Game 137: Mets at Nats

Sep 3, 2011, 8:14 PM EDT

File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats are back in town for the start of a 10-game homestand.

While plenty of his fellow Nationals farmhands were receiving all kinds of attention and hype, Tom Milone simply went about his business and pitched his tail off. And tonight — after going a combined 36-16 with a 2.99 ERA and a ridiculous 416-to-75 strikeout-to-walk ratio the last three seasons — the 24-year-old lefty makes his big-league debut.

Milone, a 10th-round pick out of USC in 2008, isn't an overpowering pitcher. So his command will need to be superior tonight against the Mets' lineup. Dillon Gee, who has enjoyed a surprisingly strong season himself, starts for New York.

The Nats are featuring an interesting look tonight. Roger Bernadina is back in the lineup, but he's in right field with Jayson Werth in center field. Jesus Flores, who caught Milone plenty of times this season at Syracuse, is behind the plate.

Enjoy the game (and for those attending in person, the postgame concert by Lifehouse)…

METS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 84 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to LF

STARTING LINEUPS
SS Ian Desmond
RF Roger Bernadina
LF Michael Morse

1. natsfan1a - Sep 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Speaking of Nyjer, as Joe Seamhead was, was clicking over to MLB Network during breaks last night and Morgan had a highlight reel catch in Houston. After the play, he did that palms-up arm raise thing that football players do when they're inciting the crowd to cheer/boo louder.Sunderland, not sure if it will let me use the code here without a URL but I had an assist from the web browser: text in which link will be embedded here

2. JaneB - Sep 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM

1a, I'm in on both counts!Lifehouse set up in about 15 minutes, right around where Shortstops live. Loud. Said it was a thrilling game.Did I mention loud? Left after about 8 songs. Crowd into it and more stayed than I expected.

3. natsfan1a - Sep 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Okay, that didn't work. Let's try this.First you type a left elbow bracket. Inside the left elbow bracket you type the followinga href="URL" (with the actual URL being inside the quotes)Then you type a right elbow bracket. Following the right elbow bracket you type the word(s) in which you want the link to be embedded.To finish it up you type a left elbow bracket followed by /a and a right elbow bracket.

4. natsfan1a - Sep 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM

And cool, Sunderland and JaneB. Who else wants to throw some Dream Foundation love Livo's way?

5. sunderland - Sep 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Watch Nyjer's catch. He obviously enjoyed it. Glad he seems to be in a good place in MIL. I loved his heart, was confounded by his head. That trade was good for everyone (except maybe the P-Nats).

6. natsfan1a - Sep 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Agreed, Sunderland. I remarked to my tv set at the time that the change of scenery seems to have been good for him.

7. Dave - Sep 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM

@Sunderland, I didn't stay for the whole concert, but I sat and did my scorebook totals as they got started. It was loud, but as recent rock goes, it was more or less my cup of tea: fairly melodic alt-rock. Audience sat in the stands (mostly lower bowl), although a couple hundred people were allowed to go onto the field and stand on the infield dirt in front of the stage. (I don't know how those folks were selected; I guess they're just special.)I was very impressed with the logistics. In what seemed like less than a minute after Zimmy's broken-bat bloop fell, the grounds crew was rolling a bunch of trailers out through the centerfield gate (where the racing presidents come through). The trailers were pre-set with all the sound equipment and instruments. They must've been ready to play in about 15 minutes after the game was over. All rolling and walking was done on the dirt paths (warning track and infield dirt). No grass was harmed in the staging of this concert.Some concession stands–including alcohol–were kept open, or re-opened, for the show. The stadium lights stayed full.I would guesstimate there were maybe 5,000-6,000 people who stayed for the concert–maybe more.They were loud, though. As my brother and I were walking up Half Street to get to the under-the-freeway parking lot, we could still hear the band at L street.

8. Joe Seamhead - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM

So, Gonat, are you saying that all of the time, work,and expense the Nats put into Chris Marrero was for naught? Like NatsLady, I don't see MM as a long term, full time 1B, but you may be right.As far as Morse's arm, last year when he played RF he made some very good throws all the way to third. I'd rate his arm as very good, but not Rick Ankiel good, but then again, how many people can throw a baseball like it's been shot from a 7mm Remington Magnum? Morse also hits the cut-off when he's supposed to.

9. NatsLady - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I keep the model for links and other stuff on Notepad and then copy it over. One final point: the 30K rule for vendors struck again. (34K at the game last night).Went out during the President's race to get something to eat (so, NOT late in the game).Sausages, not ready. Popcorn, not ready. Some other yummy looking item, after I paid for it they said it would take 10-15 minutes to be ready. I got a refund. Finally "settled" for the tomato and basil pizza–which I really like, BUT no pepper or cheese packets left and no napkins left, had to hunt around for napkins.The vendors have GOT to up their game if we get a winning team.

10. Gonat - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Joe, Morse isn't starting today BTW. Morse is a Free Agent after 2013 so Chris Marrero is your insurance right now if Morse leaes. I think CM can be a 2012 Bench role guy and could play against Lefty pitching. Some will think Marrero needs to play every day. Many teams don't subscribe to that theory unless the player is a sure thing. I am not sure Marrero is a sure thing. I do think he will be better than a Jonny Gomes and can help this team.

11. NatsLady - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Didn't stay for the concert but on the postgame they said it was planned for 20 minutes after the game and it was EXACTLY on target. Their guitar player did the National Anthem and he was excellent and got a really loud cheer. Traffic was wonderfully light on the way home…

12. Anonymous8 - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:22 PM

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/305130?eref=twitter_feedEnjoy this link about Jayson Werth and the Phillies comments to follow.

13. Anonymous8 - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Jayson Werth Facts and RumorsLet's see if this link thing works.

14. NatsLady - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:30 PM

A8–yup it works, and yup I knew that about Werth, he's one of the ones I track.

15. natsfan1a - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Yep, it worked. Well done, A8. I read the Bos piece earlier this a.m.

16. Gonat - Sep 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM

OH HENRY NOOOOOOOOLet me try this on Henry's wild pitch record pace. Not good. Sometimes being mentioned side by side with a top pitcher for the Yankees would be good stuff.