Aug 24, 2011, 1:50 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Alex Meyer meets fellow draft picks Anthony Rendon and Brian Goodwin.
The Nationals introduced their top three draft picks this evening shortly before the start of the game. Third baseman Anthony Rendon, right-hander Alex Meyer and outfielder Brian Goodwin all donned their Nationals jerseys (Rendon wearing No. 23, Meyer No. 17 and Goodwin No. 24).
Scott Boras, who serves as agent for all three players, also appeared and had perhaps the best line of the press conference, as you'll read below.
Here are some of the highlights…
"I first want to thank Mark [Lerner]. I told Mark, being from California, to come here and the hospitality we receive here by having an earthquake to make us feel at home … I don't know how the Lerners do it. They go out of their way."
On a possible position switch if Ryan Zimmerman remains at third base: "Yeah, I'm always willing to make a position switch. I just want to be in the lineup, to get the opportunity. But my position here is toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins