Sep 7, 2011, 5:26 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Stephen Strasburg was brilliant in his 2011 debut.
Pitchers making their first start since undergoing Tommy John surgery aren’t supposed to toss five scoreless innings. They aren’t supposed to hit 99 mph on the radar gun. They aren’t supposed to display the kind of efficiency and consistency normally reserved for guys who have never had any elbow issues.
So the Nationals were careful not to place any expectations on Stephen Strasburg’s 2011 debut Tuesday night. Given the fact he hadn’t been on a big-league mound in 381 days, and given the uncertainty that surrounded this start against the Dodgers because of a forecast that called for a 100 percent chance of rain, the Nationals were pleased simply to hand him the ball again.
And then Strasburg unleashed his first big-league pitch in 12 1/2 months — a 96-mph fastball to Dee Gordon — and everyone suddenly remembered what makes this right-hander different from everyone else.
“That is the norm for Tommy John,” pitching coach Steve McCatty said of the struggles other hurlers usually experience in their return outings. “But ask yourself: Is this guy normal?”
No, he really isn’t, a fact Strasburg confirmed over and over again during his five innings of brilliance Tuesday night.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list