Sep 6, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg is scheduled to return to the mound at Nationals Park tonight.
It was precisely 381 days ago when Stephen Strasburg unleashed a 91-mph changeup to the Phillies' Domonic Brown at Citizens Bank Park and immediately winced in pain, the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow having snapped, the most-hyped rookie season in baseball history having come to a screeching halt.
Weather permitting — and it certainly doesn't look like it's going to permit it — Strasburg will be back on a big-league mound tonight for the first time since throwing that fateful changeup in Philadephia. The Nationals' right-hander will become merely the latest in a growing line of big-name pitchers to make it all the way back from Tommy John surgery, a procedure with a 90 percent success rate.
Having completed six rehab starts at four different levels of the Nationals' farm system, Strasburg firmly believes he's a better pitcher now than he was pre-surgery. His fastball velocity still approaches 100 mph, his curveball has as much bite as ever and his changeup is as devastating as any he threw as a rookie.
Strasburg, though, also knows what every pitcher returning from Tommy John surgery knows: There's no way to predict how theseRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss