Aug 28, 2011, 3:31 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats need to win today to avoid a sweep at Great American Ball Park.
No matter what happens today, Jordan Zimmermann has enjoyed a highly successful season. Fully recovered after Tommy John surgery in 2009, he not only stayed healthy the entire year, he pitched like a true front-line starter. It sure would be nice, though, if the right-hander could end 2011 on a high note today, when he surpasses the 160-inning limit and is shut down for the winter.
Zimmermann and the Nationals do face a daunting challenge in their series finale against the Reds. Not only is Johnny Cueto on the mound for Cincinnati, but the Nats are going to be without Ryan Zimmerman (given a rare day off to deal with some wear and tear).
Alex Cora will be at third base in Zimmerman's place. Meanwhile, Chris Marrero (after a shaky debut last night) is on the bench, with Laynce Nix at first base and Michael Morse staying in left field.
Enjoy the game and what should be a nice, sunny Sunday now that Irene has passed through…
NATIONALS at REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Sunny, 77 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to CF
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
CF Rick Ankiel
LF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return
- Nats Game Thread: No rest for Desmond
- Nationals recall Barrett, send Cedeno to AAA
- Clippard: "No one is going to feel sorry for me" (VIDEO)
- Desmond, Clippard unravel in eighth inning of Nats' loss
- Williams shows faith in Clippard despite struggles
- Trout talk: How good is he? (VIDEO)