Aug 27, 2011, 7:34 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ross Detwiler faces Mike Leake tonight at Great American Ball Park.
It's been more than five years since the Nationals made Chris Marrero the 15th overall pick in the country. Tonight, the now-23-year-old first baseman will make his major-league debut at last, recalled from Class AAA Syracuse to take the roster spot that opened when Ryan Mattheus (shoulder) went on the 15-day DL.
Marrero, who hit .300 with 14 homers, 69 RBI and an .825 OPS at Syracuse, will be in the Nats' lineup tonight, batting seventh. That means Michael Morse moves back to left field for the first time since June 29. Look for Morse to get plenty of playing time out there through the rest of the season, because the Nats plan for him to open 2012 in left field with Adam LaRoche (or possibly Marrero) at first base.
The other domino effect of Marrero's arrival is that Jayson Werth will start in center field tonight for the first time this season, with Laynce Nix in right field. Ross Detwiler is on the mound, looking to continue his recent upward trend. He'll be opposed by right-hander Mike Leake, whom the Nats roughed up for six runs at Nationals Park 11 days ago.
As you know, I'm not on this road trip. Back here in D.C., hunkered down for the storm and taking care of Mrs. Z and soon-to-be Baby Z. Enjoy the game, and please stay safe everyone!…
NATIONALS at REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 7:10 p.m.
TV: MASN, MASN2
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Sunny, 82 degrees, Wind 10 mph out to CF
SS Ian Desmond
CF Jayson Werth
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera