Sep 9, 2011, 12:16 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Drew Storen gave up three ninth-inning runs to take the loss.
The Nationals fell to the Dodgers, 7-4, on Thursday afternoon after closer Drew Storen allowed three runs in the top of the ninth inning to take the loss.
Pitching in just his third game since Aug. 22, and with rain pouring down, Storen (6-3) looked shaky from the start of the ninth. He hit Jerry Sands with a 97 mph pitch in the back, then allowed a single to Rod Barajas to spot two men on. Two batters later Tony Gwynn, Jr. doubled to center over Jayson Werth’s head and L.A. took a lead it would not relinquish.
Manager Davey Johnson was asked after the game if gripping the ball was an issue.
“I don’t think it was a weather thing, he just didn’t have command today,” he said. “He’s been logging a lot of innings and has had some rough spots at times, but it’s his first real full year so I can deal with that.”
Storen also downplayed the rain as a factor.
“It didn’t seem to affect anybody else, I’m not going to sit here and make excuses. I just didn’t get it done, it’s just one of those days,” he said.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Monday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Monday's games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- LaRoche: Nats unlikely to bring me back in '15
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1