Sep 11, 2011, 3:34 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
John Lannan was tagged for six runs in the third inning before getting yanked.
The ball trickled about 40 feet from the plate, between the mound and third base, a little dribbler that might have allowed John Lannan to escape the third inning Saturday night without suffering extensive damage.
Instead, the inning collapsed on Lannan and the Nationals when the left-hander picked up the ball and rushed a throw to the plate that wound up sailing way off-line and allowing two runs to score.
Realizing the magnitude of his error, Lannan fell to his knees and threw both hands onto his head, a look of utter defeat.
“I really don’t show that emotion on the field. I showed some there,” he said. “Really down on myself for making that errant throw.”
Moments later — after he had allowed another run to score on a suicide squeeze fielded by nobody — Lannan was out of the game and the Nationals were well on their way to a 9-3 loss to the Astros that included as ugly an inning as they’ve featured all season.
“In reality, I think I should just let the ball go and let [third baseman Ryan Zimmerman] have it,” Lannan said. “But it happened so fast that I just want to kind of get an out there, and I think I had a little more
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best