Sep 2, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats are back in town for the start of a 10-game homestand.
Losers in eight of their last nine games, the Nationals have seen their one-time firm hold on third place in the NL East come apart. They enter this weekend's series three games behind the Mets for the third slot in the division, so there's plenty at stake at Nationals Park beginning tonight.
Ross Detwiler gets the start, looking to continue his recent run of success. Danny Espinosa gets an extremely rare day off — he's now started all but four games this season, and in the previous three he's still come off the bench to play — so Alex Cora is at second base.
Also, Roger Bernadina is back, recalled from Class AAA Syracuse because the Nats need another healthy outfielder with Laynce Nix battling a groin injury. He and reliever Doug Slaten are the first official September call-ups. Tom Milone will join the group tomorrow and make his big-league debut. More guys should be coming next week after Syracuse's season comes to an end.
I'm still on the paternity leave list, taking care of Mrs. Z and baby Brian, who are both doing well. It's going to be an exciting weekend at the Zuckerman house, with grandparents, aunts, uncles and others invading the place. Enjoy tonight's game…
METS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly sunny, 78 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to LF
SS Ian Desmond
CF Rick Ankiel
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon
- PHOTO: Nats will wear jersey patch to recognize 10th anniversary
- Michael Morse is headed to the World Series with Giants