Sep 10, 2011, 3:58 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth is mobbed by Michael Morse and Jonny Gomes after his 11th-inning hit.
It’s far too late in the season for a team like the Nationals to salvage the big picture. Even with Friday night’s 4-3, 11-inning victory over the Astros, this club is 10 games under .500 with 20 to play. Any realistic shot at a winning record has long since vanished.
And the Nationals have run out of time to snap out of their yearlong offensive funk and finish with some respectable numbers at the plate.
But there still are small victories to be won, individual accomplishments and important developments that will allow everyone to head home for the winter feeling a bit better about themselves and their team.
Friday’s extra-inning game featured several of those small victories, starting with the man who wound up delivering the game-winning hit … well, sort of. With two on and one out in the 11th, Jayson Werth smashed a hard grounder toward third base. Houston’s Jimmy Paredes (who had just entered the game) had trouble corralling the ball, then made a late and off-line throw to second base. The ball squirted
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup