Aug 24, 2011, 10:01 PM EDT
Having experienced no setbacks in his bullpen session at Nationals Park this afternoon, Stephen Strasburg has been cleared to pitch Saturday for Class AAA Syracuse in what will be the penultimate start of his minor-league rehab assignment.
Strasburg, who has made four starts for Class A affiliates Hagerstown and Potomac, will make the leap up to Class AAA, facing the Pawtucket Red Sox on Saturday night. He should be allowed to go up to five innings or 75 pitches, whichever comes first.
The right-hander noted after his last outing at Hagerstown that he could benefit from pitching against higher competition after facing nothing but Class A batters who often are overly aggressive at the plate and don’t offer him and opportunity to pitch with a gameplan.
“I think it would help me out a lot,” Strasburg said following a three-inning start Monday night. “I’ve never pitched at this level before. This is kind of new. I’m still trying to figure out how these guys are going to approach me. … I’ve really learned how to set guys up. At this level, I don’t really have a chance to set them up, because they’re already swinging.”
The step up does provide another challenge that has nothing to do with the act of pitching. Because National League affiliates don’t
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins
- Hip surgery for Span, but Taylor's knee OK
- Game Thread: Nationals open series vs. Marlins
- Desperate Nationals recall OF from AAA Syracuse
- MLB Power Rankings: More movement in AL East
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury