Sep 3, 2011, 8:14 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats are back in town for the start of a 10-game homestand.
While plenty of his fellow Nationals farmhands were receiving all kinds of attention and hype, Tom Milone simply went about his business and pitched his tail off. And tonight — after going a combined 36-16 with a 2.99 ERA and a ridiculous 416-to-75 strikeout-to-walk ratio the last three seasons — the 24-year-old lefty makes his big-league debut.
Milone, a 10th-round pick out of USC in 2008, isn't an overpowering pitcher. So his command will need to be superior tonight against the Mets' lineup. Dillon Gee, who has enjoyed a surprisingly strong season himself, starts for New York.
The Nats are featuring an interesting look tonight. Roger Bernadina is back in the lineup, but he's in right field with Jayson Werth in center field. Jesus Flores, who caught Milone plenty of times this season at Syracuse, is behind the plate.
Enjoy the game (and for those attending in person, the postgame concert by Lifehouse)…
METS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 84 degrees, Wind 5 mph out to LF
SS Ian Desmond
RF Roger Bernadina
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Who's better right now?
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo