Game 132: Nats at Reds

Aug 28, 2011, 3:31 PM EST

File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats need to win today to avoid a sweep at Great American Ball Park.

No matter what happens today, Jordan Zimmermann has enjoyed a highly successful season. Fully recovered after Tommy John surgery in 2009, he not only stayed healthy the entire year, he pitched like a true front-line starter. It sure would be nice, though, if the right-hander could end 2011 on a high note today, when he surpasses the 160-inning limit and is shut down for the winter.

Zimmermann and the Nationals do face a daunting challenge in their series finale against the Reds. Not only is Johnny Cueto on the mound for Cincinnati, but the Nats are going to be without Ryan Zimmerman (given a rare day off to deal with some wear and tear).

Alex Cora will be at third base in Zimmerman's place. Meanwhile, Chris Marrero (after a shaky debut last night) is on the bench, with Laynce Nix at first base and Michael Morse staying in left field.

Enjoy the game and what should be a nice, sunny Sunday now that Irene has passed through…

NATIONALS at REDS
Where: Great American Ball Park
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Sunny, 77 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to CF

STARTING LINEUPS
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
CF Rick Ankiel
LF Michael Morse

Read more ยป

1. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM

With a day off tomorrow, this is a must win. If Jordan Zimmermann can get through 6 with a lead, turn it over to Clippard and Storen!!!

2. JayB - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM

"Chris Marrero (after a shaky debut last night)" should not be on the Bench. He needs to play every day for the rest of the way in my view. I think he sucks and always will…he is slow, clumsy and my guess is not too bright but now is the only time this team will ever have the chance to find out I am wrong. Jimbo liked him…so….that is not good…..but let's find out now so we can move him off the 40 man roster this winter without any worry he never got a shot.

3. N. Cognito - Aug 28, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I just have one favor of posters here. Will those of you with mind reading abilities (Morse being angry he was moved to LF, etc.) please try to focus your mental abilities on the future. I'd like to know the outcome of the game early so I can decide whether or not to watch it.No need to provide manager predictions – I already know that anything that goes bad or doesn't work is Davy's fault.Thank you.

4. NatsLady the StatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM

N. Cog– Nats 31% chance to win. You might want to watch. Might not want to watch the Cubs game if you are rooting for them, they only have a 19% chance to beat Milwaukee.http://www.thespread.com/mlb-baseball-public-betting-chart

5. N. Cognito - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM

"N. Cog– Nats 31% chance to win."I want details.Anybody that can come on here and tell us what players and managers are thinking should be able to do that.

6. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I think NatsLady may be missing N. Cognita's sarcasm directed at holier-than-thou fellow posters…

7. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Just got power and phone services back on and this was my first online stop. (And my compliments to Dominion Power. Seriously.)Go, Z-nn! Go, NATS!! Let's avoid a you-know-what and have a happy flight/ride to Atlanta.

8. Stranded_in_Philly - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:17 PM

While I may not agree with everything JayB said, I am surprised not to see Marerro not in the starting lineup. Seeing how he bounces back would be useful information, and with Nix struggling through the second half (and not being a first basemen by trade), might as well keep him out there and see what happens.

9. Stranded_in_Philly - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Whoops, inadvertent double negative in their. Apologies to the grammar hounds.

10. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:18 PM

11. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Welcome back, 1A. I also wonder why Marrero is not playing, since presumably that is why we brought him up. Maybe "Davey" doesn't want a sweep?

12. Grammar Hound - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Stranded in Philly– correction: in there.Recommend you don't even try–we all make typos and grammar mistakes in this forum.

13. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Thanks, NatsLady. Also curious re. Marrero not playing. He did have a shaky night defensively, but as others note the team needs to see what he'll do up here. Might matchup histories vs. Cueto be a factor for some of the starters?

14. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM

1A, I dunno. Sample size is kind of small. Niether Morse or Nix has an AB against him. http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_28_wasmlb_cinmlb_1&mode=preview&c_id=was

15. NatsLady the StatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM

Also, I have a favor to ask of the group. Fangraphs is looking for writers. I applied. Would love if you think I'm qualified for you to send recommendations. Or, apply yourself, if you would like!http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/want-to-write-for-fangraphs-2/

16. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Small sample size etc. but looks like Ankiel has had success against him.

17. Whynat - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Re: Marrero. Davey said in some interview I heard this week he would play alot, but likely sit out against tough righties.

18. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Also RZ but he's sitting today.

19. natsfan1a - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Thanks, whynat.

20. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Is NatsLady the StatsLady the same person as NatsLady?

21. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Yes.–NatsLady the StatsLady

22. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:07 PM

NatsLady said… Anon 12:14: Nope, sarcasm not missed. Just giving back as good as I get because I was one of those who posted about Mike Morse and 1B, and also long post about Desi and his strengths/weaknesses. However, am not one of those who always blames Davey, I only blame him when he's blameworthy. August 28, 2011 12:18 PM ________________________________My point in the last thread was Davey is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.FP just said the Nats aren't playing smart. I didn't mention that earler. Its a good point. Swinging at 1st pitches after a walk is a no-no. Ramos missed the sign on 3-0. Morse held the ball in LF instead of throwing the ball in.

23. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:09 PM

FP keeping with the theme on Jordan Zimmermann that he feels he has to be "perfect" and should be able to make a few mistakes. Steve put up some amazing stats on JZim's season and his deceptive W/L record.Very true.

24. baseballswami - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:11 PM

It is my opinion that Davey is not a good manager for this team – just thought I'd get that out there before he does anything I could possibly blame him for. Hoping for some run support for Jordan today – against Cueto, though. Drew Storen hasn't pitched in a week and probably needs to get in the game but might be rusty or "too strong". Let's break this losing streak!GYFNG!!!

25. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Not playing smart: Add Desi not charging the ball or making a hard throw so Drew Stubbs beat the throw to first. RZimm not at 3B for a possible pickoff. Morse throwing to 3rd instead of home (Zimm didn't help by holding up his hands for the ball, with his back to the play).

26. Big Cat - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM

If you bring up Marrero you should play him. Yes he made 2 errors, but he also had a couple smooth picks of balls in the dirt. One was a very tough inbetween hop from Desmond. His throw to second was not nearly as bad as it appeared. Desmond made no effort at all on it. He looked good at the plate for the most part. Lets give the kid a chance. Nix? A statue over there

27. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Big Cat, I don't always agree with Davey but I do on Marrero. Don't need to play Marrero every day because he is here. Throwing Marrero into the lineup against Cueto is ok if you have no other alternatives. The Nix LH matchup is more preferable I think.

28. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Big Cat: another point is this–if you don't play Marrero against "tough righties" he doesn't learn to hit them. Don't agree on the throw, Desi jumped up and reached for it as best he could without stepping on the runner.

29. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:22 PM

OK, scraped together a run! Thanks, Rick, Mike and Danny.

30. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Look at that aggresive play by the Nats. It didn't work and wasn't smart. NEVER MAKE THE 3RD OUT AT 3RD BASE. SHEESHBTW, that is 1 more run in support than JZim got in his last outing.

31. Big Cat - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Well Zim, there's your run. Don't blame the hitters if you lose

32. baseballswami - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:25 PM

Scoring in the first is a very good thing. Ok -3rd out at third, but getting on base early – maybe now they know they can get to Cueto.

33. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM

34. gonatsgo - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:32 PM

i have had my doubts about Morse in left but that was a pretty good play there up against the wall.And this park really is tiny, isn't it?

35. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM

NatsLady said… Can't have it both way. Either you are for aggressive base running (with the risk of 3rd out at 3rd, a no-no according to the "book") or you're not.Nice play, Cora. Oh, Jordan (sigh). Small park… August 28, 2011 1:29 PM_____________________________No difference running a double into a triple with 2 outs. Morse has to stop at 3rd. That is aggressive stupidity.With 1 out you try it. You don't do it with no outs or 2 outs especially.

36. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Nice pick. Needed that!

37. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM

From our news feed: "Johnson wants shortstop Ian Desmond and second baseman Danny Espinosa to get used to each other up the middle."Oh, I wasn't aware they were strangers. ?????

38. A DC Wonk - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:04 PM

NatsLady said… Big Cat: another point is this–if you don't play Marrero against "tough righties" he doesn't learn to hit them.But I think the bigger point is: let's break him in a bit slowly. I.e., let him get his sea legs a bit first before we expose him to tough righties. I'll bet any amount he _will_ be facing tough righties before Sept ends.

39. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM

Wonk, you might have a point there. Charlie and Dave seemed to think the major-league game was moving a little faster than Marrero expected.

40. Section 222 - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Yesterday FP was all impressed by Desi taking pitches. Today he's not taking pitches and FP is making excuses for him. And of course launches into a long story about himself that has little relevance to what's going on. Carp is silent. Getting tiresome.

41. baseballswami - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:37 PM

I kind of like angrier Jayson.

42. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Next time up, Jordan should just drill Hanigan between the numbers.

43. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:45 PM

222– don't you have a radio?

44. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Brandon Phillips–acting, if you ask me, and overdone.

45. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:47 PM

C'mon JZ, dig deep here.

46. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:48 PM

JZ needs this inning and another one to make 162, right?

47. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:49 PM

BS call right there on 0-1.Just this one, I think

48. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:50 PM

Yes, pitch tracker clearly showed it was a strike.

49. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:53 PM

50. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Well, well, well, Gorzy. Left 'em loaded.

51. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Yeah, man!Very happy to eat crow right there. Way to go, Gorzy.

52. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 6:58 PM

Wally said… This seems about as bad a way to end a great year as I could realistically think of. Hope I am wrong, but feels like all three of these stranded guys are coming home.Dog crap ump. Not the whole story, but clearly a big call August 28, 2011 2:53 PM ___________________________http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?s_type=3&sp_type=1&batterX=43&inning1=y&inning2=y&inning3=y&inning4=y&inning5=y&inning6=y&inning7=y&inning8=y&inning9=y&month=08&day=28&game=gid_2011_08_28_wasmlb_cinmlb_1%2F&year=2011&pitchSel=519455&prevGame=gid_2011_08_28_wasmlb_cinmlb_1%2FYep, JZim's 2nd pitch to Fred Lewis called a ball was a strike. Big difference 0-2 vs 1-1.Ump costs JZim once again. At least Gorzo came up big.

53. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:00 PM

Gonat, thanks for that website, I had been wondering how to track umps.

54. Section 222 - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:04 PM

NatLady — I do have a radio — it's about 5 seconds ahead of the MASN-HD feed, so that's annoying. Could try to sync my DVR with the MLB iPhone app audio broadcast, but feeling lazy. Besides, I like complaining about Carp and FP. Such easy targets. :-)On another note, JZnn needed 162 innings to qualify for league leader in ERA and other stats, right? He went 161 1/3. Maybe that's not reason enough to leave him in there, but it's unfortunate.

55. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM

NatsLady, you are welcome. You pitch differently in different counts and JZim just doesn't get the Ace respect by the Umps. Certainly doesn't get the Greg Maddux strike zone!

56. Section 222 - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Ouch that hurt. If they show the pitch track, it was probably on the corner, just like JZnn's pitch.On the Maddux strike zone, check out this thought provoking piece by Joe Posnanski. Livo figures prominently.http://joeposnanski.si.com/2011/08/18/the-ball-strike-machine/#more-7936

57. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Section 222, JZim's was clearly a strike and Desmond's was clearly a ball. 2 blown calls cost the Nats.Its so typical in JZim games.

58. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Also, another game of LOW run support by the Nats for JZim. I guess 2 runs is better than his norm of 0 or 1 while he is pitching….

59. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:19 PM

desmond's was right on the black, according to FP, and the replay, not to mention the scoreboard. The very definition of "too close to take" in that situation.

60. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Sec3, FP is wrong. Look at the Brooks link I gave above. Gomes swung and struck out on ball 4.

61. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM

222, maybe they can bring Znn in for a couple of outs somewhere? Probably a bad idea…

62. Anonymous8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I also think Davey needs to get out there and protect his players. Reminds me of Acta.

63. baseballswami - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:26 PM

Jordan Zimmermann has persevered over painful physical issues ( broken jaw and tj), this season he has had to persevere over a lack of run support, errors behind him, manager change, bullpen blowing his leads and an innings limit. I have no doubt that these things will make his already strong will harden into steel. Sometimes it's the hardest times that create the man. He has been really been tested. I think we are going to see a real grown up pitcher next year. Maybe as much as you would like to see things be a nice easy fairy tale, that doesn't create the kind of character that is necessary to become truly great. It's no secret that I am a huge fan of his. Good year, Jordan – now think it all over in the off-season and come back next year as a true ace!

64. Section 222 - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM

@Sec3 — I think that would be a good idea. He can pitch an inning along with the way without ruining his arm I would think@Gonat — "Clearly a ball"? I don't think so. Not according to the pitchtrack on MASN that they showed after the break. Blaming the failures of the Nats on the umps is silly. We need to start hitting in RISP. It's as simple as that.

65. gonatsgo - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Anon8 – have you ever seen that happen?

66. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM

222, it would be nice for JZ to get that inning for the 162. Davey nixed using him as a PH or PR for fear of injury.

67. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Anon8, good call. Davey is finally out and barking!

68. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Well, finally. Davey tossed! This is just nuts!!!!! Davey is really mad. Charlie and Dave are stunned.

69. baseballswami - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Well – finally – Davey protects one of his players and gets tossed. It's about time!

70. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM

I dunno, Gonat. If the graph is in fact more reliable, and the border they show for the strikezone represents the black on the outside, and the spot for the ball represents the center, that looks right on the black.www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?s_type=3&sp_type=1&batterX=50&inning6=y&month=08&day=28&game=gid_2011_08_28_wasmlb_cinmlb_1%2F&year=2011&pitchSel=456501&prevGame=gid_2011_08_28_wasmlb_cinmlb_1%2F

71. gonatsgo - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Unfortunately this has made the momentum clearly in the reds favor.

72. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Let's see if the Nats lay down now or fight. Show me.

73. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Whoa, was that Ball 4 to Morse? Looked like it swung back. During losing streaks, these games of inches get magnified.I also think sometimes the comments here end up becoming reality. Good call Anon8!

74. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM

75. Joe Seamhead - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:39 PM

MLB should be ashamed of themselves that Joe West is still an umpire. Every fan I know is sick of him making himself "the show." The guy is a Klingon bastard.

76. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM

OK, that last one was definitely too close to take, probably over the plate by quite a bit.

77. Get Some Players - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM

78. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Oh, come ON!! Can't they even walk a guy intentionally without almost throwing it away?

79. Get Some Players - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM

Edit: Eckstein

80. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Get Some Players said… What are those charts Eckseitn is constantly working on? They seem to be a waste of time. August 28, 2011 3:40 PM __________________________Um, execution?

81. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:43 PM

But then there's this.

82. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Joe SeamheadIn general, the umps just look much worse the last few years. It has to be the advances in technology allow them to be critiqued in real time with exactness. But their response has more and more been like West – belligerence and ego mania.I see no way that baseball can avoid expanded replay for much longer. It is just impossible to tolerate how bad they are.

83. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Well, they keep hanging around, don't they.Would love to win this game.

84. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Boy, you think the Nats aren't clutch? How about the Reds? Now, let's hope that swung the momentum back our way.

85. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:47 PM

… and this.

86. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Wally said… Just a downer that this is Zimm's last start of the year. He's been my favorite pitcher since he came up in 2009. Can't argue with the decision, just a bummer. I don't care much about the 162 innings. He finished at 3.18, So he is doubtful to be Top 10 in the NL.Awesome year. Probably not the best year by a SP in Nats history, but close. I guess Loaiza and maybe Patterson or Livo in 2005 were better cause of the additional innings.Hope the Nats extend him this offseason August 28, 2011 3:37 PM _____________________________I really like JZim. John Patterson probably put together some of the best starts in Nats history. JZim's quality starts streak was the best stretch I have seen by a Nats starter. I would say Patterson's 2005 by stats looks better than JZim's but Patterson got more run supports. You pitch differently when you are ahead.

87. A DC Wonk - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:51 PM

For those who were not able to have live media — can you describe the Davey-tossing event?

88. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:52 PM

and, of course, this.

89. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Sofa, didn't get the first link (page not found) but I remember the Guillen-Buerhle flap. I don't know how Joe West still has a job.

90. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:56 PM

DC Wonk, with Morse at bat, a pitch up and in seemed to hit him, and he started to first, but the home plate umpire didn't call it. Morse was incredulous, and starting to go after him. Johnson came out and got in between, and seemed to be arguing for getting some help from the right side, which they did. At which point Joe West, from THIRD base, the one place with no business here, tossed him and then turned and walked away. Davey went out to him at third and said a few words in anger, and then Morse got rung up on a fastball over the outside half.

91. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Morse hit by pitch, (on 3-0 count) but it was not called. Morse about half-way to first, realizes there's no call. Everyone heard the hit, dugout, etc., Davey comes out to argue. Asks the homeplate umpire to ask for help. At that point Joe West tosses Davey. Davey really mad, shaking his head, etc.

92. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM

sorry, NL. That link copied wrong. try this

93. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM

RZIMMMMMMMMMMMM!! All is forgiven. Why did they pitch to him?

94. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:00 PM

WOW, finally!!!!!!!!!!! RZim!

95. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:01 PM

OK, Davey, forget educating MPH. Get Clip and Storen up.

96. Anonymous8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:02 PM

Wild pitch comes back to haunt. Sorry Cueto! No win for you today!

97. A DC Wonk - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM

holy moley — I mean, I didn't see it, but since when does an ump X toss someone because that someone was arguing with ump Y? I'm not sure I've ever seen that!

98. dryw - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Oh Ryan, there are sooooo many reasons why I love you, and that was definitely one!

99. dryw - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Captcha code "wilads." Short for wilL adD sCORES? :-)

100. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM

But NatsLady, Davey has been tossed. He's not allowed to manage anymore today.(blink, blink)

101. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Well. That was not elegant. Another dropped ball in short-outfield and Morse then gives him an extra base.

102. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM

DC Wonk, you don't watch Joe West much, then.

103. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Sofa, you are right! Ha, got me on that one!

104. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:13 PM

Because he's certainly not standing just inside the tunnel.

105. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Riggs got in trouble for doing that. You get tossed, you get tossed. And he was bragging about finding a place to hide where he could still manage.

106. Waddu eye no - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:15 PM

107. A DC Wonk - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:15 PM

Sec 3, My Sofa said… DC Wonk, you don't watch Joe West much, then.Good thing for my health! ;-)I did just see Clip go "up the ladder" and strike out Hannigan for #2!

108. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Clipped!!!!!!!!!! Ah, my hero!

109. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM

I used to have fantasies of Joe West coming into a bar where I was sitting, and 86ing him, even tho it wasn't my bar.

110. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Waddu eye no: I'm with you on that one. Unfortunately, they'd have a guy on third–a little risky. Bean the ump and then throw a guy out at the plate on the ricochet? The mind boggles.

111. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM

And the bullpen has brought our chances of winning from 10.1% to even. Thank you. Now, up to the offense.

112. Anonymous8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM

Ian Desmond with his best series since he had that nice spot after the birth of his child. Much better plate discipline which is saying alot alot for Desi!Then he finaly gets steal #21. Now Werth needs to get him over to 3rd (or home)!

113. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:21 PM

NatsLady and Waddu, it's easier if you get him behind the plate, with a high fastball that Ramos –whoopsie!!–doesn't quite get the mitt up for.

114. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Waddu eye no said… Let hrod bean joe west with a pitch. He's so wild nobody would suspect foul play August 28, 2011 4:15 PM ___________________________You are talking on a pickoff play, right, since he isn't behind the plate today. LOL

115. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Jayson– way to go!!!!

116. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Werth-y!

117. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Gonat, with HRod, you're never sure.

118. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Oh, Jeez– they tossed Corales! Bo Porter is now in charge. Corales is mad also.

119. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

And a balk! For those not watching, the pitcher just dropped the ball. It just fell out of his hands. Very strange, guess he lost focus.

120. Section 222 - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Well, how about that? Desmond successfully steals for the first time in months, and Werth drives him in on the 10th pitch of the at bat. Now Drew gets to come on for the save. And Bo Porter could get his first win as a manager. This could be one of the better come back wins of the season. GYFNG!

121. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:30 PM

And now they tossed Pat Corrales. Sheesh. Watch your mouth, Bo, or Pudge might wind up managing a little sooner than he'd planned.

122. JaneB - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

I'm watching and I don't get why they tossed Corrales. Nor do I get why Werth just ran. Sheesh. But I do know Drew saves this game.

123. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Good gracious, that's a boneheaded play in a 48+ rec league. WTF, Werth?

124. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Add Jayson Werth's brain f*rt on the basepaths to just another mental mistake.

125. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Jane, somebody in the Nats dugout was complaining about the balls and strikes, apparently, and Corrales, rightly or not, got blamed for it.

126. JaneB - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I would like Bo to get LOTS of wins. As OUR manager.GYFNG!Capcha: boplus. Exactly.

127. Anonymous8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM

@Gonat "Here is the BIG difference I see, Davey doesn't play aggressive which gets these guys into the game and the adrenalaine flowing. August 27, 2011 11:02 PM " Perfect time for your conversation you started last night. I didn't copy over your whole part about stealing bases, etc. Just wanted to say that someone finally decided to get aggressive today. Mostly aggressively stupid and then that steal by Desmond set up the go ahead run. I liked the earlier pickoff play, the attempt of a hit-and-run so this was the most aggressive Davey has been witnessed by him getting thrown out of the game also.

128. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Go, Drew, Go! It would be SO SWEET to win this one.

129. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM

OOH, Jane, good one. Can BoPlus be his nickname?

130. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM

And Drew blows it! I hope his roomie gives to him bad!!

131. Anonymous8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Can the Nats catch a break?!?

132. Anonymous8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:41 PM

What is the word, BLOWPU when referring to the bullpen? That was BLOWPU

133. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Ankiel!!!! You may wish he hit better but you gotta love that arm.

134. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM

RICK ANKIEL

135. JaneB - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM

Ankiel! Awesome throw!And the capcha for this is: sendit! Incredible.

136. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM

I am with FP, that might be the best OF throw I've seen.

137. Anonymous8 - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM

See, there was 1 out there and good aggressiveness by the Reds. Great play by Ankiel!

138. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Anon8, there's your break.

139. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Anon8, agreed. Big assist to Bixler for getting the hop!

140. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:47 PM

Huge K on Votto, especially down 3-0. It looked like he wanted no part of him, and then some sick sliders.Is it me, or has Carp gotten a little more critical of the Nats since his extension wasn't picked up? Kind of like he is distancing himself some?

141. Section 222 - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM

That throw was reminiscent of Clemente and Ichiro. Unreal.

142. baseballswami - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Drew hadn't pitched in a week as far as I can remember. I was concerned about that going in. He then got some help from ankiel and then locked it down. Here we go again.

143. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM

That throw will have an ancillary benefit: It'll be a Web Gem, other teams will see it and run even less on Ankiel. So, Rick, get your average up and you'll never sit on the bench.

144. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:52 PM

MPH and Ballystar left in the 'pen. Livo up to bunt? Has to go get his shoes! Love it.

145. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Losers got to Lose. Six in a row looking for lsdt place before 28 September.

146. JaneB - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Livo! Come on Livo!

147. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Expression on Livo's face is priceless! He is so happy.

148. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Last Place is calling

149. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:54 PM

This feels like luck turning. Green light, Livo.

150. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM

He's wearing Beast Mode gloves! Swing away, big man!

151. JaneB - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM

Anon, go suck a lemon. Seriously. You don't belong here.

152. Cwj - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Yeah Livo! :)I love this guy. What a character :)

153. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Livo– open up that bunting school. He is one funny guy.

154. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:56 PM

They're putting Bixler on? Has he ever been intentionally walked?

155. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM

All the money in the world that Desmond can't get the runner in…NO CHANCE! NONE!

156. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Bo knows.

157. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM

That was classic Livo. The whole thing looked like a classic cluster****, but Livo delivered.Just have to laugh.Desi – be smart! Or just get a hit

158. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM

in baseball and blogging, it's no use trying harder.

159. JaneB - Aug 28, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Bo is gonna beat Dusty. Right. Now.

160. Wally - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Wow. Just wow.

161. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Oh, sh***************************

162. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Hey Losers gotta Lose! IAN DESMOND is the perfect example.

163. Andrew - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Anon @5:01, shove it!

164. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:02 PM

You know the worst thing about all this? We have to see that WB Mason commercial again.

165. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Bo opts for the adventure. MPH is in.

166. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Just ignore, Andrew. He's the Joe West of this site.

167. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:03 PM

I would have pitched Drew Storen for 2 as fresh as he is, but hey, thats me.

168. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

H-ROD will get us out of here quick. Shouldn't be much longer now.

169. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Gonat, he was pinch hit for, wasn't he?

170. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:05 PM

Maybe what HRod needs is better facial hair. I think he'd be scarier with facial hair.

171. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Wasn't that where Livan bunted, NatsLady?

172. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:10 PM

strike out this guy, I don't care what base Stubbs gets left on.

173. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:11 PM

NatsLady said… Gonat, he was pinch hit for, wasn't he? August 28, 2011 5:04 PM ______________________________Thanks. I thought they double switched but it was in Cora's spot where Storen went.

174. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Henry, when you go 0-2 on two batters with two out, you are supposed to be out of the inning!!!

175. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM

you may well be right, I wasn't sure myself.

176. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:14 PM

You give Henry Rodriguez pressure and he folds up like a cheap tent. This guy just is not MLB quality.

177. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:15 PM

LOL H Rod threw an out pitch like he can afford to throw one. He' IS THE WORST PLAYER TO HAVE IN THE GAME in the late innings Dave Johnson

178. Gonat - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Sec 3, Livo did technically pinch hit for Storen in Cora's vacated spot.

179. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:17 PM

Anon, you were saying???????????

180. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Phew.

181. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:18 PM

We knew he could do that. Had it all the way. Here comes the big Curly for HRod.

182. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:19 PM

Only thing is (I hate away games) even if we get ahead, we still have to pitch the bottom of the 11th. Henry's gotta be gassed, physically and mentally. (He pitched last night, too).

183. Andrew - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:21 PM

The Nats need a HR here to get ahead!

184. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Yes, could use a 2 run homer from Morse because Bally, well, Bally…

185. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Go ahead Natslady…say it…Bally says "Losers Gotta Lose"

186. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Here comes Marrero with a chance to be the hero.

187. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:26 PM

Make me eat my regrets, Chris Marrero!

188. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

oooh, that was his pitch, there.

189. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:28 PM

No Chance in H*ll

190. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:30 PM

191. Sec 3, My Sofa - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:30 PM

I gotta go feed the cats. Don't be feeding nothing else while I'm gone, OK?

192. NatsLady - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Wow, no trust for Bally at all.

193. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Here comes H-Rod for some more pain and a chance to be the Goat…well Storen already has that one sewn up today. But he can have a supporting role since he's not a real major league pitcher.

194. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM

Morse hitless. Marrero has one hit, but was stranded on 3rd top of 10th. Hold 'em, Henry!

195. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:33 PM

Bally going two innings for the win. My prediction. You wanna watch losers, there is a team in Fed-Ex field, help yourself, anon.That's RIght How Bout Dem Cowboys!

196. Anonymous - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:37 PM

And so it begins…a Walk is there a wild pitch a pass ball or stolen base or wild throw in te cards? I Promise

197. flynnie - Aug 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM

Throw that devil's fire over the plate, Henry!