Aug 29, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jordan Zimmermann's breakthrough was a key development of the season.
First off, an explanation for the lack of postings on the site over the weekend and why it's probably going to remain this way for the immediate future. As you probably know, my wife and I have been expecting our first child all season. His official due date is Oct. 4, but he is definitely going to be born before that, almost certainly in the next two weeks. (What can I say? The kid just really wants to see Stephen Strasburg with his own eyes!) The good news is, both Mrs. Z and Baby Z are healthy. We're just playing the waiting game now, which of course prevents me from covering the team the way I normally do. Thanks for understanding; can't wait to post the news (and hopefully some photos) once the big day arrives!
OK, back to baseball. The Nationals got swept in Cincinnati over the weekend, three disheartening losses that featured plenty of frustrating moments. They're off today, spending their time in Atlanta before opening a three-game series against the Braves tomorrow night.
What I'd like to do with this off-day posting is pose a couple of questions to all of you: 1) What has been the most significant development of the 2011 season to date? and 2) What remains the most significant development that could play out over the next month?
Let's start with the most significant development to date. To me, there are no shortage of candidates. You've got Jordan Zimmermann's full return from Tommy John surgery and ascension to front-lineRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health
- VIDEO: Bryce Harper's hair is on fire and he plays the ukulele
- Asdrubal Cabrera fitting in with Nats in first few weeks since trade
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett will 'probably' retire after this season
- Desmond leads way with 4 RBI in Nationals' 8th straight win