Game 132: Nats at Reds

Aug 28, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT

File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats need to win today to avoid a sweep at Great American Ball Park.

No matter what happens today, Jordan Zimmermann has enjoyed a highly successful season. Fully recovered after Tommy John surgery in 2009, he not only stayed healthy the entire year, he pitched like a true front-line starter. It sure would be nice, though, if the right-hander could end 2011 on a high note today, when he surpasses the 160-inning limit and is shut down for the winter.

Zimmermann and the Nationals do face a daunting challenge in their series finale against the Reds. Not only is Johnny Cueto on the mound for Cincinnati, but the Nats are going to be without Ryan Zimmerman (given a rare day off to deal with some wear and tear).

Alex Cora will be at third base in Zimmerman's place. Meanwhile, Chris Marrero (after a shaky debut last night) is on the bench, with Laynce Nix at first base and Michael Morse staying in left field.

Enjoy the game and what should be a nice, sunny Sunday now that Irene has passed through…

NATIONALS at REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Sunny, 77 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to CF

STARTING LINEUPS
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
CF Rick Ankiel
LF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. Section 222 - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM

I've always wondered: If the caveman gave Zim the chance to explain, what would Zim have said? Only thing I can think of is: "They paid me to do this commericial and it's GEICO's slogan so I had no choice." (Trying to distract myself from the terror of HRod pitching a second innning.)

2. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM

The WRONG pitcher is on the mound at this moment. This is just a train wreck.

3. Anonymous8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Danny Espinosa with a line drive in his glove for a double play…only he dropped it. That was good luck that Phillips was running otherwise that was a single up the middle with Phillips going 1st to 3rd….

4. dryw - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Sec3, seriously, you don't think HRod is scary enough without facial hair?? 100 mph and no clue where it's going to go would scare me PLENTY!! :-) (With that said, GO HROD!!!!! GYFNG!!!!)

5. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:40 PM

O, Henry!

6. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:41 PM

I repeat, anon, you were saying????????????O, ye of little faith in Henry.

7. Section 222 - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I've always wondered, if the Caveman had given Zim a chance to explain what would he have said? All I can think of is: "They are paying me to do this commercial, and it's GEICO's slogan, so I had no choice. Sorry big guy." It's really a shame that so few people watch the games because MASN really needs to sell some more commercials. 877-241-LUNA, Never never never just as good, flashmob fail, oy.

8. Section 222 - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Sorry for the doublepost — we're over 200 comments and I couldn't see the first one! That's what extra innings will do to ya.

9. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:45 PM

OK, so Henry will not win the batting crown.

10. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Brian Bixler? Where did that come from?

11. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Come on, Des, need a base hit! This guy's gotta be tired.

12. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:48 PM

No, Des. It's not a sac fly if there are two outs. Not enough.

13. Anonymous8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:49 PM

The Nats needed that swing from Desmond when they had bases loaded 1 out. Unreal.

14. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Lady, you know it doesn't care about the baseball game, it just says anything to get attention. Probably the same person who dissed Flannigan the other day. Ignoring them is the only thing that works. Really. You're just keeping it around.

15. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Sofa, I know. I'm just proud of Henry.

16. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Looks like the sun is getting into everybody's eyes…

17. JaneB - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

I'm glad Jesus is back to being Jesus! And goodbye Dusty.Whatever happens, I love dem Nats.

18. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

We have 15 hits, 4 runs. Really?

19. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Jesus' toss gets Dusty tossed! And the runner was out – it was a good call.

20. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:57 PM

he might have gotten a shoelace with that tag. Just sayin.

21. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:00 PM

OK, here's a stat to go look up: What's the record for most players ejected in a game with no fights? Not counting times the whole bench got tossed en masse.

22. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Hate to go into the work week with laundry not done… might happen, though. Priorities. Checking inventory, yup, can last through a few days if I hand wash a few items…

23. MikeD - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Joe West and his crew are humps…All they care about is getting to the buffet.

24. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:01 PM

What pitching do we have left?

25. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Charlie and Dave said that Stubbs' spikes stuck short of the base and the tag after the pop-up slide was what got him out because he hadn't touched the base.

26. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Ballestar, then Lannan.

27. baseballswami - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

I really have to get some things done before tomorrow……

28. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM

Charlie and Dave speculate it might be Lannan. All relievers are used. Lannan scheduled for Wednesday.

29. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Flynnie, the throw beat him cleanly. Bixler's glove caught in his spikes.Sorry, Charlie [and Dave].

30. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Nats 4 for 19 RISP. 16 left on for Nats. 13 left on for the Reds.

31. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Oh, wait—you said Stubbs. Nevermind. From the replay, it looked like Desmond's glove swiped near the top of Stubbs' shoe as he slid in. If the tag got him there, it was a good call, but it couldn't have touched him much. I'm sure he believes he was never tagged.

32. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM

DESI, with ANOTHER STAR PLAY!

33. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM

34. Mick - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM

Nothing will change next year except we lose a record number of 1-0 and maybe 2-1 games. This team reminds me of the 1970-71 Senators who had one of the top three pitchers in MLB back then in Dick Bosman who went 16-12 in 71. Poor Boz lost 8 one run game that year, five of them 1-0! When we do hit, are pitching falls a part, when the scrubs on the the team hit them Morse disappears. Same old cycle of losing baseball. Desmond is just a joke and a future head case.

35. Chris C. - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I think it's near time to see Rick Ankiel take the bump. Come on and fight those demons rick. Just pretend you are throwing from the outfield!

36. Joe Seamhead - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Way to go Chris! Good job Balystar, And Bix…nuts.BTW, Anon5:37, you're luckier than me. I guess you know why?

37. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Well, I learned an interesting thing watching Fangraphs.It's now 50-50 (at the beginning of each inning when the game is tied after nine). At the beginning of the bottom, it's 64-36 for the home team. So three outs gives you 14% extra chance to win. Did that make sense? ———————Not with the Nationals it doesn't

38. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM

Grim Reaper is calling peeps he's here to collect more L's

39. Mick - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM

This sorry wimpy hitting club now reminds me of the 1971 Nats who had one of the best five pitchers in all of baseball in Dick Bosman. Poor Bos was 16-12 in 1971, he lost 8 run games, five of which were 1-0 that we went all nine innings.

40. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Time for laundry…

41. JaneB - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Shoot. Okay. Day off. Regroup. Marrero did okay. Better than yesterday. Glad Davey stood up to protect our guys. Ummmm…what else? Ian hit pretty well. I liked it better when we were winning.

42. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Another missed call by the ump. Votto should have been struck out, turns into a Walkoff. Where have we seen this before?

43. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Well our Losers Lost again…so what's that say? Losers gotta Lose. They will find a way. YEP! Check and Check

44. JaneB - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Ps…voted for you Natslady

45. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM

JaneB–thanks!

46. baseballswami - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:34 PM

It is just not believable to me that we could get 17 hits and only score 4 runs. That just shouldn't even be possible. Now – Atlanta and Jurrgens. arrggggh.

47. Mick - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:37 PM

Hey Joe West, nobody goes to the park to watch your fat no account ass call a lousy game

48. Joe Seamhead - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I've watched a lot of baseball in my near 60 years. That throw by Ankiel was about as good as I've ever seen.The poor umpiring in this game had way too much to do with the outcome, though we left way too many guys on base again, and the HR off of Storen was just brutal. Other then that, the pen did a great job, except Joey Votto got an extra strike at the end that we couldn't overcome.

49. gonatsgo - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:45 PM

You know I really can't fault the pitchers for giving up 5 runs in fourteen innings. That is really not terrible.The risp disease, though, that's terrible. And the umpiring — any time you have 3 coaches tossed in a tight game there is something wrong.And none of them really pitched any kind of pinella -fit.

50. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:48 PM

Heading for the basement in the NL East!

51. Drew8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:51 PM

A bit of good news. Sammy Solis wins his 5th for Potomac lowering his ERA to 2.92.The bad news: Asheville completely Irenes Hagerstown again. Suns lefty Matt Grace allows 14 hits and 11 earned runs in four innings.As Paul Newman said of the Asheville Tourists:Who are those guys?

52. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM

53. Golfersal - Aug 28, 2011 at 10:55 PM

All I can say is ugly, ugly and more ugliest.This is about our third bad stretch this year were you just knew the Nats would figure out a way to lose.Watch Johnny Holliday and Ray Knight, gosh that must be the hardest job in the world of painting a bright picture on something that is so gloomy.Nats will never be any good with guys that can't come up with the key hit at the key time. Morse and Zimmerman are proven, feel that Werth is that way but we need more from the Desmonds, Espinsoa and other outfieldersAnybody know if the Nats are leading the league in leaving runners on base. Seems that the leave eight to ten batters per game, this makes the Nats unwatchable.Sorry but I hate this kind of baseball and it's got to get fixed.Oh, one sad not it's goodbye to Jordan Zimmerman who again ptiched great but got very little run support. Rest up Zim, you will have a great 2012.

54. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM

62-70. So if the Nats win the remaining 30 games, they finish 92-70!

55. FS - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:03 PM

ugh, we have sucked past six games. anyways, bol wherever we headed next.

56. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Haven't read through all of the comments but did watch the whole game (and what a game it was). Wish that the Nats could have pulled it off and ridden a happy plane/train/whatever to Atlanta, but they don't get the last at-bat on the road.I liked FP's musing the the line of succession after managerial oustings. Kinda makes it hard to pin the managerial blame, too, I would think (not that I'm inclined to do so, 'cause they don't throw the ball or swing the bat).

57. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:09 PM

I'm with you, flynnie. :-)I thought our relief corps did pretty well overall. Going into his inning, I had trepidation that Drew might give up a dinger. That's such a bandbox and he's been known to do so on occasion. So that didn't come as a shock. Wish they'd been able to tack on another run before he got the ball, but both the Reds and the Nats were stranding guys.flynnie said… I couldn't watch until the end – had to dulcify the grandkids with Winnie the Pooh and such, while quietly listening to C & D. I never thought the Nats would go into the bottom of the 9th with the lead against Cueto. Storen gives up fly balls that would be home runs in the Smallpark. HRod held in a way that certainly satisfies the thrill-seekers among us. Balestar struck out Votto, but the ump blew the call, and Votto won the game on strike four. I hereby declare moral victory! August 28, 2011 6:53 PM

58. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM

Anonymous said…We have 15 hits, 4 runs. Really?This one made me think. On a really raw look at the stats, for every 2 hits a team gets they score a run (even the Nats, 1056 hits, 500 runs). Might look at this some more later. Bochy just got tossed on arguing a dumb call in SF (his guy was safe at 2nd but called out).

59. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:11 PM

No one I'd rather have with me than you, Natsfan1a!

60. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:12 PM

1A, didn't have FP on, what is the managerial line of succession?

61. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:28 PM

NL, he was drawing a parallel with the presidential line of succession. If memory serves, Corrales was VP, Porter Speaker of the House, Jewett President Pro Tempore of the Senate, and McCatty Secretary of State. Was fun to watch skipper Porter in the dugout with his helmet on. Dude has so much energy and intensity.Also, sec3 is right re. the troll. Probably the same one that tries to stir things up on other Nats blogs. Has gotten banned over on the Journal and MASN at times, I believe, so this might be a last refuge of sorts.Sec3, could I help with 86ing Joe West from the bar? I already have my lines down, to be delivered with my best Sheldon Leonard impression: "Out you go. Through the door or out the window."

62. Dave - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:33 PM

I had to miss pretty much the entire game after the fourth inning today. Had other things to do.I must say, though, from what I've heard and read here, that Joe West needs to go ahead and retire. Then he can play all the open-mike nights at country music bars that he wants, and he really will be the center of attention.Flynnie, keep a good thought! 30-0 the rest of the way? Sure, why not!

63. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Maybe he could tour clubs like those where the Blues Brothers had gigs in the movie. You know, where there's a cage around the stage? Yeah, that would be good… :-D

64. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Also, Burnett and Clippard were too funny with the rally caps and eye black. Too bad it didn't work out.

65. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 11:57 PM

Yeah, this place looks about right for Country Joe:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5N35kQAPv0

66. dryw - Aug 29, 2011 at 12:05 AM

Flynnie, I think I love you. 30-0 to close out the season sounds like just the ticket!

67. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 29, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Hey Mike Rizzo…. That Joey Votto guy….. we got to get us one of those.

68. Anonymous - Aug 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Hey Mike Rizzo…. That Joey Votto guy….. we got to get us one of those.We have one. His name is Ryan Zimmerman.

69. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 29, 2011 at 12:05 PM

70. NatsLady - Aug 29, 2011 at 12:20 PM

NatsJack in Florida said…I like Z-Man….think he's a solid player…. how many MVP's does he have and can he hit left handed?OK, he doesn't hit lefy-handed. But he'll get his MVP and the Nats'll get to the playoffs, no question.

71. NatsJack in Florida - Aug 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I agree that Ryan will eventually get the recognition he deserves. It's just that Votto has been raking for 2 seasons straight now. That pitch he hit off Jordan in the second inning was a good slider in on his knees and he roped it. If we can't get one of those, then I'd see what it would take to convert Dontrelle Willis to a left fielder. There's another lefthanded bat that can rake.

72. ehay2k - Aug 29, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Awful game – Zimnn left in too long (same old story), 15 runners stranded, sloppy play infiendl and outfield (and I forgive the errors by Marrero, and am once again thankful for Ankiel's arm.) Can we fire the demonstrably ineffective hitting coach already? I'm sure he's a great guy, but a year's worth of the entire team, sav for RZ, not having a plan at the plate is just too much. Blame the players for not executing all you want, the coach's JOB is to get them to execute. One or two young guys not getting it done is OK, but not the whole damn team.I do not want to see first pitch swings against new pitchers, or lack of survival hacks on 2-strike pitches (DO YOU HEAR ME JASON?) this late in the season. Learn to be a pro, or go play in the monors where you belong.Disgusting. This is the most frustrating season ever for me (ST holder since 06) because they have the MOST talent, but appear to have the least discipline. I miss Riggleman and the ball they played under him.