showalter losing his composure. There is a sweetness in Dempsey, who dwelt on the 1983 World Series Championship O's. "How sad it has to end."

117. flynnie - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:16 AM

I don't like Peter Angelos, but it would be fitting to remember that he gave Flanny the front office and unstinting financial support. We would have had to watch replacement players during the MLB strike if it weren't for Peter Angelos, and the strike would have lasted longer. He should get his due for being the one owner who respected labor. He owned the team when Cal saved baseball, brought in Davey to manage some great teams, and Pat Gillick as GM. Unfortunately, he ran them all off, and Jon Miller, too. Why was Flanny so hopeless? No one knows that, which is one of the mysteries of depression

118. Scooter - Aug 25, 2011 at 5:50 AM

I don't know if I could bear to watch the MASN thing on Flanagan, so I'm glad to have your description, flynnie. I'm not sure why this is bothering me so much …sjm308, I enjoyed all of your lengthy post. Thanks. You might like this: one of the (zillions of) memorabilia shops in Cooperstown has a sign reading "We have the baseball cards your mother threw away."

119. natsfan1a - Aug 25, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Just saw the news about Flanagan. Never followed the O's so am not familiar with his background. I can say that I enjoyed his self-deprecating sense of humor during the Nats-O's dual-team broadcasts that I watched.Went to bed right after the Nats/D'backs game and missed the middle innings, so I can't comment on pitching moves or plays in that part of the game. Was glad we weren't shut out, although I'd have preferred a win, of course. Seemed to me that Gomes gave Hudson a look before rounding the bases. Hudson looked pretty bummed when he was pulled.And I enjoyed the post, too, sjm.