Aug 24, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth has quietly gotten hot over the last month.
Jayson Werth may or may not be in the Nationals' lineup tonight after straining his hip/groin area while tracking down a ball in right field during last night's game. The injury isn't considered serious, and even if he doesn't play, Werth figures to be back in action within a day or two.
Here's something you probably hadn't been thinking to yourself, though: Right now, the Nationals really need Werth in their lineup as much as possible.
I know, that would have sounded like a ludicrous statement not long ago. But it's true. Look at the numbers.
Remember when Werth's season seemed to be spiraling out of control, with no hope of being salvaged? That was back on July 18, when his batting average had plummeted to .211, his OPS to a paltry .669.
Well, in 30 games since then, Werth is hitting .295 with a .500 slugging percentage and .878 OPS. In other words, pretty much exactly what the Nationals figured he'd do for the entire season.
This one-month surge hasn't entirely salvaged what will forever be remembered as a colossally disappointing debut year for the $126 million right fielder. But it has at least eased some fears aboutRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge