Aug 24, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth has quietly gotten hot over the last month.
Jayson Werth may or may not be in the Nationals' lineup tonight after straining his hip/groin area while tracking down a ball in right field during last night's game. The injury isn't considered serious, and even if he doesn't play, Werth figures to be back in action within a day or two.
Here's something you probably hadn't been thinking to yourself, though: Right now, the Nationals really need Werth in their lineup as much as possible.
I know, that would have sounded like a ludicrous statement not long ago. But it's true. Look at the numbers.
Remember when Werth's season seemed to be spiraling out of control, with no hope of being salvaged? That was back on July 18, when his batting average had plummeted to .211, his OPS to a paltry .669.
Well, in 30 games since then, Werth is hitting .295 with a .500 slugging percentage and .878 OPS. In other words, pretty much exactly what the Nationals figured he'd do for the entire season.
This one-month surge hasn't entirely salvaged what will forever be remembered as a colossally disappointing debut year for the $126 million right fielder. But it has at least eased some fears aboutRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB postseason begin tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day
- Zimmermann earns no-hitter through team effort (VIDEO)
- Perfect storm for Zimmermann to make magic