Sep 11, 2011, 10:31 PM EDT
Photo via Jesus Flores’ Twitter account
Stephen Strasburg (in red) and others were forced to dress as Smurfs postgame.
Much as he and everyone else would like to believe it, Stephen Strasburg knows he’s not going to have a perfect feel for his pitches every time he takes the mound in his return from Tommy John surgery.
Strasburg, though, was able to take some comfort in knowing he was able to rediscover that touch by the third inning of Sunday’s start against the Astros, resulting in an 11-pitch inning and his best stuff of the afternoon.
The only thing that could stop the Nationals right-hander at that point, unfortunately, was the quick hook of manager Davey Johnson, who decided not to push the young hurler too much and pulled him after only three innings and 57 pitches.
Strasburg wasn’t pleased when Johnson informed him of the plan.
“Just three?” he asked his manager in the home dugout.
“Yeah, just three,” Johnson replied.
Several hours later, after the Nationals had wrapped up an 8-2 victory over Houston, Strasburg was less upset about the quick hook.
“It’s pretty frustrating,” he said. “But knowing Davey from the Olympics, he’s got my best interests in mind. I trust him 100 percent.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss