Sep 9, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The sun is out and the Nats and Astros will open their series tonight.
Take a good, long look at that above photo. I took it a few minutes ago. Yes, that is indeed sunshine over Nationals Park, something we haven't seen in quite some time. Thus, the Nats and Astros will open their weekend series this evening with only a slight threat of rain after a water-logged week against the Dodgers.
Tom Milone makes his second career start, hoping to build off the good things he did in his debut last week (three scoreless innings to begin the night, not to mention a home run on the first big-league pitch he ever faced as a batter) while avoiding the big four-run inning that did him in.
Milone will have plenty of familiar faces behind him. Former Syracuse teammates Chris Marrero and Steve Lombardozzi are in the lineup, with Lombardozzi making his first start at shortstop and leading off in place of Ian Desmond. Right-hander Bud Norris starts for the Astros, owners of baseball's worst record.
I'm back at the ballpark and back on the beat through the rest of the season, so please check back often for plenty of updates…
ASTROS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Partly cloudy, 76 degrees, Wind 3 mph RF to LF
SS Steve Lombardozzi
RF Rick Ankiel
3B Ryan Zimmerman
LF Michael Morse
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence
- Phillies' All-Star likely to begin season on disabled list
- Report: AL Central team interested in former Nats closer Soriano
- Zimmermann contract talks "not looking good"
- Another Nats injury: Zimmerman banged up on diving play at first
- Former Nats All-Star wins closer job with Oakland Athletics
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards