Aug 27, 2011, 7:34 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler faces Mike Leake tonight at Great American Ball Park.
It's been more than five years since the Nationals made Chris Marrero the 15th overall pick in the country. Tonight, the now-23-year-old first baseman will make his major-league debut at last, recalled from Class AAA Syracuse to take the roster spot that opened when Ryan Mattheus (shoulder) went on the 15-day DL.
Marrero, who hit .300 with 14 homers, 69 RBI and an .825 OPS at Syracuse, will be in the Nats' lineup tonight, batting seventh. That means Michael Morse moves back to left field for the first time since June 29. Look for Morse to get plenty of playing time out there through the rest of the season, because the Nats plan for him to open 2012 in left field with Adam LaRoche (or possibly Marrero) at first base.
The other domino effect of Marrero's arrival is that Jayson Werth will start in center field tonight for the first time this season, with Laynce Nix in right field. Ross Detwiler is on the mound, looking to continue his recent upward trend. He'll be opposed by right-hander Mike Leake, whom the Nats roughed up for six runs at Nationals Park 11 days ago.
As you know, I'm not on this road trip. Back here in D.C., hunkered down for the storm and taking care of Mrs. Z and soon-to-be Baby Z. Enjoy the game, and please stay safe everyone!…
NATIONALS at REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m.
TV: MASN, MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Sunny, 82 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to CF
SS Ian Desmond
CF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers